Falcate Braced Classical (No 13)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Falcate Braced Classical (No 13)

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:31 pm

This ones been on the bench for a couple of years now. In between working on the Gore OM Ive been French Polishing the classical and today the final body session got done on the top. The neck is on and the instrument will sit for a few weeks while the top cures. The finish is hard shellac all over. The bridge will then go on and once Ive finished the Godzilla spreadsheet for working out nut/saddle compensation the nut and saddle will get done.

Specs:

Back and sides - EIR
Top: Englemann
Neck: Queensland Maple. Bolt on/Bolt down.
Bracing: falcate (king billy pine)

Will post up VA plots in the near future.

IMG_1583.jpg
IMG_1585.jpg
IMG_1586.jpg
IMG_1587.jpg
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Falcate Braced Classical (No 13)

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:36 pm

Nice Martin. EIRW? What's the hard shellac like to use? I'm thinking of trying some.
Wayne

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 am

You guitar looks good. I will look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Martin,

I'm interested in the approach you're adopting for your compensation spreadsheet.

A while ago there was a discussion in a thread about getting the spreadsheet to determine the optimum nut and saddle compensation for each string. That was way beyond me so I decided to adopt the simpler approach of inputting a trial nut and saddle compensation and generating a graph of the resulting intonation error at each fret, similar to the graphs in "the book". By simple trial and error, I could easily determine the nut and saddle compensation for each string that gave the best looking graph. It only takes a few seconds per string and I can see in the graph what effect the changing trial values are having.
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Woodsy23 wrote:Martin,

I'm interested in the approach you're adopting for your compensation spreadsheet.

A while ago there was a discussion in a thread about getting the spreadsheet to determine the optimum nut and saddle compensation for each string. That was way beyond me so I decided to adopt the simpler approach of inputting a trial nut and saddle compensation and generating a graph of the resulting intonation error at each fret, similar to the graphs in "the book". By simple trial and error, I could easily determine the nut and saddle compensation for each string that gave the best looking graph. It only takes a few seconds per string and I can see in the graph what effect the changing trial values are having.
Hi Richard,

Still on the total compensation calculations with my spreadsheet. Thanks for the tip on using a graph to find optimum nut and saddle component of compensation for each string.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:38 am

That satin finish on the neck/headstock looks great Martin. Is that shellac straight off the rag, or did you do something more?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:That satin finish on the neck/headstock looks great Martin. Is that shellac straight off the rag, or did you do something more?
It's hard shellac from Robert....it's pretty much straight from the bottle as used on the rest of the instrument.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks, Martin. Did you do a separate grain fill or just go with the shellac?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:21 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:Thanks, Martin. Did you do a separate grain fill or just go with the shellac?
No grain fill Trevor.....the Queensland Maple wasn't that "porey". The grain fill on the back and sides is west systems epoxy applied with a squeegee. It took four sessions to get all the pores filled.

The hard shellac is 2lb cut straight from the bottle. Robert made up a standard mix rather than the one that you normally use.
Martin