Reliable Hygrometer Calibration for the Luthier

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Re: Reliable Hygrometer Calibration for the Luthier

Post by Mike Thomas » Mon May 28, 2018 4:48 pm

I don't know whether the potassium carbonate I bought from BioMed Cafe is different from the stuff they are selling now, it was quite a few years back. I suspect that the difference between food grade and lab. grade is not likely to be sufficient to create significant errors for our purposes. Food grade is defined as not having contaminants that are dangerous to health, but may have food safe contaminants e.g. fillers. Potassium carbonate is a cheap product and unlikely to warrant the use of fillers. I was, and still am, happy that it gave an accurate result. Bob Connor also bought some from the same source, but I don't know what his experience was.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Luke72
Wandoo

Post by Luke72 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:46 pm

I wasn't able to find potassium carbonate on the biomed web site, only the BI-carbonate. I have seen carbonate on the electronic bay shop cheap enough....
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Potassium-C ... bHpHlBOM-g

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Wed May 30, 2018 6:22 am

A few years ago there were two threads on mimf about calibration. This is the second one started by, and illustrated by Mario Proulx http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 01&p=15571

It demonstrates a very simple dew point method to calculate the relative humidity. All you need is a container, water, ice and a good thermometer and a means to do the relevant calculation. A five minute job once you get yourself organized.