dying ebony fretboards

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

scuffle
Myrtle

dying ebony fretboards

Post by scuffle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi guys,
I have a gentleman that wants a jet black ebony fretboard on his guitar but as the black Gaboon ebony is nearly engangered and illegally logged I REFUSE to use it. Ive actually had people not with me because I told them I wont use the african ebony :P

So anyway...I have heard of people using black dye to get the ebony to the desired jet black appearence. Does this work on the Macassar ebony? and also does dying the wood have any effect on playability?
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

simso
Blackwood

Re: dying ebony fretboards

Post by simso » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Black leather dye works well
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

dshaker
Myrtle

Post by dshaker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:59 am

Yup, leather dye will work fine. Stew-Mac sells Fiebing's black leather dye as their fingerboard stain. And, yes, I don't want to use real African ebony, either. Its ecological status is too fragile and, in addition, it expands and contracts too much to really be a good fingerboard for guitars. I am using figured walnut for my guitar fingerboards.
-Doug Shaker

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:21 am

Maybe Kim and some others that have explored Australian timbers for fingerboards (or maybe the Spittle-man himself) and can tell you which local, non-endangered - or even threatened - wood, will make good fingerboards (Gidgee, etc), and then which ones of those will accept a stain.

Macassar Ebony: "This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices, but is on the IUCN Red List. It is listed as vulnerable due to a population reduction of over 20% in the past three generations, caused by a decline in its natural range, and exploitation."

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 am

its all good now. I talked him into a wenge fretboard :) I wasnt very keen on dying the timber. I feel like it would change something other than looks...

thanks for all the help guys!
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:07 am

I just wouldn't dye the ebony full stop. As you've done, find a board they do like, don't take a near extinct timber like Macassar and ruin it.

I had a customer last year wanting me to build a guitar for them out of some old growth stuff I have hidden away. I agreed, we laid down the specs etc and then he decided he wanted me to paint it black. I turned down the build. I told him I'm not wasting this timber on a painted guitar, it was clear coat or choose something else.

I kept the customer, he got his colored guitar, although it's not black, its a distressed finish and made from all African Mahogany. He's happy, I didn't sacrifice the old growth timber for the sake of a sale.

Point of the story, don't waste good timber just to keep a customer.

This is what he got - imagine doing this to old growth timber.... no way.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:17 am

+1 Most of the ebony I use on my classicals has some grain in it as it doesnt detract from the look of the wood. Personal taste of course and if the customer is dead set on no figure in the ebony then whack the dye on.
Martin

Gsanbrook
Wandoo

Post by Gsanbrook » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:45 pm

I have used the Fiebings dye, but did not care for the hue it left. I did not look natural to me. Like a freshly shined pair of black shoes. But this is just MO. I have come to like the look of African ebony just wiped real well with mineral oil.

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:26 pm

yes i wasnt to fond of dying a timber to be a different colour. Im glad he went for a wenge fretboard instead.

I must say I dont really understand the obsession with the jet black ebony. I find it boring to be honest :/
I love timber with colour and streaks and character.
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:41 pm

I understand that a highly respected American violin maker and restorer uses Clairol black hair dye to add darkness to streaky ebony. It is more translucent than leather dye, allowing some hint of the underlying variation in colour to show. A search on the Maestronet Pegbox forum is likely to turn up some useful information.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 pm

I saw a report somewhere last year about Bob Taylor buying a Cameroon ebony mill with the intention of using and promoting/supplying all the usable ebony harvested regardless of the colour.
Ken

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes Ken, I remember. IMO it is worth seeing and hearing it again:

youtu.be/
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46 pm

thats mainly what turned me off ebony. I couldnt believe the amount that was getting wasted. Literally rotting on the ground :shock: :shock: :shock:
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 am

Just watched the Taylor video. For anyone that didn't already know, it should bring things into perspective.

I've been using the Cameroon ebony for years. That is what is pictured on red the guitar I posted earlier. Sure the stuff is "colored", but after you wax it like I do, or just oil it like some others do, it looks mostly black anyway.

One other thing I've observed over the last couple years is the Cameroon ebony is being milled shorter and thinner than board blanks traditionally are, leaving less wastage and maximising the amount they get out of the logs