My first bolt on.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

My first bolt on.

Post by rocket » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:33 pm

IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2210.JPG (100.06 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG (127.01 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG (124.9 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG (84.52 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG (125.55 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG (148 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG (105.88 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG (107.17 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG (130.17 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
So now that i've got a few self inflicted hiccups out of the road, IE, move house, settle into new job, guitar festival, i'm back in the shop with a vengeance .
I started this build for a customer about Feb this year and am just now fitting the neck, now that's what i call dragging the chain!! :oops: :oops: Thankfully the customer is very understanding :D :D .
Anyways it is evident that it is a 17" archtop featuring, curly maple b+s, sitka top,Indian rosewood f/b , Qld maple neck and jarrah bindings, laminations and headstock veneers.
This is my first bolt on job, i usually use a set dovetail neck, and my question to the forum is,, should i and specifically where would i also add a bit of glue on final assembly?? neck joint is at the 14th so i'm thinking a bit of hide glue between the extension and the top around the 15th would be suitable, My thoughts are that if one of my instruments come back to me and a neck removal is necessary a bolt on is the go but i still like the the idea that i have some glue in there to help with stability and with some hide in that position it should be fairly easy to loosen, what say Ye??
Cheers,,,
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: My first bolt on.

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 pm

For mine, if you have two decent bolts, forget the glue.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm

I've built two bolt on 17" archies with two bolt neck joints and no glue. They haven't moved I am very happy with this type of neck attachment. I too have a specially made tool that inserts through the input jack hole and the neck can be removed very quickly.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:30 am

Very nice guitar!

I use the William Cumpiano joint and a 20mm diameter spot of hide glue between the extension and the top, as close to the end of the extension as possible for maximum leverage. This helps prevent any slippage of the bolts and insures no funny vibrations between the top and extension. Getting the glue spot apart takes 10 minutes with a hot spatula (I've done it twice to make neck angle adjustments). I agree the glue may not be needed, but it gives me a little piece of mind and is a very minor hinderance to getting the neck apart if need be.

What size/kind of bolt and washer do you use? What is the configuration of the business end of your wrench. I use 1/4 furniture bolts ala Cumpiano, the kind with the large flat head, 4mm allen socket, but this is with a sound hole, not f holes, so access is not an issue. I ask because I have an f hole guitar project coming up.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:39 am

Firstly I will say there's something rather sexy and organic about an Archie in the white and never tire of looking at them :oops:
As far as glue on the neck joint I'm with Trevor and Alan, sort of defeats the purpose of having a bolt on neck if you are then going to put some glue on it. As long as you have a structurally strong neck area (which you will being an archtop),the neck registered adequately with the body (by way of a mortice and tenon or some other positive registration method) and the bolts snugged up firmly, I'd put money on it that it ain't gonna move. :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks for your opinions there people, all preferences are duly noted. My next observation is that now that the bolt on neck is imminent i'll have the opportunity to finish to polish stage the neck and body separately and then bolt the two components together and setup, this would give unhindered access to the neck/ body intersection for a complete rub back and final polish and avoid the uneven sheen that is apparent when the instrument is polished with the neck in position. For those of you using the bolt on method, is this your preferred modus operandi??,, once again your thoughts will be greatly appreciated :) :)
Cheers,,
Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 pm

"Flat" tops only, but definitely finish separately, buff separately, assemble. After the final finish coats and a hardening period (i.e. just before rub out and buff) I do a test assembly to make sure everything still lands where it should and make any adjustments before the final cut and polish.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi All....I have been doing bolt on necks since day one of my building and have recently started to do the BoltOnBoltOff neck joint from Trevor's book and it really is an impressive connection. Solid as a rock. I really like the concept of a continuation of the neck support under the fingerboard on the body and how it is built into and around a massive head-block. Four bolts, no glue, take it off and put it back on with everything going back exactly where it was before. A simple jig to make and your away....Thanks Trevor!
Attachments
P1010547.JPG
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:45 pm

IMG_2232.JPG
IMG_2232.JPG (113.75 KiB) Viewed 9701 times
IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2230.JPG (125.26 KiB) Viewed 9701 times
Good weather for a bit of jam today, here's a couple of pics of that bolton job. :D :D
Cheers,,
Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Wow Rod....that is a lovely look you have going there with the Maple and the Jarrah....

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:28 am

Trevor's bolt on design is great, I can't wait to try it out on my next build. Guitar looks awesome too!

Col

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:24 am

Stunning
Jeremy D