"Business of Lutherie" forum?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Re: "Business of Lutherie" forum?

Post by simso » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Our workshop is 220 sqm,

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:09 pm

135 sq m and very cramped. (9 x 15m)

When we find a new location to build on, I'd like much larger. Ideally I'd like double that.

Mat
Myrtle

Post by Mat » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks Steve and Allen.

I've been looking at sheds and from advice from every old man I've come to the conclusion that you should choose a shed size and then double it.

Cheers,

Matt

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 pm

We have a 6 x 9m (high roof), with a 3 x 9 m extension (low roof).

The main area is for building. Two main benches, one side bench for junk, 90% of wood storage, racks for cases (about 45 all up), tool chests, surface planer, thicknesser, drill press, bandsaw, sanders and pickup winding area. All the bodies get stored in boxes in racks when we arent working on them, between 20-50 at any one time, and the necks go onto racks.

The extension has a cnc, laser cutter, spray booth, paint rack, press for tops, filing cabinet, compressor, and drum sander.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 pm

I will add that I started in a 6m x 4m "office" space, with a toilet as a spray booth. Did that for a few years then leased commercial property which was 200-220m2, split down the middle with a big wall to control dust / store cars and junk.

Part of me missed the big workshop, but we arent really crowded in our 9 x 9 space now (two staff plus me). The savings on working from home versus commercial property lease has allowed me to buy the home, and mostly pay it off. In fact, the commercial lease plus a shitty little apartment rent was more than $1000 a month over the cost of a nice home on a 1/4 acre.

What i found was to make sure the rent was paid in time, we would really push the repair side of things for cashflow. And that meant we built less guitars. More clients coming in = less work gets done, as they want to take a look around. For me, building guitars is more profitable than repairs, partially because we dont have the volume of people coming through the shop for a 'quick look'.

We WILL either move back to commercial property, or take a lease on a storage site as our Korean lines start coming in. Most likely the storage site. We are building another 6 x 8m shed on the property next month, to hold some immediate stock, cases, plus my beloved cars (which are all under damn car ports or tarps at the moment).

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:09 pm

Damn, clicked post too soon!

As we move forward, we are looking to get a large acreage on the edges of the metro area. Assuming we get approval for the idea and a block in the area we are looking at (this council though IS a pain), we want to build a 15 x 8 (or similar) workshop UNDERGROUND (so I can call it my... underground lair) with a garage over the top.

Alternatively, we are also considering BUYING commercial space, and if so we will go large, and then possible offer the workshop to other luthiers to use, who do not have the facilities themselves. Kind of like a shared arrangement. A lot of logistics to consider, but I think it would be cool to have a few guys working away on their own brands all under one roof. Maybe they make electrics? Maybe they make cellos... I dont know. I dont see it as a "come hire the workshop for three hours" but more of a "certain number of days per week, annual agreement" deal. Shared machinery and even resources possibly. Shared book keepers on site? Split the costs of an assistant maybe. "Hey we are bringing in a pallet of hardware, do you want to get in on some of that?". Make it like a 'guitar making hub' in Perth. We do have a large 250m2 factory unit that is in the family, and available in a few months, so there is a lot to think about...

Anyway, enough 'brain dump' for one night...

hepikohetaniwha
Kauri

Post by hepikohetaniwha » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:37 pm

That's a great idea; the Mile End Guitar Shop in Montreal are doing a similar thing I think. It might be worth getting in touch to see how they work it. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mile-End ... 4922310026

Mat
Myrtle

Post by Mat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks Perry,

The more I know the less mistakes I have to make in order to 'learn'. I understand we all gotta' cut our teeth on something but hopefully for me it won't be building a small shed :lol:

Cheers.

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:06 am

Folks, many questions related to the business of lutherie were asked and answered over on my blog - theluthierblog.com I ran it for about a year and I've shelved it for now, mainly cos I ain't got the time to compile all the stuff. I did most of the writing whist travelling around Asia, now I'm back at the bench and getting through all the work. I'll pick it back up on my next bit of extended travel.

Anyway way, I took the blog content and made it into an ebook.

http://www.amazon.com.au/Luthier-Blog-O ... ds=luthier

It's $AU 11.99 and there is a lot of good stuff in there from many experienced makers. 278 pages covering marketing, as well as interviews, and a few jigs. But there is plenty in there about making a living from people who do.

If you've got a kindle, you can download a kindle app for free for your computer.

Nigel
http://www.nkforsterguitars.com
http://www.theluthierblog.com