veneers and neck-through blanks

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

scuffle
Myrtle

veneers and neck-through blanks

Post by scuffle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:00 pm

hey everyone!

this is probably a question more for solid body builders (especially perry ormsby because i have seen him do this). i know there aren't many here but i thought id give it a shot.

im trying to find some ebony or rosewood (some type of dark timber) veneer for using as accents in a neck-through blank. i need it at least 1000mm long and about 3 inch wide.
i will be gluing them up in between 3 piece flame maple neck blank.

does anyone know where i can find this stuff? ive checked all the suppliers listed but im thinking i may have to go abroad to find it.

any help is much appreciated.

Andrew
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

Nick
Blackwood

Re: veneers and neck-through blanks

Post by Nick » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:06 am

I've used dyed maple veneer in the past Andrew and yes, it came from the States (http://www.constantines.com/blackdyedveneers.aspx). If you want thicker pieces then LMI do wide (75mm +) ebony fingerboard blanks for 5 & 6 string basses. Probably an expensive way of doing it but there aren't many alternatives if you want that dark 'skunk stripe' look.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 am

awesome! thats exactly what i want! thanks for that mate.
do you remember roughly how much postage was? i have sent them an email but no saying how long it will take them to get back to me :)

thanks again,
Andrew
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:56 am

scuffle wrote:awesome! thats exactly what i want! thanks for that mate.
do you remember roughly how much postage was? i have sent them an email but no saying how long it will take them to get back to me :)

thanks again,
Andrew
Sorry Andrew, I can't remember how much the postage was but I know since I got it that the USPS rates went up a stupid amount so don't be too surprised if the postage is the same, if not more, value as the veneers.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:39 pm

thanks nick. i did email them a couple of days ago but still havent heard from them :( i dont mind paying $40 or $50 as long as i dont get some ludicrous bill from them.
i might just order some and see how it goes :)

thanks again!

Andrew
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Scuffle - where do you live? someone might be able to suggest local supplier. eg. I can do that for Melbourne. Frank

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:34 am

I'm no help sorry, I have used veneer in neckthru blanks a few times, but the most of it was given to me by a luthier friend who said he would never use it, so I scored long lengths of Brazilian Rosewood enough for a few guitars. Now all gone.

I've used maple veneer in neckthru, I can't even remember where I got that from, was some random online store.

I also had some Brazilian Rosewood veneer that came from a wood bending place in Daylesford, however I've never been to their workshop as I picked it up from a stall they had at a wood expo. Problem is most of their veneers were wrinkled so I'd be worried about buying site unseen.

Herr Dalbergia
Gidgee

Post by Herr Dalbergia » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:01 am

Perhaps (quite sure...) they can help you, you might ask for fumed oak in black color from Mehling & Wiesmann

http://www.briggs.com.au/

http://www.briggs.com.au/veneer_details.php?id=164

cheers, alex

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:36 am

Bit late to the party on this one. Check ebay. Or even ebays (i.e. various countries). Often some interesting stuff showing up.

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 pm

cheers guys. lots of ideas to check

i also found this place http://www.topveneer.com.au/ in my travels. they seem to have some nice natural wood veneers but that would sort of be wasted with what im doing :(
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

pmatolcsy
Wandoo

Post by pmatolcsy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:02 am

I am currently building a neck through stratish custom with a birdseye fender "skunkstripe " style one piece neck . I fret sloted the 2" x 3.5" neck blank whole then milled the truss slot in the back. Then profiled neck and incorporated the flame maple laminate body. Bound the fretboard and still had time to jam the blues that same night .Fastest guitar i've ever built (2 days).Its being sanded after 14hrs of work by its happy new owner. I,'ll post pics once complete. I'm also doing a Koa one the same way.

maple can be stained to look like almost anything but this one was a beautiful heartwood birdseye(dark) married to dead white flamed soft maple wings and is a real stunner.

be back soon with pics