Do your instruments have stories too?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alaska Splty Woods

Do your instruments have stories too?

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:37 pm

You folks that build instruments are artists, not just instrument builders factory workers. Your product is more, though you are probably competing to sell your product with cheap chineese factory music boxes. What about adding a story, andf addingt soul to your work of art. It doesn't need to be fancy, but it should sound Great and look natural.
Check out this 7 min. video of Tom Bedell addressing the World Forest Conferance in Durban S Africa last month.
Hopefully a trend setter, and Most certainly a man of principle and conviction for conservation of our natural resource gifts. Something else you may not know about Tom. Hiss Dad Berkley Bedell was the founder of Berkley Fishing gear. When Berkley, ran and became a Senator for Iowa, Tom took over the company, and grew in into a multi-national company. He sold that Co. in 2009 and went into his real passion of guitars and music. Hats off, and I raise my glass of good beer to my friend and Customer... Tom Bedell
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5OZPtQSRWs

We at ASW are not only a custom shop processing 100% salvage sourced old growth, but we can provide a story with all our products as well. That is why Bedell, Breedlove, Weber , Santa Cruz guitars and many others come to us for their sounboards of Sitka and Cedars.Like us at facebook.

routout
Blackwood

Re: Do your instruments have stories too?

Post by routout » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:20 pm

I walked up those stars for 15 years and vowed if the factory gets demolished i am going to claim that hand rail of Ash and that is what I did,Oh the template that is my universal routing plate :D All good fun.
Attachments
ash.jpg
ash.jpg (150.05 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
John ,of way too many things to do.

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 am

I love what he's doing there. I've been trying to build electric guitars/basses for the last few years using as much salvaged/native timbers as possible. It's not easy, but I don't see why we need to use imported stuff when Aussie stuff is pretty amazing. :)
Pete

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:28 am

slowlearner wrote:I love what he's doing there. I've been trying to build electric guitars/basses for the last few years using as much salvaged/native timbers as possible. It's not easy, but I don't see why we need to use imported stuff when Aussie stuff is pretty amazing. :)
Agree with your comment as far as back, side and neck woods go. For top wood the choice amongst the Australian woods is more limited. I've not found any Aussie top wood that comes close to woods like Lutz spruce for stiffness/weight specs.
Martin

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:20 pm

Martin, I don't recognize your name as me we have sent any of our Fabulous Sitka. Maybe you will want to give us a try and specify some criteria for tonal properties. I'll bet we meet or exceed them. And from timber source that has been ages in the round for decades.

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:02 pm

I had thought after posting, was looking for a way to edit my last post. I am sure criteria can be met or exceeded. The light weight you are looking for,m the stiffnesss oof a GREAT soundboard, by both the cut and the material, but add in the toughness hardness of Sitka fiber, that adds to it's durability, and desirability. I have a limited supply some VERY special material cut from a bridge stringer log that I purchased in 1998. AA tree that was cut in the mid 80's for a log bridge. A customer who values it's tonal properties has purchased quite a few sets after testing the first recieved several yeaars ago. I''ll bet Greg Maxwell Owner of Dogwood Guitars would be quite happy to confirm. One would have to contact me by email to arrange a sale of this sort.