Tear out in a top, disaster or opportunity?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Tear out in a top, disaster or opportunity?

Post by Allen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:52 pm

This tenor has been giving me fits with little things that just are fighting me and testing my patience and skill, with this one the latest.

I had routed the binding ledges with no worries at all, with the only thing left being a small skim around the top and back for the rebate for the purfling strip when on the last few centimetres this happened.
Scallop trim to top_2014March07_001.jpg
So take a deep breath, walk away and boil the jug for a cup of tea.....still not to happy let me tell you. Come back for another look and scratch my head, get worked up some more and have to walk away again. Contemplate having to replace the top and not really wanting to go down that path. So then started thinking inlay. But what sort of inlay that doesn't look like it was put there to hide some stuff up, and what goes with my Art Deco styling?

Google searches brought up all sorts of designs, but all of them too complicated to seriously consider for inlay into Western Red Cedar, and then how was I to make it look like a design element that was planned from the start.

I ended up walking through my shed a few times, and then out of the corner of my eye I saw the other 4 instruments that I have hanging in the dry room waiting to be buffed out.....and the heel cap that I use with a bit of a pointed scallop. Which I ended up using a couple of years ago to cover up another stuff up with a router. And then it hit me...........

And this is what I ended up with. And pretty pleased with it too.
Attachments
Scallop trim to top_2014March09_004.jpg
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

colburge
Blackwood

Re: Tear out in a top, disaster or opportunity?

Post by colburge » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Allen wrote:This tenor has been giving me fits with little things that just are fighting me and testing my patience and skill, with this one the latest.

I had routed the binding ledges with no worries at all, with the only thing left being a small skim around the top and back for the rebate for the purfling strip when on the last few centimetres this happened.
So take a deep breath, walk away and boil the jug for a cup of tea.....still not to happy let me tell you. Come back for another look and scratch my head, get worked up some more and have to walk away again. Contemplate having to replace the top and not really wanting to go down that path. So then started thinking inlay. But what sort of inlay that doesn't look like it was put there to hide some stuff up, and what goes with my Art Deco styling?

Google searches brought up all sorts of designs, but all of them too complicated to seriously consider for inlay into Western Red Cedar, and then how was I to make it look like a design element that was planned from the start.

I ended up walking through my shed a few times, and then out of the corner of my eye I saw the other 4 instruments that I have hanging in the dry room waiting to be buffed out.....and the heel cap that I use with a bit of a pointed scallop. Which I ended up using a couple of years ago to cover up another stuff up with a router. And then it hit me...........

looks like a bum........a really nice bum

excellent fix

cheers

Col

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Nice save Allen.....only a master would think of your solution.

Not sure if you already do this but Ive started laying in a cut with my Schneider Gramil prior to my binding/purfling channel cuts and it seems to have reduced tear out and it also leaves a nice clean cut.
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:36 pm

HI Allen, yep been there done that and rectified it the same way, now I use the gramil process, after 30 odd years of getting through the job with out it.
Taff

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:56 pm

That inlay with purfling has ended up looking very nice Allen, and like Martin said the Schneider grammil is a pretty handy tool as well.

Steve

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Allen, if you had've stayed quiet about the disaster, you could've put a much higher price on it and called it the first in a series of design ukuleles to mark the Year of The Horse. :twisted:
Miguel

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Taffy Evans wrote:HI Allen, yep been there done that and rectified it the same way, now I use the gramil process, after 30 odd years of getting through the job with out it.
My Schnieder gramil was one of my first tool purchases many years ago but it s sat on my window sill for many years until I discovered what a great little tool it is.
Martin

wadkin
Wandoo

Post by wadkin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:53 am

being inventive is one of the things I like about guitar making, I always try an make a feature of mistakes.
I cut the purfling channels with a purfling cutter and scalpel, It doesn't take long to run it round the top. once marked out a scalpel will slice right through the top, I'v found even a sharp router bit will tear out on spruce.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:15 am

For those of you not familiar with a Schneider gramil:
BINDINGTOOLSSchneidergramilKnifeSPG500.jpg
BINDINGTOOLSSchneidergramilKnifeSPG500.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 11674 times
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:23 pm

And here's my circle/shape following 'Gramil' utilising parts from the the one shown above.
3-DSCF8194.JPG
3-DSCF8194.JPG (75.63 KiB) Viewed 11666 times
Taff

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Post by ckngumbo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:48 pm

colburge wrote:
Allen wrote:This tenor has been giving me fits with little things that just are fighting me and testing my patience and skill, with this one the latest.

looks like a bum........a really nice bum

excellent fix

cheers

Col
A bit cheeky and a brilliant save that looks part of the plan!
Nice work

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Looks good Allen. great save.