A bad Aussie dollar - Could it be a good thing?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

slowlearner
Blackwood

A bad Aussie dollar - Could it be a good thing?

Post by slowlearner » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Just came back from a month in the UK. The state of AU$ meant it was pretty expensive, but it gave me a new perspective of how lucky we are in many ways. The bad news is, the dollar supposed to stay this way for a while and even dip lower.

I've been thinking though, could the bad AU$ give us opportunities we didn't have in OS markets? Additionally, will it make locals more inclined to look at locally built instruments with a more competitive price point?

Keen to the hear wisdom of this community... :)
Pete

routout
Blackwood

Re: A bad Aussie dollar - Could it be a good thing?

Post by routout » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm new here couldn't find a welcome Sticky ,So Hi all I have read a lot on here and seen some fine Instruments we compete on the world stage easily and meet the most stringent test of any admires getting people to buy Aus is difficult ,or should I say getting people to buy any hand made work is the stigma remains .I was mad at the Dollar plunging at first as I purchase a lot OS in the past but now I make most of what I need and things are pretty good all round ,cheers John.
John ,of way too many things to do.

Ormsby Guitars

Re: A bad Aussie dollar - Could it be a good thing?

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Bad AUD = we can increase pricing. Sure, parts cost 20% more now, compared to 18 months ago, but overseas dollars buy 20% more Aussie products. A 20% increase = $800 more on a $4000 instrument. That more than covers the $100-200 extra in parts/materials costs. For overseas customers our pricing hasn't chsnged with the increase.

On top of that, every instrument imported to sell via a store has gone up. The playing field is better now than ever. Profits have increased. Win win.