Humidity in Perth - Garage building

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

MatthewM
Wandoo

Humidity in Perth - Garage building

Post by MatthewM » Tue May 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi All,

Long time lurker here. Last year I completed the Thomas Lloyd guitars building course.

It's taken me awhile but I have finally claimed territorial rights of the double car garage at home and converted it to a workshop.

I'm starting my first home acoustic build in about 3 weeks. I have some really nice timber to choose from and was planning to acclimate the timber in the garage a few weeks before hand.

My humidity meters are showing around 65%.

I've got a dehumidifier for the garage and I am about to seal the roller door so air can't escape (or not easily).

My question is for this time of year what % should I aim for on humidifier and whether anyone in Perth has had experience in dealing with humidity via garages in perth.

Many Thanks

Matthew

Jeremy D
Admin

Re: Humidity in Perth - Garage building

Post by Jeremy D » Tue May 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Mathew,

I was in the same situation as you when I was living in suburbia. I gave up on getting the humidity the the garage right and put the dehumidifier in a cupboard inside. This allows the dehumidifier to work efficiently. I just keep my wood and work in progress in the cupboard until I am ready to get to work. When I am doing critical gluing I make sure it is fresh out of the cupboard before glue-up and put it back in while the glue dries.

I have an external controller for the dehumidifier keep mine about 38 - 40%. 4 guitars in and I haven't had an issue yet.
Jeremy D

Peter Young
Myrtle

Post by Peter Young » Tue May 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Hello Mathew

When we started building down here in Albany, I went on the BOM site and worked out the average humidity for the year. Worked out to be around 50%

So ... building a guitar for Albany conditions, anything within 40 to 50 % range RH is what we go for.

Regards Peter
In pursuit of the lies & lore of lutherie

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue May 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Perths okay, just keep your workshop closed to the environment

Avoid bracing and joining during the downpours and all will be good

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:25 pm

I am in Sydney and have limited work space. I have a Delonghi CF08m dehumidifier which I put in a medium sized bathroom to control the humidity to 45% and that works well. When I put it in a double garage it barely reduced the humidity at all. You will need a bigger dehumidifier or a smaller room.

You could put a dehumidifier in a cupboard or, as I might try, a walk in greenhouse that is available at Bunnings, masters or Aldi.
Richard

MatthewM
Wandoo

Post by MatthewM » Wed May 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks guys

I don't think my wife would allow me to take over another room.

I have sealed the garage door and put a dehumidifier in. Hopefully Steve is right and won't be a big issue in perth. If it fluctuates too much ill have to go the cupboard route.

Since the rain stopped the humidity has dropped from 68 to 45.

Cheers