Recycled timber build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

martintaylor
Blackwood

Recycled timber build

Post by martintaylor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 am

Hi all,

I have almost finished a build using some recycled timber and thought I'd share some pics. The back and sides are from an old Silky Oak dresser from about 1910-1920 that was beyond repair. It had been "restored" several times by less than skilled amateurs and was a bit butchered. When I found it, I noticed that the top was quarter sawn and looked big enough to get a back and sides out of it. The neck is some recycled cedar that a friend had stored for about 20 years and was about to use it as replacement fence palings (scored about 10 quarter sawn "palings" from him) and the top is some Celery Top that was given to me to experiment with. I've also used some of the cedar for the bracings on the top and some old QLD maple offcuts for other bits. Admittedly t is a big experiment but so far the box sounds really nice and bright. Anyway, here are some pics and when she's done I'll see if I can get some recordings done too.

Martin

lauburu
Blackwood

Re: Recycled timber build

Post by lauburu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 am

I absolutely love the concept of "re-purposing" wood to make musical instruments and this is a fine example. Looking forward to the sound clips.
Miguel

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:24 am

Most people would not believe it's true. I'd call this recycling at its best! :cl :cl :cl
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 am

I love the recycling idea, and the guitar does not show it. looks real good.
Taff

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 am

Nice one Martin, I have a set of that out of a old self I picked up in the council cyclone curb clean up. There is one nail hole in each side I need to patch but I don't mind that when the set is free.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 am

Sssh Martin not so loud with this recycled talk, John will hear you.

Steve

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Martin
I just started a silky oak build myself .
I was given a nice board by a friend to try out i will be interested to hear how yours sounds.
Yours is looking great .
Regards Steve

H3ytm@n
Blackwood

Post by H3ytm@n » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Martin
The guitar is looking great!!
I made a couple of guitars using recycled Silky a couple of years ago. They certainly sounded fine.
The first combined Silky back sides & a hoop pine top (all from the local timber demolitions) and is still going strong.
There is a sound clip here if your interested, but only recorded on a iphone:
http://youtu.be/M_CR-0JF5Oc

The other had a milky pine top - which I would not recommend, the timber splintered around the bridge at about 9 months. But it did sound ok.
Sound clip here if you're interested (also on the iphone):
http://youtu.be/QQZlQpH_82s

Cheers
Mike

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Silky must be the flavour of the month. I'm currently building a 6 string, fanned fret bass...

Recycled; silky oak top (scrap resawed), kauri pine core (sunday school pews), mango back (old desk panels)

The neck is Vic ash.
Pete

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 pm

It looks good mate. There is a tonne of old furniture here made of the stuff and you get it cheap. I bought a dining table made in 1920 from a bloke for $50 and had to listen to a story of how his grandad ate his breakfast at it when he was a kid - I told him I was restoring it because I felt bad, but quickly chopped it up. I noticed it seems very light compared to some other silky I have, so should be good for my next one, if I ever get through moving house.

Cheers

Col

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

OK, finally finished this build. The guitar is pretty responsive but the tone is a little muted compared to my other builds. The overall feel and sound of the guitar is good and it has started opening up after a day or so of playing. I hope to get some recordings done soon.

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Martin, like everyone else, love the finish even without considering its origin.
I was surprised to read about the use of cedar for steel string neck shaft. I also have some old, very dry, q-sawn cedar but would not have considered using it in a neck. I would be interested to hear about its stability under full tension as it settles in.
thanks. Frank

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am

vandenboom wrote:I was surprised to read about the use of cedar for steel string neck shaft.
Hi Frank,

I have a guitar that I made 2 years ago with a cedar neck and it has been one of my most stable necks so far. I do usually use QLD Maple but the cedar is really nice and now that I have been given some recycled stock will probably use it on special builds. It is great to carve/shape and as long as it is quarter sawn, and tight grained is really stable. It is lighter than the QLD Maple and so you need to make sure the weight balance is right. I haven't used cedar on a dreadnought yet as I think the body would be a little heavy for it but my smaller body model is fine.

Thanks for the compliments by the way.

Martin

bdunne
Beefwood

Post by bdunne » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Just a quick response to Frank, my first build over 2 years ago was a 12 string with a QLD Cedar neck, and it has been rock solid.

Brian.
Brian