I am going to have a second go.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

EricDownunder
Blackwood

I am going to have a second go.

Post by EricDownunder » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:26 pm

I am going to build a second guitar, acoustic bass 34 inch 4 string fretless, I have some nice old cedar not a clue where its from for the top close grain and has a real nice bass sound when tapped, the back and sides I have rimy, mahogany, australian cedar, ng rosewood and tasty blackwood, any suggestions what would give me the best bass results, most acoustic basses I have seen all sound a bit bright,
I am thinking australian red cedar back and sides rosewood fingerboard ? cedar top ( its very dark brown/grey in colour) neck in old maple, australian red cedar 5pce with two truss rods and 2 carbon fibre braces, also some pretty stuff, spruce bracing for the back and a combination of spruce and cedar bracing for the top some with carbon fibre strands ( which I still have to source) K&K pickups and preamp so it could be used a bit more, any comments I would greatly appreciate it.
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

Clancy
Blackwood

Re: I am going to have a second go.

Post by Clancy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:35 am

Sounds identical to the build I'm just about to start.
I'm using blackwood (cause that's what the client wants) with recycled WRC top.
Would be good to compare notes as we go along.

Are you looking at the onboard K&K preamp, cause I need to confirm with them about it's wiring and setup when used with the '2 head' Pure Bass pickup.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:00 am

EricDownunder wrote:I am going to build a second guitar, acoustic bass 34 inch 4 string fretless, I have some nice old cedar not a clue where its from for the top close grain and has a real nice bass sound when tapped, the back and sides I have rimy, mahogany, australian cedar, ng rosewood and tasty blackwood, any suggestions what would give me the best bass results, most acoustic basses I have seen all sound a bit bright,
I am thinking australian red cedar back and sides rosewood fingerboard ? cedar top ( its very dark brown/grey in colour) neck in old maple, australian red cedar 5pce with two truss rods and 2 carbon fibre braces, also some pretty stuff, spruce bracing for the back and a combination of spruce and cedar bracing for the top some with carbon fibre strands ( which I still have to source) K&K pickups and preamp so it could be used a bit more, any comments I would greatly appreciate it.
Having built an acoustic bass neck in Qld maple, it worked but was a bit flexy, I would probably use a stiffer timber next time, and I would certainly not laminate in red cedar.
No need for 2 truss rods.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:27 am

Keep in mind that the tension on a set of bass strings is about the same as an average set of acoustic guitar strings, around 80kg. I think it can be too easy to over-brace an acoustic bass. You are not going to get much of the 40hz fundamental out of a body you can play hanging from a strap, but if the higher harmonics are there the brain thinks the fundamental is stronger than it is. There was an article in a fairly recent American Lutherie that I did on three basses made in 1988 which some measurements of resonances and stuff which much be useful. I am not sure if I can attach a pdf to the post, but email if you would like a copy of the article. I would think a Q Maple neck would be fine with perhaps a couple of 12x3mm CF bars, one either side of the truss rod.

cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:37 pm

I do have a plan that was given to me and it shows the 2 truss rods and 2 9x3 carbon fibre bars I figured it was a bit of overkill. My idea of the laminated neck is mostly cosmetic. I don't like the tassie blackwood along side of the cedar it seems to clash, I might try to put up some pics tomorrow after my camera has an bit of electric shock treatment.

I was tossing between the KK on board pre-amp or the belt clip pre-amp, there is pro's and con's for both
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 am

Cedar is not a stiff wood, I have used it in a classical neck and it is fine but for a long slender bass neck with more string tension, I would not.

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:01 pm

From what I have read (haven't used it) New Guinea Rosewood (Pterocarpus indicus) should be OK for the neck. Its stable, easy to work, and doesn't creep under load.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=new+ ... h&sa=X&ei=

It also looks a bit similar in appearance to Red Cedar.
Cheers

Matt

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Well this is what I am considering, please tell me if it won't work.
? cedar top
Rimu back & sides
snakewood fingerboard
Rosewood neck

I did consider silky oak for the neck as i have a nicely figured piece about 70mmx70mm, would that be possible?
Attachments
DSCN0349.JPG
DSCN0349.JPG (126.93 KiB) Viewed 14604 times
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Is that NG snakewood or South American?
The NG I have does not seem hard enough to cope with string wear on a fretless

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 am

I bought it at the Sydney woodworkers show a couple of weeks ago and I would say it's NG snakewood.
If you think it's to soft I have some macassar ebony that might be long enough, I also have some tight grained rosewood and some ebony from where I don't know I have had it for quite a while it has a tighter grain than the macassar. I thought a softer fingerboard would give me more mellow tone.
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 am

That's where I got my snakewood too. Mal Ward said it was NG.
A softer fretboard will wear badly rather than mellowing the tone.
Macassar would be good.

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 am

Hey Eric, Pete from jazzclub here. Fingerboard = Jarrah. Hard, stable, easy to find and beautiful.

Pete

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:08 am

Hey Pete, it's good to here from you. I do have some Jarrah laying around I will give that some thought as I do like Jarrah, I have no intention of a fan fretted bass like the one you built. Building guitars and dropping in on the jazz jam session is a great stress release for both Rhonda & I, the talent we see there from the highly experienced such as Tony & Rick etc to those continually expanding their knowledge such as yourself and Dave now adding vocal to his ever expanding list, I wonder when he is going to try a wind instrument. Wednesday was a disappointment no one showed up, we blame the state of origin It's a shame support for live music seems to be fading but Rhonda and I will be there regardless.
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith