Mandocello plan/advice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Pappy Green
Beefwood

Mandocello plan/advice

Post by Pappy Green » Tue May 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi,

I am planning to build a mandocello based on a standard size classical body shape with a scale length of around 25inch. I am unsure which bracing pattern to use that would serve me best in such a low register and I am unabe to find a plan anywhere. I have built an octave mandolin in an O size guitar body and used the X/lattice bracing pattern as recomended by Grahmam MacDonald for bouzouki. It worked a treat (thanks Graham).
Mandocello string gauge is 0.070, 0.046, 0.032, 0.020 (from e-Mando)

Should I use the X/lattice or regular guitar style bracing?
Will the body and scale length be adequate for such a low register?
Any other advice would be welcome (including the location of a plan if anyone knows of one).

much obliged

Brett

Kev3
Blackwood

Re: Mandocello plan/advice

Post by Kev3 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi Brett
No nothing about these myself - but you got me interested enough to have a look around. You're right, not much in the way of actual plans. Most talk is around A and F style instruments. This guy gives some overall dimensions in a table for the whole family:
http://smart-instruments.com/amluth95.html

And discussions here suggest a 25" scale may be a bit short for clear notes on the heavy guaged C string:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showt ... asurements

Hope you have more luck - love to see it and hear it when it's done :D

Cheers
Kevin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Nigel Forster makes some guitar bouzoukis, 8 strings, with X-bracing and similar scale length to what you are considering. I imagine that many of the design principles would be applicable to a mandocello? Check out his website, or you could PM him for a bit more of a lowdown on his approach.

KLW
Kauri

Post by KLW » Wed May 28, 2014 4:12 am

I've mad a mandocello based on a Gibson LO body shape but with fan frets to solve the C string issues and 14 frets to the body..

I used a x brace pattern modified to fit the fanned frets and get bridge angle.. turned out quite good IMHO..

Some pics attached best I have of the bracing.. Scale was 24.75 treble and 26.25 bass with the 6th fret parallel..
P1010147 (Small).JPG
P1010147 (Small).JPG (89.96 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
P1010141 (Small).JPG
P1010141 (Small).JPG (77.78 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
P1010549 (Small).JPG
Attachments
P1010548 (Small).JPG
KLW Strings Luthier Blog...
http://klwstrings.blogspot.ca/

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 am

It is not uncommon for guitars to be converted to Mandocellos by drilling a couple of extra tuner holes and replacing the saddle and nut. There are a few on the Mandolin Cafe along with some people who do it regularly. If you go with a archtop type tailpiece it gets even easier. Graham MacDonald will have some know how in the details of all of this.
make mine fifths........

Pappy Green
Beefwood

Post by Pappy Green » Sat May 31, 2014 6:29 pm

I am much obliged for the advice. I think I will go with standard guitar style bracing.

Kerry how does the small body handle the low C?