Frick what now???!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Frick what now???!!

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:52 pm

I fired up my Performax 16/32 drum sander today and the gear motor that drives the platten started making a hideous noise.....sounded like a Fiat Bambina an old flatmate if mine used to own.

The platten still moves despite the racket but I have a feeling eventually something is going to blow up.

Has anyone else had this issue? The motor and gearbox are a unit and rough price for a new one is about $US230.

Carbatec are the Jet agents now so hopefully they can get me a new motor without too much trouble.
Martin

chappy
Sassafras

Re: Frick what now???!!

Post by chappy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:01 am

If you pull off the front vertical plate under the speed control knob (the plate facing you) there is a drive coupling there that has 2 grub screws that attach the drive motor shaft and the belt drive together.

They may have come loose.

When I bought my 16-32 I couldn't get the belt tracking correct because when I tightened the tracking bolts the belt drive stopped so I took the belt unit back and they found the screws were loose from manufacture.

It could be that problem, but could be in the reduction drive.

Give Carbatec a call on their 1800 number, I found them pretty helpful over the phone.

Good luck with it.

Alan

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:13 am

I agree with above comment, carbatec might sell a lot of rubbish, but at least they are good at fixing it.

My carbatec drum sander has needed repair twice. After a phone call they get right on it, no argument. They do have return to base warranty, however at my request they allowed local repair as long as they provided the genuine replacement parts, so that is convenient.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:13 am

Its not the coupling. I pulled the motor and gear box off and the noise is definitely coming from the gear box when I power up the motor.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Having spent the best part of 2 hours extracting the motor I'm less than impressed with the design of this machine. Two of the allen bolts securing the motor and gearbox can not be accessed with an allen key....ended up having to use a pair of pliers to loosen the bolts.
Martin

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Without looking specifically at the unit, I learnt many years back that most motors and gearboxes for industrial machines are catalogue engineering. If you can find any sort of name on it, an engineering supply company somewhere in Oz probably has something identical on the shelf.
Pete

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks for the input chaps. Im at work now but when I get home Ill talk to Carbatec.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Today I got in contact with Carbatec and ordered a new gear motor for the sander....$340.

Not overly impressed with this drum sander....

I managed to get the gear box open and disengage the gears from the motor shaft. The noise still persists and its coming from the motor not the gearbox....possibly the motor bearing? Later on when Im in a better mood Im going to gut the bldi thing and see whats going on.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Booooooo. That's no good.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 06, 2014 1:22 pm

kiwigeo wrote:The noise still persists and its coming from the motor not the gearbox....possibly the motor bearing?
Strong possibility, bugger all inside an electric motor so most problems can be solved by throwing either new brushes or bearings at it. Might want to check the fit of the bearing in it's housing too, occasionally these Generic motors (i.e Chinese sourced) aren't machined the best and what should be a nice press fit turns out to be more of a cock in a sock affair that's been "cured" by the application of 'non standard' practices such as loctite or some form of packing. Can't imagine in an application such as a sander, they'd use unsealed bearings but then you never know! So it could be dry bearings.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Cracked open the gear box and found this.....I think this sh*t is supposed to lubricate the gears??? Either that or someone dropped their peanut butter sandwich in the gearbox.
IMG_0133.jpg
Martin

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Tue May 06, 2014 5:54 pm

My Carbatec 635mm twin drum sander's feed motor just died on the weekend -- haven't determined if it's the electronics or the motor yet, but good to know that a replacement gear motor on the smaller Performax is $340. I'm scared to ring Carbatec for prices now...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Richard wrote:My Carbatec 635mm twin drum sander's feed motor just died on the weekend -- haven't determined if it's the electronics or the motor yet, but good to know that a replacement gear motor on the smaller Performax is $340. I'm scared to ring Carbatec for prices now...
Good God it must be national feed motor failure week :?
Martin

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 am

Looks like the shit Ive been hacking out of my lungs...
make mine fifths........

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 12, 2014 11:17 am

I spent an hour trying to dismantle the gearbox from the motor yesterday to check the motor bearings but gave up.....looks like you need a gear puller to get the cog off the motor shaft before the gearbox will come off. Ive got better things to do with my time. :?
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 pm

sebastiaan56 wrote:Looks like the shit Ive been hacking out of my lungs...
Lung Butter :shock:

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 14, 2014 10:39 am

A call from Carbatec Brisbane. Someone at Carbatec has put a hold on the order even though I ordered and paid for the item last week. The spare parts guy has no idea why this was done. So another week to wait until I get the bldi part I need to get my drum sander back in operation.

I'm not impressed with the Performax sander....given the machine was brought brand new and hasn't had much use at all. In hindsight would have been better off going for a cheaper machine..reliability would have been the same as the Jet 16/32.
Martin

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Thankfully I got mine sorted quickly. The quote I got on the gear motor for the twin drum model was about $500, whereas the PC board was $76. I took a punt on it being the panel (the motor seemed ok with a multimeter) and headed out to Carbatec this afternoon to pick one up. It took about 5 minutes to change over and the table feed was back up and running.

Hope Carbatec get yours sorted quickly Martin. Nothing frustrates me more than being down a critical piece of machinery.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu May 15, 2014 11:07 pm

kiwigeo wrote:A call from Carbatec Brisbane. Someone at Carbatec has put a hold on the order even though I ordered and paid for the item last week. The spare parts guy has no idea why this was done.
Martin, the only reasonable explanation to this is that Carbatec reads the ANZLF and they thought they would wait until you'll have sorted it out by yourself and, instead of sending you one of the very scarce replacement parts they'd then offer you a job as a Performax repairman... :twisted:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 17, 2014 9:12 am

Ok a happy ending to the saga. Mark at Carbatec sent the motor via overnight courier so it arrived the day after I talked with him. The motor is on and the machine is back in operation. Im pretty happy with the service from Carbatec apart from the numpty in their accounts department who put the hold on the transaction.

Now what's going to blow up next??? :?
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat May 17, 2014 9:29 am

kiwigeo wrote:Now what's going to blow up next??? :?
Height adjustment? :shock:
At least you would know who could fix it!
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 17, 2014 12:05 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Now what's going to blow up next??? :?
Height adjustment? :shock:
At least you would know who could fix it!
Yes I'm aware of this design weakness in this machine.
Martin