New Luthier Tips du Jour Video - Shellac & sawdust pore fill

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New Luthier Tips du Jour Video - Shellac & sawdust pore fill

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:39 am

Good Monday morning everyone.
Here is the latest Luthier Tips du Jour video - The topic is using shellac and sawdust as a pore fill
This video as well as all my other videos are available via my website, http://www.obrienguitars.com/videos , LMI's website or on youtube.
Enjoy!

youtu.be/
www.obrienguitars.com

Beau Hannam Guitars
Wandoo

Re: New Luthier Tips du Jour Video - Shellac & sawdust pore

Post by Beau Hannam Guitars » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 am

Great video Robbie- ive been using this method as im trying to get away from the CA glue pore fill and im sick of burning my eye balls...
Beau Hannam
Beau Hannam Guitars
Grand Junction, Colorado
www.BeauHannamGuitars.com

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:08 am

I just tried this method on 2 Baritone ukes and I'm pleased with the results. It is a bit of work (lots of elbow grease) but I pore filled both instruments and got the first couple of coats of lacquer on in one day. Just not even remotely possible when using epoxy for the pore fill.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:49 am

Allen wrote:I just tried this method on 2 Baritone ukes and I'm pleased with the results. It is a bit of work (lots of elbow grease) but I pore filled both instruments and got the first couple of coats of lacquer on in one day. Just not even remotely possible when using epoxy for the pore fill.
Hi Allen,

Just wondering what you think of the look compared to an epoxy fill?
Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:56 am

I'd say it's fairly comparable on the Blackwood. It doesn't darken the mahogany instantly like epoxy does, though it will age to a deep brick red with time.

I also used it on the soundboards. One in Western Red Cedar and the other on Huon Pine. Mostly to fill any little voids around the rosette and bindings. But also it really helped to firm up and flatten the Western Red. The first coats of lacquer just flowed out and laid down smooth and flat, whereas it would normally soak right in, swell up the grain and look a bit fuzzy.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks Allen I am definitely going to give this a try myself. Seems like it would be particularly good on guitar necks under an oil finish. Really like the idea of pore filling and spraying the same day.
Jeremy D

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Would anyone care to speculate how this pore filling method might work with East Indian Rosewood. My concern is that the shellac might pull the colour out of the rosewood and stain the maple binding (and top if I am not careful). I guess I could sand any staining off the maple binding after the pore filling is done.
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Woodsy23 wrote:Would anyone care to speculate how this pore filling method might work with East Indian Rosewood. My concern is that the shellac might pull the colour out of the rosewood and stain the maple binding (and top if I am not careful). I guess I could sand any staining off the maple binding after the pore filling is done.
Ive used sawdust and shellac and egg white and sawdust pore filing on IRW without any issues. Seal the bindings by wiping on 1 to 1.5lb cut shellac with a a small square of cloth prior to doing the pore fill job.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

I have Rosewood bindings on the two Baritones I'm building. It did pull a bit of color out and spread to the maple in the purflings, but it sanded right off with the P400 grit I was using to level out the pore filling. Just a tickle really. After a couple of sessions, there wasn't any more color leaching out.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:33 pm

I tried this method of pore filling for the first time last night on my second acoustic guitar - EIR back and sides & Mahogany neck.

It worked very well for the neck as I copied everything Robbie did in his video. However, I found a way to stuff things up a little doing the back and sides. I used Ubeaut dewaxed shellac but I was not sure what ratio to mix it with metho to achieve the 1 pound cut that Robbie recommended. I have used it before as a sealer at 1:5 so I tried 1:3 on the neck thinking that, if too thin, the sawdust might wash out of the pores. That worked well. I applied three "coats" to the neck.

I then foolishly increased the concentration for the back and sides. It was OK when first applied but soon became gummy. I remember Robbie saying don't let it get too gummy (the technical term). The pores were filled OK but it required a lot of sanding to remove the residue on the surface. During sanding, the sandpaper (3M Freecut) clogged a bit and created a few "corns" (is that the correct term), presumably because I did not give it time to dry properly. Of course, creating corns meant deeper scratches, even though I tried to clean the sandpaper regularly. Deeper scratches meant more sanding. I did try to remove some of the build up by wiping with thinned shellac rather than sanding but was worried that the shellac would pull the sawdust out of the pores. It did work however and reduced the amount of sanding I needed to do. In the end I sanded back to bare wood all over the back.

After finishing the sanding, the pores seemed to be well filled so it worked in the end.

The lesson I learned - don't let it get gummy.
Richard