Quiet in here

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Quiet in here

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Quiet in here? Everyone's obviously busy building.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Quiet in here

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri May 01, 2015 4:18 pm

If something doesn't happen soon i'll have to start talking to my wife :lol:
Wayne

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Fri May 01, 2015 4:32 pm

We need a good Jo-bob Kidding, A Michael Thames or some other objectionable troll.

Although unpleasant, I enjoy watching Martin and Kim toy with them like a cat with a mouse, knowing full well they are going to get the big clown mushroom cloud as soon as they are bored with it all.

I think we will have a contender soon , but it's more of a slow warm up....... now back to building my Smallman styled , balsa and carbon, lattice brace mega thinned ( 0.7 mm ) cedar carbon topped classical.

One that's done I'll do a Simon M Radial braced top :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Paul .

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Fri May 01, 2015 4:37 pm

Shit stirrer :!: :!:
Bruce Mc.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri May 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Been busy installing dust extraction and a new spec'd out Felder 700S panel saw into the Cairns Woodworkers Guild for the last week. Plus new wood racks, paint, moving machinery around....heaps of work anyway. Had to get back into my own shed to have a break from all that hard lifting.

BTW, if you have a lazy $12K that's one hell of a nice saw.

For the next little bit I'm back in the shed now finishing up a couple of Baritones, and starting on 2 more concerts and 2 more tenors. 4 more commissions being finalised plus 2 uke building classes to do in the next 5 months.
Back Reinforcement Strip.jpg
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Fri May 01, 2015 5:19 pm

I lurk on this forum for the purpose of learning about loofering but in light of recent inactivity, I might have to join a ceramics forum and learn about porcelain! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCU4Pk7pTs
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri May 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Got a problem with a Baggs Lyric I'm installing in an arched top, bench tested and can't get a sound out of the bldy thing, can't believe I'm the guy that got the shitty one :twisted:
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri May 01, 2015 6:16 pm

rocket wrote:Got a problem with a Baggs Lyric I'm installing in an arched top, bench tested and can't get a sound out of the bldy thing, can't believe I'm the guy that got the shitty one :twisted: <BR abp="725">Rod.
Bummer Rod.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 01, 2015 7:19 pm

rocket wrote:Got a problem with a Baggs Lyric I'm installing in an arched top, bench tested and can't get a sound out of the bldy thing, can't believe I'm the guy that got the shitty one :twisted:
Rod.
Hit it with an 18lb hammer....if that doesn't make it talk then nothing will :mrgreen:
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri May 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Plenty happening here only problem is these have been on the bench for three years. Unfortunately every time I get a spurt on my health gets in the road. I keep saying to myself don't rush it, they will wait for you.
Here are some pics :)
Cheers
Al
Attachments
IMG_1991.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_2039.JPG
IMG_2040.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG
al3 (2).JPG
al3 (3).JPG
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Alan..you're a guitar making machine. Youre banned!!! :)
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat May 02, 2015 8:34 am

I've just been stunned into silence about this one piece bracing. Seems to go against the grain!

Makes me wonder if Cole Clarke will do a spin on this next, I can see the sense for mass production to drop a one piece brace on and glue up in one hit, not quite sure how it would effect the whole top vibration mojo thing though.

I'm not sure of the maker, it popped up on a repost in google images.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 17961 times

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 02, 2015 9:53 am

demonx wrote:I've just been stunned into silence about this one piece bracing. Seems to go against the grain!

Makes me wonder if Cole Clarke will do a spin on this next, I can see the sense for mass production to drop a one piece brace on and glue up in one hit, not quite sure how it would effect the whole top vibration mojo thing though.

I'm not sure of the maker, it popped up on a repost in google images.
I look at some of these ideas and wonder if its all been done for bling rather than with the aim of optimising weight versus stiffness of bracing. Isnt a horizontally stacked sandwich of CF/wood/CF a better idea (the I-girder analogy) than vertical stacking it like on the top in the photo??
Martin

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sat May 02, 2015 9:57 am

Possibly McPherson Guitars ?
Bruce Mc.

