New member intro

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New member intro

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Howdy folks. I heard about this forum from one of my students, Gregory Fulgham. He recently posted some pics of his tiger myrtle classical that his is building in one of my advanced guitar building courses. I recognize a few of the names here.
My name is Robert O'Brien, some also know me as Robbie. I teach guitar building and finishing at a college in Colorado USA. Over the last 4 and 1/2 years we have turned out over 200 guitars in the course.
A few years ago I started putting together instructional DVD's for my students and they are now carried by LMI among other companies.
My DVD's have actually become quite popular in Australia and are available from a local supplier. You can find them here.

http://luthierssupplies.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_95

It looks like you folks from down under have a nice forum for exchanging ideas. I look forward to participating.
Happy Building![/url]
www.obrienguitars.com

Gregory USA
Kauri

Hey Robbie!

Post by Gregory USA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Robbie O'Brien is a fantastic instructor with whom I have worked for the past 2 years. He builds some of the most amazing acoustic and classical instruments, and he's a very well respected instructor here in the USA. His guitar programs are unparalleled and he is very dedicated to his students. With about 70 students a year, Robbie builds a demo guitar for each class, but he also is involved in building the instruments with the students. In essence I would say he builds about 70 instruments a year, and some get built twice if you know what I mean. On top of that, he is contantly striving to improve technique with new tools, and ideas, and he too is constantly learning and improvising. I've never known him to not solve a building problem.

He's very personable, gregarious, friendly and generous. He's also one heck of a player/performer too. Take some time to check out his website and his DVD's. I'm lucky to have him for an instructor, and will continue to build with him until he kicks my ass. Dop him a line and say hello, he's a great guy!

Gregory

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi Robbie and welcome to the ANZLF!!!! :cl :cl :cl

Robbie's instructional videos are excellent and have taught me a bunch!

It's great to have you here Robbie my friend.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Welcome, Robbie.

I can vouch for Robbie, too. I have his finishing DVD and it is excellent.

Ron

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Robbie,

Welcome to the ANZLF, always enjoyed your input at the OLF and look forward to your future participation here.

Cheers

Kim

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Fantastic to have you with us Robbie. Your experience and talent ( and humour ! :lol: ) is most welcome here in Australia.

I'm sure most of us already know of your background . You will indeed be an asset to our forum . Thanks for joining up !

Cheers !
Craig Lawrence

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi Robbie and welcome. Good to see you here..

Great DVD by the way...Most of my current guitar has been built following the instructions in your DVD....which is great resource.

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Robbie,

Welcome aboard!!
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi Robbie and welcome.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:35 am

Wow! Thanks for the welcome everyone and the glowing review by Gregory. BTW, I have asked Gregory to be one of my teaching assistants for the upcoming Fall semester. He does some fine work.
I am glad to hear that my DVD's are being useful. For those wanting to take your building to the next level, I am currently working on a DVD with Kent Everett on acoustic guitar voicing and another one on set up. They should be out in a few months.
In the meantime, I look forward to participating on the forum.
With so many familiar names here I feel right at home.
:D
www.obrienguitars.com

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:56 am

Welcome Robbie, I bought your DVD for my first build and it was invaluable. I still refer to it from time to time, as there is heaps of info that you just can't absorb all in one go.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia