First Classical, Finish finally done! (pics and sound clip)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WaddyT
Blackwood

First Classical, Finish finally done! (pics and sound clip)

Post by WaddyT » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:40 am

Well, after playing it with a partial finish for several months, I finally took it apart, stripped the top down to the wood, and re French Polished the top again to get rid of the ridiculous fingernail scratches I put on it when glazing. It looks much better now, and I finally polished out the finish a bit to clean it up. For those who have not seen it, it is based on the 1973 Romanillos design that Julian Bream played for years. It was built, mostly, with hand tools, for experience and learning. All binding and purfling channels and rosette channels were cut by hand. I used a band saw for some cutting where it was more accurate, a Radial arm saw for slotting the fingerboard, a trim router for the swoop in the Headstock, and a drill press for drilling holes and thicknessing veneers for the rosette and purflings.

Body - Zebrawood from RCTonewoods
Top - German Spruce from RCTonewoods
Top Bracing - Italian Moon Spruce
Back Bracing - Honduran Mahogany
Fingerboard and Bridge - BRW - RCTonewoods
Bindings - BRW OLF Swapmeet
Neck - One piece Honduran Mahog, bought 25 years ago when Harmony closed their Chicago facility. I bought 12 band sawn blanks for about 2.00 each.
Purflings and Rosette - Zebrawood off cuts, Maple, Black dyed ? wood, Walnut and BRW veneers.
Tuning Machines - Rubner

Feel free to move on if you have already seen the guitar on another forum. Here is a clip of a friend and local player having a go at it. He said not to use his name, and to say he did it cold, which he did, while I waited, with no warm-up. I normalized to 75% and cleaned out a couple of squeeks, but added no EQ or other effects. It was recorded, dead flat, with a Sony Professional Mini Recorder, with a built in Ceramic Microphone. Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" (An Alm for the Love of God}

Thanks for looking. If you have already commented, in another forum, no need to be repetitious, and I appreciate all comments, positive and instructional. I still have much to learn.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:23 am

Thanks Waddy, that playing was inspirational and the guitar looks fabulous. Made my morning it has... What did you do differently whan you FP'd this time?
make mine fifths........

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:35 am

Thanks for your comments.

First of all, I wore rubber gloves to reduce the direct nail to finish contact. It helped tremendously. I also became much more careful when I was working to keep my "player's nails" tucked in on top of the muneca. The original finish was a bit splotchy too, so I used lighter shellac on the final pass. I used a Medium Blond Shellac. I did want to impart a little color. I don't love very white tops.
Waddy

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:18 am

Looks great, Waddy! You made it glow!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 am

Well Waddy,

I was sitting here with a rather bad case of flu with all the attendent symptoms and I clicked you sound file. Quite a sweet refreshing tune to lift the spirits. I am sure you have been rewarded if by this perfomance alone.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks, Dennis and Tim.

Tim, I'm sorry to hear of your flu symptoms. Glad the music soothed your spirit if not your symptoms. I have listened to it many times, and I only wish I could play like that. I'm proud to have a friend who does, and is willing to make a recording for me. I did leave the guitar with him for a week to try out.
Waddy

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:10 pm

I don't know much about classical guitars, but I know what I like, and that is a beauty. Is the head stock design your own, or is this a common look to this style of instrument? It does look quite Spanish.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Post by Kim Strode » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Great looking guitar, I'd like to see some close-ups images of your bridge so I can see how you've tied the strings.
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi Waddy
I'm new to the forum but in a few short weeks the benifits for me have been amaizing. Thats a fine looking guitar, I can appreciate the efforts that must have gone into a finish like that as I learnt French Polishing as an apprentice *#@ years ago, haven't done it since. Every day I get inspiration. thanks for the sound clip also, sounded good across the range.
Taff

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:08 pm

G'day Waddy,

I'm really taken by your headstock design. Those Rubner tuners look sharp too Waddy. Where are they available ?

Sounds wonderful . Great work mate
Craig Lawrence

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:02 pm

That is a beautiful guitar Waddy. And your friend can play! If that was cold, I'd love to hear some more stuff when he's warmed up. Makes me wish I'd kept up with the classical guitar as a kid.

When my 2 year old daughter listened to it she kept saying, "Nice... nice and warm" (no prompting from Dad either!). High praise indeed! That clip has gone onto the ipod. If you've got some more I'd love it if you posted them.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Hey Waddy....wow!

I just love that rosette and also the bindings.

A superb instrument.

Cheers Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Tim,

Would a wood order help to make you feel better?

Get well soon mate.

