Classical Guitar maker needing motivation

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

zendo
Myrtle

Classical Guitar maker needing motivation

Post by zendo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Hello,

I finished a classical guitar over a year ago and have a few on the go at various stages, but I am stuck. I think I need someone to shadow or share information with, preferable in real life, but not on the virtual net, although that is fine to some degree.

I have inquired about courses and that could be ok apart from the cost SO if anyone could help out with something like work experience, swapping labour for sharing, hands on help etc. I would really appreciate it. I would drive quite a distance (away from Brisbane) and if it is interstate consider a holiday in the area appropriate. If an interested person doesn't make classicals let me know what you make and it could suffice. I am 69, quite fit, alert and I have made two lutes and one guitar. I figure that, because I have other things to do, I will see m :D yself out as a luthier in 5 or 6 years. This being the case I want to make a few great (well very good anyway) guitars before I hang up the tools at 75 (all going well). Then I will paint and read from then on - all planned out - although it never happens the way it is planned.

Kiwigeo I would especially appreciate your comments.

For more information I will let you know when I have some concrete suggestions and a private address. Zendo and thank-you

Jeremy D
Admin

Re: Classical Guitar maker needing motivation

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Maybe buy Trevors books? I know they rocked my world.
Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Robert,

You've made two lutes.....after you've done that anything else is really a bit of an anti climax :D

If you were just around the corner I'd be happy to share some workshop time with you. Unfortunately we're on opposite sides of the country and at the moment a large part of my time is spent away working and Im currently in the process of a house rebuild.

My classical building experience is limited to 4 instruments built spanish method and the current build is a bolt on/bolt down instrument built following Trevor's books.

Jeremy's suggestion to grab Trevors books is a good one. I enjoyed building the first 4 classicals which are all based on a Hauser model but when you build a classical following Trevors method you start to push the envelope and things really start getting interesting....youre moving to maximising the control you have over the end sound of the instrument youre building.

Chers Martin
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Why not build something completely different? A change is as good as a holiday they say. Try something different and fun, like a cigarbox guitar, they are really simple to build but fun because there are no 'rules' per se, there isn't a standard way they have to be made or look even so you get a chance to let loose. You could try making a percussion instrument or even build a table or something. I don't like (infact I hate it!) building more than one of the same thing one after the other, I get bored really easy so find that doing something 'light' in between builds (I made Walnut candle holders a couple of christmas's ago) really 'freshens' up the old grey matter and helps me focus on the next guitar job.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Where did you find your boxes Nick? The eBay?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:41 pm

How about building one of these babies:
imagesCAU1PTO7.jpg
imagesCAU1PTO7.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 21514 times
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:48 pm

needsmorecowbel wrote:Where did you find your boxes Nick? The eBay?
Michelle at http://cigarboxdeals.com is pretty good to deal with and trys her best to get the best deal with the postage although she doesn't always have a large number in stock, if you want a particular box it's a matter of waiting until they become available. Other than that Stu, yeah I just go via EBay. The last couple I made required larger boxes and a seller on there had a good range of bigger boxes.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Cheers Nick I found a place in Melbourne that is happy to give them to me for $5 a large box. I'll post some pics when I go and pick some up tomorrow...

Stu

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:44 pm

needsmorecowbel wrote:Cheers Nick I found a place in Melbourne that is happy to give them to me for $5 a large box. I'll post some pics when I go and pick some up tomorrow...

Stu
$5 for a large box of cigars...thats a bargain!! :cl
cigar_two_women_smoking.jpg
cigar_two_women_smoking.jpg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 21443 times
Martin

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:18 pm

I could do a bulk buy. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up yet though. Will inspect them and post some pics tomorrow

Stu

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:08 pm

No luck these guys were not helpful. I found another contact will post on the weekend re: cigar boxes

Stu

dshaker
Myrtle

Post by dshaker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 am

When I have been moved to start a cigar box guitar, I go on down to the local cigar store and offer
them $3 or $5 a box. Is that not an option in Australia?

