Plug Cutter Advice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Plug Cutter Advice

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm looking to cut a whole bunch of what are essentially 6,8, or 10 mm inlay dots out of left over veneers for a project I'm working on.

anyone have any luck with these:

http://www.carbatec.com.au/veritas-snug-plugs_c9020

I'm Not too worried about whether the "plugs" or dots have a slight taper I'm just after a clean, even cut

Cheers,

Stu

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Plug Cutter Advice

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 pm

I don't use anything other than that type. If you are cutting full depth plugs though, let the cutter cool down after each cut, I use a damp cloth to cool it.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:31 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:I don't use anything other than that type. If you are cutting full depth plugs though, let the cutter cool down after each cut, I use a damp cloth to cool it.

Jim
It get's hot in Darwin doesn't it!!
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:58 pm

Stu i've used em to cut a few different sorts of timber, think the last were Tassie Oak and they worked brilliantly but have never used them on veneers or thin stock. ( make note to self to try on some thin samples)

Steve.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks lads, I imagine it could work on veneers as long as they are clamped or hide glued properly to a surface that can be adequately clamped to the drill press table...I'll have to give it a go. Cheers Jim for the cooling tip!

Stu

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Just a tip on cutting plugs.

I use a USA based 'Snappy' brand tapered plug cutter. They probably supply lee valley also and make a pretty good product. The tip?....Have your drill press running flat out and don't muck about on the feed rate cause it will keep the cutter cooler and avoid any burn. To remove full length plugs place a screw driver down the side of the plug and push 'forward' and they will snap out clean as a whistle.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 pm

There really good cutters, but I wouldn't imagine they would be very good on a veneer, I could be wrong. We use them, when we get a violin or cello with a snapped neck and the customer wants a cheap repair.

We go through the fingerboard and then make an ebony plug to hide where we went through, the taper makes a nice tight fit
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:14 pm

simso wrote:There really good cutters, but I wouldn't imagine they would be very good on a veneer
Too right Steve, for veneers a 'well honed' wad punch should probably work out okay I reckon.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:31 am

Another point with the veneer is that the very leading tips cut slightly over sized and as you go deeper it reduced diameter, that is the taper so you will find that just cutting that thin veneer will give a over sized plug for the matching drill bit. Keeping the cutter cool keeps it sharper longer.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon May 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Sorry to Reopen an Old Thread but what would be the max thickness of veneer you could likely punch through with a wad punch? You would struggle getting through anything near 3mm I would imagine?

Stu