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sat May 02, 2015 10:02 am

Bruce Mc.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat May 02, 2015 11:05 am

I was initially going to say a Batson bros top but I don't think they go to all that trouble with a sandwiched top and carbon inserted bracing, plus one feature of their builds is a lack of soundhole in the top so a +1 on the McPherson
Bugger all happening on my bench at the mo, a few repair jobs to keep the credit card payments under control and another 5 string cigarbox resonator build on the go. Once thats done I may even start the 12 string that I've had rattling around in my head and on the back burner for the past few years! I have been trying to flog off some of my earlier builds (a 17" archtop at the moment) as I'm all out of room and my wife doesn't want her wardrobe filling up with the same number of guitars I have in mine! So I think it might be prudent to cull the numbers before introducing more!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 02, 2015 11:52 am

"Side braces are aligned with both the top and back braces to mechanically channel these vibrations around the entire body of the guitar"

And here I am busting my nuts fitting stiff laminated top linings to PREVENT the vibration channeling down the side of the instrument.
Martin

scripsit
Myrtle

Post by scripsit » Sat May 02, 2015 12:18 pm

I don't think it's carbon in the bracing, but some darker wood like rosewood laminated in the centre.

The website has altered in the last year or so (although they still have audio not synced to video in their movie clips, which makes you wonder what's been done to the sound outside the recording), but there used to be a lot of guff about how 'rosewood in particular can channel the musical frequencies to the sides', and an even more complicated explanation of how the cantilevered bits were shooting bits of sound around the place.

Kym

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 02, 2015 1:01 pm

scripsit wrote:I don't think it's carbon in the bracing, but some darker wood like rosewood laminated in the centre.
Why would you do that??? You add a denser in the middle? Would make the brace alot stiffer but at a high cost in terms of extra weight. No wonder they need to isolate the braces from the top as much as possible....if those brick shithouse braces were in contact with the top along their entire length the top would be about as vibrant as a dunny door.
Martin

scripsit
Myrtle

Post by scripsit » Sat May 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Yep, but all of that sciencey stuff aside I think that it's because rosewood is supposed to have magical powers. This is what the original explanation on the McPherson site seemed to be hinting at (it might even have been Brazilian Rosewood that they were using).

Although, to be fair, didn't the Larson Brothers guitars have laminated braces of a similar style?

I agree it makes no engineering sense.

Kym

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sat May 02, 2015 3:09 pm

I'm making some progress ( slowly ) on my first archtop, i've just glued the back to the sides, and i'm happy with the way it all went. I started this one about 8 months ago, but i've only been doing it in between other projects, they're all done now except for some bits and pieces, so i'll be able to spend more time on this one. The b/s are EIRW, supplied by the customer ( cost an arm and a leg ) and the top is Lutz which is carved but still needs the f holes cut.
Wayne
Attachments
IMGP3225_1200x798.JPG

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Nice looking lines there Wayne....
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sat May 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks Martin.
Wayne

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sat May 02, 2015 5:13 pm

Not exactly lutherie but I have been making saw dust. I have just finished lining my
metal garage to make it more habitable. I used 6mm brace stock as the lining board
with earthwool insulation. The roof is also insulated. The rigid steel wall frames are
aligned with the steel roof trusses so the harmonic vibrations will be channeled out the
door. :wink: The timber in the metal rack is not tonewood. It is accumulated left overs
from previous projects that I kept for Ron. The next step is to get rid of all the crap,
rearrange the workspace around the equipment and make myself a decent workbench.
Attachments
Garage3.jpg
Garage2.jpg
Garage1.jpg
Bruce Mc.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sat May 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Nice one Bruce, i love perving at others workshops, can get some good ideas to use in your own, i insulated a couple of sheds with 15 mm foil board and lined over it with 6mm mdf, turned out vey cosy.
Wayne,, nice job on the archie, good to see someone else carving out a niche!! :) :)
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com