Just bought this book

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Just bought this book

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:13 am

Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Just bought this book

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:44 am

Nice. Looking forward to your online lectures of this book. :dri
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Is it any good Martin?

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Kamusur wrote:Is it any good Martin?

Steve
Book hasn't arrived yet. Springer only print the books on demand so will be a few weeks away. Busy at work right now so wont get to read the book for a while. I'm sure that no matter how good this new book is it won't quite match.....THE books.
Martin

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:21 pm

I found a pdf version of the book somewhere on the Interweb a couple of years ago. From memory it is a good descriptive overview of the technologies employed in guitar making and has good photos but is not intended as a "how to" guide.
Miguel

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:26 pm

Speaking of The Books Martin, which i do not own, how often is it that any author avails themselves of open and repeated answering of questions and not just to those contained in the books? We are pretty lucky i reckon.

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:50 pm

lauburu wrote:I found a pdf version of the book somewhere on the Interweb a couple of years ago. From memory it is a good descriptive overview of the technologies employed in guitar making and has good photos but is not intended as a "how to" guide.
Miguel
Thanks Miguel
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:25 am

I bought this book some time ago (it may have been published a bit earlier in the UK...) but I have to say I found it such hard going I put it on the shelf.

Your post made me dig it out and have a more serious go at it. It does have some good stuff in it.
My perception though is that it is aimed at the university student rather than the guitar builder, or indeed the man in the street. The style is very dry and almost seems to be trying to make the subject academically respectable.

Having said all that if someone has not met these concepts before it does have good scientific/engineering discussions of the basic physics of guitar sound production, plus some descriptive work on construction as used by manufacturers.

It is also great that someone else is tackling the design of the guitar in a scientific way. Richard French's work is a useful independent check on other peoples approach to the subject. And in my admittedly limited go at the book I see little disagreement with other sources.

Dave
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:56 pm

Dave M wrote:
My perception though is that it is aimed at the university student rather than the guitar builder
I've been to university....but I studied Geology :(

One use I've found for THE books is getting rid of unwelcome guests from my house. When I pull out Book 1 and suggest to my guests that we talk about Four DOF models my guests suddenly announce that it's time they left :mrgreen:
Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:26 am

I have been reading the Technology of the Guitar and all and all find it packed with useful information. This book covers a lot of diverse topics (mostly guitar related) so it is a bit hit or miss to the depth of information and fairly shallow at the practical use of much of the theory listed at least relative to the Contemporary Acoustic Guitar Design and Build {The Book.)

As an example both books have a bracing section on area moments of inertia, brace stiffness and cross-sectional area. The Technology of the guitar emphasizes the point that for a given mass a rectangle brace is the stiffest: "Even more useful for guitar makers than area moment of inertia is section modulus, s. The section modulus is simply area moment of inertia divided by the cross-sectional area. Assuming the material doesn’t change, the section modulus is stiffness per unit weight. Based on section modulus, the rectangle is the stiffest shape per unit weight."

The Book goes a step farther with the same information pointing out the value of the larger base "less print through", thus a consideration using more of the practical considerations of brace designs shows that "in practical terms, the most efficient cross sectional shape is the tall triangle" If I had only read the Technology of the Guitar I may have thought that a rectangular cross section was no brainier ( I am sure many would argue this point as well). The Book provides additional practical considerations when making a design choice.

All and all I am happy I purchased the The Technology of the Guitar. It reinforces and a lot of what I have already read elsewhere and I had very little knowledge about electric guitars and liked the level of information this book provided.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:37 am

Thanks for the review John.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Quoting French:
johnparchem wrote:"Based on section modulus, the rectangle is the stiffest shape per unit weight."
Not entirely true, unless this statement had further qualification. It's dependent on aspect ratio, too.

Check out Fig. 4.4-21 in CAGDB. (AKA "The Book").

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:Quoting French:
johnparchem wrote:"Based on section modulus, the rectangle is the stiffest shape per unit weight."
Not entirely true, unless this statement had further qualification. It's dependent on aspect ratio, too.

CAGDB....Trevor I thought that you were talking about your new banjo tuning! :shock: :lol:
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Jorge Bertholdo
Wandoo

Post by Jorge Bertholdo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:23 am

Looks like a great book.
For people that is interested, take a look around where it is available. I just order from Amazon (UK) for £40 (used, hardcover)
Guitar, Lut and Violin maker

http://www.jorgebertholdo.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 am

woodrat wrote:
Trevor Gore wrote:Quoting French:

CAGDB....Trevor I thought that you were talking about your new banjo tuning! :shock: :lol:
I thought exactly the same thing John! But fortunately Trevor qualified his statement :wink: Goes to illustrate the importance of qualifying things :D .
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.