Dimensions for concert sized pineapple ukulele

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Quinny
Myrtle

Dimensions for concert sized pineapple ukulele

Post by Quinny » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi
I am wanting to make a concert sized pineapple uke. I have scoured the Internet for dimensions but sites only list scale length and total length of their ukes for sale, not body size. Hama Lima site has plans for $12 but no PDFs, Only $45 for printing and postage!!!

Anyone got advice on body dimensions. Or do I just make it as long as standard concert uke. My only other choice is to blow up an image of a full length uke and take the scale and total lengths provided, then get out a ruler and work by scale. Unless anyone has recommended dimensions.

Thanks

Andrew

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Dimensions for concert sized pineapple ukulele

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Quinny wrote:Hi
I am wanting to make a concert sized pineapple uke. I have scoured the Internet for dimensions but sites only list scale length and total length of their ukes for sale, not body size. Hama Lima site has plans for $12 but no PDFs, Only $45 for printing and postage!!!

Anyone got advice on body dimensions. Or do I just make it as long as standard concert uke. My only other choice is to blow up an image of a full length uke and take the scale and total lengths provided, then get out a ruler and work by scale. Unless anyone has recommended dimensions.

Thanks

Andrew
The Hana Lima plans are high quality drawings......factor out postage and the cost isn't that huge.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:11 am

Put pencil to paper to design the body. We just went through this in the uke building class going on in my workshop right now.

Start with the scale length, and then decide if it's 12 or 14 frets to body. Place the sound hole in an appropriate spot between the bridge and the end of the fret board. They will typically have not have more than 16 frets on a pineapple concert.

This should give you enough info to start sketching out a body shape that will put that bridge in an appropriate spot in relation to the sound hole with it's lower transverse brace, and the tail block.

Use a Google image search to get some ideas if you're stumped.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

hooked
Kauri

Post by hooked » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:21 am

Hana Lima are good plans and if you purchase a construction manual along with the plans, the postage cost wont be that prohibitive. The manual is one of the best I have seen for ukulele building and moderately priced.

Cheers

Daryl

Quinny
Myrtle

Post by Quinny » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for your replies on this query. Part of me wanted to do this design without plans and work it out. I already had plans for a standard shape concert uke. I assumed the pineapple body would be longer and maybe narrower. But I was wrong.

I finally realised from the Kamaka website that their soprano standard shape body and soprano pineapple had the same size body length. So that query was now answered - the pineapple isn't longer. So I could use the same length body measurement of my standard concert uke for my concert pineapple uke - being 265mm long.

So I got a pineapple uke image from Google and enlarged it to 265mm body length. So I now have a full scale body shape for a template. Ready to go!

Thanks again

Andrew