Cheers Martin

TimS wrote:Well Waddy,

I was sitting here with a rather bad case of flu with all the attendent symptoms and I clicked you sound file. Quite a sweet refreshing tune to lift the spirits. I am sure you have been rewarded if by this perfomance alone.

regards

Tim

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 pm

Actually I have had a craving to put on my lutherie hat and tuck into a classical guitar once the flu passes. I am as always happy to oblige with wood if the need is required. I will be receiving a bulk order of African Blackwood bits and pieces soon.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:59 am

Wow, you are a generous lot! Thanks for your comments.

Allen, I built in the style of Jose Romanillos, which is definitely "Spanish Style". I tried to maintain the Spanish process of construction, throughout. You can see my process in my build album in my signature.

showtell, the bridge is an 18 hole bridge, also used by Romanillos in his guitars. It has many good purposes, but my favorite is the clean look and the unencumbered break angle to the saddle. Here are a couple of shots. Image
These were before I had a string slip and started melting a little ball on the end of the treble strings before tying.

Taffy, I still have a lot to learn about French Polishing. I ended up taking the top down to wood twice before getting something I could live with. The first time was because I started with an Amber Shellac, and it splotched horribly. Second time was the fingernail scratches.

Craig, the Rubners are just fine. Not the finest, mind you, but they are OK. I got in on a multi tuner purchace at OLF, and got about 5 sets, all different, for just over $225, including shipping. The person leading the group purchase had to buy 50 sets to get the 40% discount. I do think they have other break points at 10 sets and 30 sets, or something like that. Here is a link to their site. http://www.rubner-markneukirchen.de/ Also, Martin, at http://www.best-eurspruce.com carries them, and I understand that he can get their steel string tuners which are not listed on their website. Even at the retail price, the price is not too high for the quality of the product, IMO.

I had originally planned to use a set of Gilbert Tuners on the guitar, but they looked too clunky and machine like on the lighter colors of wood involved. Maybe I'll use them on a Rosewood version with an Ebony Fingerboard. The ones I have are black, and I like them a lot. Talk about smooth! No one makes them better from that standpoint. They are like butter to turn. Anyway, the Rubner's happen to have a similar footprint to the Gilberts, and that's how I ended up using them on this guitar. More than you wanted to know! :)

Joel, I know what you mean. I have been playing in an ensemble for 20 years and have neglected my solo practicing for years. The new guitar, has me practicing some solo work every night now, though I have a long way to go, just to get to where I was 20 years ago. "If you don't use it you loose it!" Apparently it does not apply to all things. :D

Martin, thanks, the rosette was also my design, and I'm very happy with it, as it will change with every set of back and side wood I use, but still be my signature rosette tile. I can change the purflings and the alternating woods without losing the signature.

Thanks again folks for your comments.
Waddy

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Waddy,

Congratulations M8, your guitar looks just wonderful and is testament to your ability to pay attention to detail and to never accept second best. You friend plays beautifully and you guitar does justice to his talent fingers, what a mesmerising and hypnotic tune.

Well done to the Waddster 8)

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:29 pm

TimS wrote:I will be receiving a bulk order of African Blackwood bits and pieces soon.

regards

Tim
Just get the supplier to forward it direct to me please Tim.

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Thanks, Kim.
Waddy

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:35 am

Such gorgeous wood and finish.Love that Headstock too!
Just an all - around beauty Waddy !!
I did post on the other forum but Hey,It deserves
to be complimented on again! Great Job !
:cl :cl :cl :cl
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:16 am

Waddy, many thanks for the pics and sound clip.
Absolutely beautiful! Kudos to you for your perseverance--it paid off!
And, oh! that my fingers could do such things when cold!

Say, could you post a close-up shot showing the top purfling, maybe one also catching the rosette?

Thanks,

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

snidermike
Beefwood

Post by snidermike » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:32 am

Wow. Beautiful.
Mike Snider

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:55 pm

"And, oh! that my fingers could do such things when cold! "

If only mine could do it warmed up! :D

Here is a shot of the Rosette and Top Purfling

The layers of the top binding and purfling are, BRW binding, Maple, Walnut/Maple rope, Maple, BRW, Black. The layers of the Rosette are BRW, Maple, Walnut/Maple Rope, Maple, Blk, Maple, Blk, Maple, Tiles, Blk, Maple, BRW. Maple, Rope, Maple, BRW.

Thanks again for all of your comments.
Waddy

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:00 am

Good stuff, Waddy. I like your eye for design.
Thanks!

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 am

Stephen Kinnaird wrote:Good stuff, Waddy. I like your eye for design.
Thanks!

Steve
Me to, the rose and bindings are very refined, complex without being loud.

Classy work Waddy, well done.

Kim

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Thanks guys, you are very kind! :oops:
Waddy