Binding cutter moved

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

soulman
Blackwood

Binding cutter moved

Post by soulman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Had everything set, was watching base of trimmer to be sitting flat on top. didn't expect cutter to work down. :oops: :oops: :cry:
Still enough side material glued to kerfed lining. Going to have to get the creative juices flowing to fix this one. Maybe some fancy binding. Any ideas.
Attachments
IMG_1455.JPG

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Binding cutter moved

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Spectacular! :shock:
Lately, binding channel routing mistakes seem to be en vogue. :?

The first idea that comes to my mind for converting the mistake into a feature is the rosette design Allen is using now on his ukuleles. This would not only allow to integrate the step from the wide part to the normal width (actually height) of the channel, but also would break up the otherwise bold binding section in the upper bout into several strips and thin lines.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:46 am

Frick!! :shock:
Martin

Joel Barbeau
Gidgee

Post by Joel Barbeau » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:53 am

You're lucky the cutter didn't completely fall off, you could have really hurt yourself there :!: If you have offcut material from those sides (what wood is that, by the way?) you could bend a piece of it to the shape of the upper bout, clean up the 'step' where the slip-up happened and glue it on there.

I would suggest a scarf joint where that extra binding will join the rest of the side. leaving it a bit proud of the original binding cavitiy.
Then re-do the binding cut, making sure the cutter is not going anywhere.

Fixing it this way, you won't have to make any change in the original design, and if it's well done it should not be visible to those that don't know about the fix.

Hope I'm being clear and that this helps!
As a teacher once told me : 'If it's wood, you can fix it.'

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Not sure of the cutter was loose or it was a case of the depth stop being loose.

On the Makita trimmers the depth of cut is locked with a lever that clamps the lower base to the trimmer body...Ive had the locknut on the lever work loose a couple of times on two different machines. It's and arrangement I dont like and IMO not as secure as a proper depth stop as on a router.
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:21 pm

Wow that came down a long way, really got to make the collet tight on the bit.

That being said there are collets and then there are collets,

I would personally, even the rote out, then run a decorative wood binding followed by a plastic binding or whatever you were going to do before hand, bit like a purfling setup.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:47 pm

That must have been a nasty moment!
I had a more minor version of this same mistake happen once, due to the bit working loose in the collet. I did what Joel is suggesting and grafted in a piece of off cut from the sides. If you try this just make sure that you get it around the same way as the side, not mirror imaged or book matched because then any runout in the grain might make it lighter or darker than the adjacent wood (like you see in some book matched tops or backs sometimes). In my one it is in the same place as yours on the upper bout, which is a hIghly visible spot to the player. My repair is noticeable to me because I know about it, but no other player of that guitar has ever picked it as a defect.
I bet you will check the router/trimmer twice every time from now on.

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Unfortunately I've had to deal with one of these too. I repaired as Joel describes above, A little care and careful picking of the wood it'll come out flawless.
Good luck with that.

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Timber is Qld Maple.
This was borrowed gear. As a fitter and turner I have had plenty of experience with collets. on closer inspection I noticed vice jaw marks on shaft which may have been why it came loose at the tension I thought was tight enough. So now I have tightened it extra tight. No problems with the rest of the binding channel.
Will need to go through stash and see what I can find.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:34 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Fark That's why my Sphincter still clenches every time I go near a guitar with a router.

My condolences.
Paul .

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:25 pm

OK now you have a design enhancement opportunity.
What I did to hide one of these , was A take the trim router and used it for target practice and got a good one. In your case I don't know what you had. I used a Harbor Freight ( cheap chinese junk) I now use the ridgid line.

B
recut to the depth of the boo boo but not as deep . then I used some figured sycamore and pearl , ebony and bloodwood. I wish I had kept that guitar but I didn't.

Looked nice when it was done so you can save the guitar , and if you learned from this you will be ok. Be sure you only make the new cut about .030 deep
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:18 pm

ozwood wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Fark That's why my Sphincter still clenches every time I go near a guitar with a router.

My condolences.
Thanks Paul. Yes it was one of those moments.
tippie53 wrote:OK now you have a design enhancement opportunity.
What I did to hide one of these , was A take the trim router and used it for target practice and got a good one. In your case I don't know what you had. I used a Harbor Freight ( cheap chinese junk) I now use the ridgid line.

B
recut to the depth of the boo boo but not as deep . then I used some figured sycamore and pearl , ebony and bloodwood. I wish I had kept that guitar but I didn't.

Looked nice when it was done so you can save the guitar , and if you learned from this you will be ok. Be sure you only make the new cut about .030 deep
Thanks Tippie.
You are right there. Good chance for a fix up without making look like a screwup.
I have found a wide strip of figured Blackwood. Found some perfling strip. I have now cut the other side to match. will post photo once sanded up.

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:59 pm

This is my fix up.
Attachments
IMG_1467.JPG
Here is the end graph
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1474.JPG

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Nice!

Good, clean save there

Stu

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Well done! :cl
Now it looks a bit like a racing car. :)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Thinking outside the square Soulman....

To be honest when I first looked at the pic I didn't like it but after another few looks I find myself struggling to find a reason not to like it.. 8)
Martin