Headstock resonance can be a problem

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Headstock resonance can be a problem

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:57 am

As many of us already have experienced chasing down the culprit of buzzing strings can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. This classical guitar is quite comfortable to play, but the not fretted strings 4 through 6 (G to low E string) were buzzing quite badly when played loud. I first thought it could be a lose string end or a lose part of the tuning machines. I finalyl found out that the buzz stopped when gripping with my fingers just any of the tuning gear buttons, it did not matter which one. This made me think that the problem might be the headstock itself, respectively one of its resonances causing the strings to do strange things. I found out that the problem also disappeared by firmly clamping additional weight to the headstock. In the following video you can appreciate the difference a 17 gram plastic clamp makes:

youtu.be/

If you didn't hear the difference you most likely will do when using headphones.

I have to say that the neck at the nut is rather thin for a classical guitar (19 mm opposed to more common 21 mm). Modifying the neck thickness, or even testing the difference neck thickness was making here was absolutely out of consideration, so I proceeded to add some weight to, or should I say into the headstock. A brace and bit is a wonderful tool when it comes to drill a hole in exactly the direction you want, when mounting the work piece beneath a drillpress bit would be a bit too time consuming:

Then I buried two pieces of 35 mm long M8 threaded rod in the two holes, which made an additional weight of 20 grams. I used epoxy to glue them tight, but oiled the threads so that I could get them out again in case the result would not be satisfying:

Next I cut some plugs to give the upper machine plate screws a grip. Getting the plug's grain orientation "correct" is not necessary as the plug will be completely hidden by the machine plate, but it was a good exercise:

Plug is glued in and gets trimmed level:

It worked just fine, problem solved, and it was much cheaper than buying heavier tuning machines (Sloane 300 USD, Alessi over 1k I believe, and so on) . :D
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Headstock resonance can be a problem

Post by johnparchem » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:06 am

Interesting post, I understand that altering the head stock resonance stopped the buzzing, did you ever figure out what was buzzing? I just wondered if the original resonance got some other component buzzing.

I just racked down some string buzzing on my re-topped 8 string. In my case I was using the original saddle in a new bridge and it was a little loose.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:37 am

Hi John,

Sorry, I forgot to mention here what actually was buzzing (I only wrote it in the YT video comment). It was the string(s) that hit the second, and plucking harder also the third fret. Upon my suspicion I sprinkled a bit of bone powder (remains from nut and saddle shaping) over the first few frets to make nicely visible what happens there. with the plastic clamp on, the strings stopped touching the second and third fret, and the noise had gone as well.
johnparchem wrote:II just racked down some string buzzing on my re-topped 8 string. In my case I was using the original saddle in a new bridge and it was a little loose.
Yes there's a myriad of possible reasons for string buzzing. Checking for tightness of the nut and saddle fit was one of the first things I did. Then checking for evenly seated frets, and so on. I was quite lucky in the process of tracking down the problem I'd say.
Markus

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:07 am

Markus,

Did you manage to measure the frequency of the buzz?

When tap testing a classical some time back I noticed some really low frequency peaks on the plots which disappeared when I clamped the neck to the bench so it couldn't vibrate.
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Martin,

To be honest, I didn't bother at all measuring or tracking down the resonance frequency that was responsible for the buzzing of the four lowest not fretted strings. I just thought "great, problem solved". :D

However, I have the spectrogram of the finished guitar before I even discovered that plucking those strings very hard was a problem, and I can of course now record another spectrogram of the fixed guitar. Like you I also believe that the "headstock and/or neck resonance" must be found somewhere amongst those peaks below the main air resonance frequency. I'll have a look.
Markus

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks Markus
Very interesting. I still have my buzz so I will try this.
Cheers
Richard

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:24 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:However, I have the spectrogram of the finished guitar before I even discovered that plucking those strings very hard was a problem, and I can of course now record another spectrogram of the fixed guitar. Like you I also believe that the "headstock and/or neck resonance" must be found somewhere amongst those peaks below the main air resonance frequency. I'll have a look.
Here:
1+2st.jpg
Markus