If, for some reason, cigar boxes are rare and unusual beasts in Australia, I can mail you folks some.
It would be a waste to spend a lot on transport, if there are cigar stores in Australia with boxes
available, but if not, well, there are plenty here and I know how to find the post office.
-Doug Shaker

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 am

Cigar boxes in Australia are plastered with disgusting stickers to tell us all that they will kill you. Not that anyone would pay attention to them.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:27 am

It's not that they are rare Doug, it's probably more that they are far more readily available in the states. For example in Melbourne there's only 1-2 businesses that have the go ahead from the manufacturer to open the boxes, remove the cigars and repackage them.

These Businesses then go on to sell the boxes for $5-$20.

It's probably almost cheaper to buy from the states. I got a quote for 10 boxes (7 bucks a box)- Shipping was $75-80. Works out about $15 bucks a box. That and as Allen said you avoid the caution stickers: diseased lung...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 am

Allen wrote:Cigar boxes in Australia are plastered with disgusting stickers to tell us all that they will kill you. Not that anyone would pay attention to them.
Death Metalers would love them :mrgreen:
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Why not make your own cigar box. I make my own box's. After a bit of time consuming [but interesting] R&D I came up with sizes and bracing patterns that give me a good sound and volume [for a box] also played with soundhole positions and sizes.
DSCF0152.JPG
DSCF0152.JPG (87.26 KiB) Viewed 21310 times
Taff

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:55 am

zendo wrote:
I have inquired about courses and that could be ok apart from the cost SO if anyone could help out with something like work experience, swapping labour for sharing, hands on help etc. I would really appreciate it. I would drive quite a distance (away from Brisbane) and if it is interstate consider a holiday in the area appropriate. If an interested person doesn't make classicals let me know what you make and it could suffice.
If you have no luck in your area you might try out Matthias Wandel's amazing new Skype for woodworkers. :D

Cheers
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 am

I find when motivation is required, I go and build a table or dresser or tv cabinet, something simple and big

Daughter currently needs a king bed base, so that will probably be by next weekend project.

This usually gets me back into the mindset.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:56 am

Taffy, they are excellent selection of cigar box units.

Now Im getting inspired again.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Fri May 02, 2014 12:30 pm

I found some cool cigar boxes the other day. Ended up getting two boxes that had 1/2 inch thick cedar walls: "Robusto" indeed. Trimmed the height of the box down to the height of the centre block that I'd glue in. Thing already weighs in at 1.1 kg. I'm thinking of testing out some floating pickups I have lying around so might use an arch top bridge/ les paul bridge and make some kind of weird tail piece. Box is about 300 mm long so can just do a strat scale just.
DSCF3521.JPG
DSCF3521.JPG (249.97 KiB) Viewed 21070 times
44.jpg
44.jpg (399 KiB) Viewed 21070 times
33.jpg
33.jpg (439.36 KiB) Viewed 21070 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (456.43 KiB) Viewed 21070 times

Nick Royle
Wandoo

Post by Nick Royle » Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 am

That cigar box is of a quality far beyond what I can find. My local tobacconist has had a few boxes for me. Only actually made one of them into a cigarbox guitar though. Would be far more inclined to build a really nice one if I had a box like that! Should be fun!

dshaker
Myrtle

Post by dshaker » Thu May 08, 2014 9:01 am

Well...

Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniv. Champagne ROBUSTO lacquered wood cigar box humidor

http://r.ebay.com/wbcVMY
-Doug Shaker

Nick Royle
Wandoo

Post by Nick Royle » Thu May 08, 2014 9:54 am

Nice, shame about the $36 delivery charge to the UK!
The top of the one needsmorecowbel posted is pretty cool. Would look sweet under a nice finish with the bridge, pickup and knobs.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu May 08, 2014 10:40 am

Sorry Nick that wasn't the actual top, I chucked a drop top on because I didn't want the whole thing to be cedar. It was a really small piece of black wood I was planning on using for a uke, but it wasn't 100% on the quarter so thought stuff it.

Stu

Nick Royle
Wandoo

Post by Nick Royle » Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

No worries! Just me showing my ignorance, I should have worked that out! Looks good though!