voltage converters 240/120

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

tippie53
Myrtle

voltage converters 240/120

Post by tippie53 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:05 pm

what do you people use to convert 240 to 120 Vac? Is there something available locally? I supply many jigs to your country and would like to know if you have something that can save shipping cost and have good reliability
thanks
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Re: voltage converters 240/120

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:43 am

There's a few outlets (Dick Smith electronics, Jaycar and the like) that sell step down transformers (http://search.dicksmith.co.nz/search#w=transformer) John, but as you can see, not sure they could power much more than a home appliance! items such as heating blankets would be pushing them I'd say.
Some of the "electrician" type members here may know where to source decent transformers with a decent current rating in OZ. R.S Components do site transformers that step down and would certainly have the higher current rating but you pay an arm and a left testicle for them!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:46 am

I bought a large stepdown transformer 5.2 amps but then ended up buying 230v blankets from LMI and have not used the transformer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:24 am

Stepdown transformers for blankets are a pain in the a*e....and also your arms. The unit Im using has a toridal transformer inside it that would make an execellent anchor for a medium sized container ship.
Martin

Joshua
Gidgee

Post by Joshua » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 am

kiwigeo wrote:stepdown transformers for blankets are a pain in the a*e....and also your arms. The unit Im using has a toridal transformer inside it that would make an execellent anchor for a medium sized container ship.
Yup, they're not light-weight!

John, I'm one of the Aussies who have purchased jigs from you. I bought a 34x6 heat blanket off you, and though you sent it packaged with some kind of small travel power converter, the type with small auto fuses, I knew before I ordered it that I'd need a proper stepdown transformer. Plugged in the little converter you sent just for a chuckle and timed it, about 2 seconds before there was a pop and the magic blue smoke arose :) :)

No hard feelings on my end of course, because I was fully expecting to supply my own stepdown. I've used many over the years, particularly in a previous life as a musician because I had a penchant for US amplifiers that were hard to find in 240v configuration.

As Nick noted above, the units from local electronics shops like Dick Smith and Jaycar probably won't cut it, mainly because they can't handle the amps required. I think Jaycar's most robust transformer can only handle 500w/4.2amps. Went to some specialty companies that build stepdowns for the music/film industry and was quoted over $400 for a unit that can handle the 8.5 amps current that some heat blankets draw.

One solution, if you want to get out of things cheaply, is an asian-manufactured stepdown from ebay. I got the following for $70:

Handles 2000w/10amps. Weighs a ton, and frequently doubles as a weight for holding rosettes down while glue dries. Not sure what the quality control on these is like overall but this particular unit has functioned reliably for the last couple of years.

That's the cheapest reliable solution I've found for running a US heat blanket. Of course, if I could have purchased a 240v heat blanket for a reasonable price, I would have just bought that. But from memory the cheapest 240v blanket I could find was close to twice the price of John's offering, so he got my business!

(Also, as this my first post I should probably introduce myself as well - Hi, I'm Josh, longtime lurker, first-time poster, living in Brisbane at the moment. I build steel-string guitars. Or at least I try to!)

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:43 am

I also bought my blanket and travel converter from John, i've been using them for about 3 years and they haven't missed a beat. Welcome to the forum Josh. Wayne

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:02 pm

I have a stepdown tranny that I bought from a mob at OZPLAZA online. It was very cheap. I had naively bought a low-cost dehumidifier on Amazon and didn't realise it was 110V.
Anyhoo....despite the craptastic price of both units they have been very good.
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:52 am

jeffhigh wrote:I bought a large stepdown transformer 5.2 amps but then ended up buying 230v blankets from LMI and have not used the transformer.
Do you use a timer or controller with that Jeff?
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:10 am

We've got one of these which Dave bought with him from the UK. We've got a few things that we use it for, one being a Festool sander that Lillian got me in the States for a fraction of what they are selling for here.

You can only use 110 volt tools on building sites in the UK.
Attachments
image_9625.jpg
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:04 pm

rocket wrote:
jeffhigh wrote:I bought a large stepdown transformer 5.2 amps but then ended up buying 230v blankets from LMI and have not used the transformer.
Do you use a timer or controller with that Jeff?
Rod.
I just use a dimmer switch of appropriate rating

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:25 pm

Get outa here!!! you clever bastard :cl :cl
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com