air filter to minimise dusts

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mavie
Beefwood

air filter to minimise dusts

Post by mavie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:25 pm

What air filter do you use to minimise dusts around?

demonx
Blackwood

Re: air filter to minimise dusts

Post by demonx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:46 pm

I have two of the large carbatec room air filters. Well worth the money. They pop up on eBay from time to time

I also try to use dust extractors as often as possible

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:55 pm

demonx wrote:I have two of the large carbatec room air filters. Well worth the money. They pop up on eBay from time to time

Is the dust extractor the same with air purifier?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:07 pm

What I've got are extractors and filters, I wouldn't call them purifiers.

A 2200cfm dust extractor

A 1600cfm dust extractor

Two of these Air filters (you can see the actual filters parts pulled out in this pic:

I find myself having to clean the filters in the "Room filter" often as they do collect a lot of dust. They're quite large, so if you only have a small workspace you'll only need one.

Here is a pic I snapped after carving a couple necks, you can see the blue filter is definitely removing a lot of dust from the air:

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 pm

That is really dirty! but does it have the same function as air purifier? How many days do you have to clean them?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:17 pm

mavie wrote:
demonx wrote:I have two of the large carbatec room air filters. Well worth the money. They pop up on eBay from time to time

Is the dust extractor the same with air purifier?
The room air filters demonx mentions are "air purifiers". They filter ambient air within a work area.

The first line of defence should be effective dust control connected directly to your machinery....the dust extractors mentioned by demonx.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:25 pm

From wiki:

"An air purifier is a device which removes contaminants from the air. These devices are commonly marketed as being beneficial to allergy sufferers and asthmatics, and at reducing or eliminating second-hand tobacco smoke. Commercial grade air purifiers are manufactured as either small stand-alone units or larger units that can be affixed to an air handler unit (AHU) or to an HVAC unit found in the medical, industrial, and commercial industries. Air purifiers may also be used in industry to remove impurities such as CO2 from air before processing. Pressure swing adsorbers or other adsorption techniques are typically used for this."
Martin

chappy
Sassafras

Post by chappy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Should the air filters be used in conjunction with a dust extraction system?

Alan

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:47 pm

I think you can upgrade the filters in my units to so e sort of carbon filter, I know carbatec sell done sort of upgrade. That would make it more if a purifier

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 pm

chappy wrote:Should the air filters be used in conjunction with a dust extraction system?

Alan
I'd say start with what you can afford, but in this case more is better. I still wear a dust mask as well as having these.

I have been using the small extractor for years and only added the gig extractor and air filters this year. No regrets

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:51 pm

mavie wrote:That is really dirty! but does it have the same function as air purifier? How many days do you have to clean them?
I clean weekly, sometime more than weekly, however I am working out there nearly every day

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:23 pm

kiwigeo wrote:From wiki:

"An air purifier is a device which removes contaminants from the air. These devices are commonly marketed as being beneficial to allergy sufferers and asthmatics, and at reducing or eliminating second-hand tobacco smoke. Commercial grade air purifiers are manufactured as either small stand-alone units or larger units that can be affixed to an air handler unit (AHU) or to an HVAC unit found in the medical, industrial, and commercial industries. Air purifiers may also be used in industry to remove impurities such as CO2 from air before processing. Pressure swing adsorbers or other adsorption techniques are typically used for this."
thanks for this info! Does air filter the same with air ioniser? i guess most air purifier have air ioniser thats why it is recommended for allergy sufferers..

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 am

Again from Wiki:

"Consumer Reports, a non-profit U.S.-based product-testing magazine, reported in October 2003 that air ionisers do not perform to high enough standards compared to conventional HEPA filters. The exception was a combination unit that used a fan to move air while ionizing it. In response to this report, The Sharper Image, a manufacturer of air ionisers (among other products), sued Consumer's Union (the publishers of Consumer Reports) for product defamation. Consumer Reports gave the Ionic Breeze and other popular units a "fail" because they have a low Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). CADR measures the amount of filtered air circulated during a short period of time, and was originally designed to rate media-based air cleaners. The Sharper Image claimed that this test was a poor way to rate the Ionic Breeze, since it does not take into account other features, such as 24-hour a day continuous cleaning, ease of maintenance, and silent operation. The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California subsequently struck down The Sharper Image's complaint and dismissed the case, reasoning that The Sharper Image had failed to demonstrate that it could prove any of the statements made by Consumer Reports were false. The Court's final ruling in May 2005 ordered The Sharper Image to pay US $525,000 for Consumer Union's legal expenses."

IMO your priority should be a decent dust extraction system (with high quality filters) at your machinery. Makes sense to get the dust at it's source rather than filtering/ionising the stuff after it has escaped into your workshop.
Martin

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm

I read that "ionizers enable your air purifier to work more efficiently, helping you breathe better, as long as your filters are changed as required, and the particles that have settled on surfaces in your home, are vacuumed or dusted frequently." ~ makes sense, filters need to be changed otherwise sir purifiers won't function well same as airconditioner.

DaveW
Blackwood

Post by DaveW » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 pm

I use Festool tools and vacuum ,a powered face mask and weather allowing router table ,bandsaw . table saw etc outside as they are all setup on wheels of some sort ,a hassle I know but with limited space what can one do .
I do find the Festool dust extraction system fantastic
Dave
The Older I Get The Better I was ?

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:04 pm

DaveW wrote: I do find the Festool dust extraction system fantastic
Dave
How about the energy consumption is it the same consumed with a regular air filter we use?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 pm

mavie wrote:
Dave
How about the energy consumption is it the same consumed with a regular air filter we use?
Difference in energy cost is probably alot less than cost of a lung transplant :mrgreen:
Martin

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Post by ckngumbo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 am

With the air purifiers . . . do you leave them on a timer after leaving the shed?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:08 am

The timer function is on the remote controls, not the units themselves.

I bought mine second hand and they didn't come with remotes.

I don't really think it necessary anyway. They do a pretty good job

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Post by ckngumbo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:05 am

Gotcha! Thank You

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:07 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
mavie wrote:
Dave
Difference in energy cost is probably alot less than cost of a lung transplant :mrgreen:
LOL :lol: probably!

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:11 pm

ckngumbo wrote:With the air purifiers . . . do you leave them on a timer after leaving the shed?
I always use the timer whenever i use air purifier