Binding glue

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Pat.Hawkins
Myrtle

Binding glue

Post by Pat.Hawkins » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi Folks,
Just glued the soundboard down on my first build - how exciting it all is!!!!!!

Just looking ahead - I have some binding that I bought, they're plastic I believe - but I like the creamy colour.

Will Titebond hold them in place?
Or do I need something like CA glue?

Cheers

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Binding glue

Post by 56nortondomy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi Pat, i think you need to use some type of plastic glue like weldon, i'm sure some of the guys who have used these bindings will give you a heads up.
Wayne

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250901149120 ... 158wt_1191

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Don't know where you are Pat, and I hope you have more choice than me. Stewart MacDonald suggest Weld-On 16 which I did use before with good results. However the only place I can find it now in Perth (Mulford Plastics) want a minimum order of about $80 so I tried a few other things and I now use Pacific Balsa C23 which has worked just as well as the Weld-On. Made here in Australia too. I got mine from Stanbridge's (model supplies) in Perth.
Ken

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:43 am

I've used Tarzan's Grip when I used plastic. No dramas so far. Someone on here recommended that to me......
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:23 pm

I dont like the blue weld on 16, have had a few failures over the years with it, and when its not your guitar but a customers any failure is unacceptable.

I use the green tube stuff, cant remember the name of the top of my head, but Ill have a look when I go to work tommorrow
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:25 pm

simso wrote:I dont like the blue weld on 16, have had a few failures over the years with it, and when its not your guitar but a customers any failure is unacceptable.

I use the green tube stuff, cant remember the name of the top of my head, but Ill have a look when I go to work tommorrow
Hmm that's interesting Steve,, although i haven't bought any Weldon 16 for quite a while and it might have changed in the past few years, the stuff i was using is clear, very good though, next time i'm using plastic binding though i'll ask about this green stuff you mention.
Cheers,,
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:44 am

rocket wrote:Hmm that's interesting Steve,, although i haven't bought any Weldon 16 for quite a while and it might have changed in the past few years, the stuff i was using is clear, very good though, next time i'm using plastic binding though i'll ask about this green stuff you mention.
Cheers,,
Rod.
I think Steve is referring to the colour of the tube Rod? :wink:
I wasn't aware that Weldon came in different colours until this post :oops: , interestingly it would seem that the Blue is made by SciGrip (but still has the Weldon name on the label) whereas the red is made by IPS corporation and is the one recommended by many loofiers.
I've always used the Red tubed Weldon 16 (again, like Crafty, I source it from Mulford Plastics here in NZ but where I work has a trade account with them so fortunately minimum purchases aren't an issue) with great success. I wouldn't recommend CA, there are some plastics this stuff doesn't like to glue to and there's nothing worse than spending ages putting your binding on only to have it peel off again!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 am

I use Weld-on (red tube) that I buy from a local plastics supplier