Fretted to Fretless Conversion

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Fretted to Fretless Conversion

Post by mickeyj4j » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi all I have a karina 4 string J/P p assume bass
Image Image Image Image
I would like to convert it to a fretless. After pulling the frets out....
1a. Do I need to fill the fret slots in or can I leave then slots unfilled?
2. Would leaving the fret slots unfilled temporarily to test if I like this as fretless be ok?
3. If its best to fill them in, what would be a good filler product.

Here is what I think the filling process would be.
1. Using nail puller pliers to remove the frets. Image
2. Scrape in putty or other filler into the frets. Wipe of any excess filler.
3. Leave to dry
4. Sand frets and fretboard flush
5. Apply several coats of hard clear coating like varnish, apoxy. Not a soft oil finish. Allow to dry fully.
6. Use Flatwound strings so not to damage the fretboard.
7. Adjust the action lower as no frets.

PLAYING
when playing to get proper in tune notes place fingers directly over where the frets were not just before.

Ideally if it's best to fill the fret slots in, as this bass has a darker fretboard, I would prefer black color filler so from a distance the frets were hidden but I could still see them to play in tune. I don't know what wood the fretboard is made of maybe you can tell from the above images.

Thanks for any further tips, tricks and other info you can provide.
P.S. I am in Auckland New Zealand.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

simso
Blackwood

Re: Fretted to Fretless Conversion

Post by simso » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:40 pm

When I convert an instrument from fretted to fretless, I like to insert some contrasting wood binding into the old fret slots, then sand level and wolla clean job

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Mickey, a tip i got from Irving Sloane's book is to buy some old nail pullers/pincers at a garage sale or op shop and then grind the top level to form a flat top and get a single bevel where the jaws meet. This helps get the jaws under the edge of the frets and minimises chipping of the fret board. I keep a old pair in my fretting kit.
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Jaco slapped a few coats of epoxy on his bass........ and the rest of the story of course is history

You might find a few tips here: http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-234.html
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:45 pm

seeaxe wrote:Mickey, a tip i got from Irving Sloane's book is to buy some old nail pullers/pincers at a garage sale or op shop and then grind the top level to form a flat top and get a single bevel where the jaws meet. This helps get the jaws under the edge of the frets and minimises chipping of the fret board. I keep a old pair in my fretting kit.
The nail pullers in Irving Sloane's day were probably made of better metal than the cr*p around these days. Ive got a couple of Stewmac pullers that work alot better than nail pullers. They're not as cheap as nail pullers but the SM fret pullers have small jaws and allow you to "walk" the fret out. Try applying a bit of heat with a soldering iron prior to pulling the fret.
Martin

aljosha
Kauri

Post by aljosha » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:46 pm

hy,

binding or standard veneer should be at around .5 or .6mm, so perfect fit for most fretslots

one mayor thing to keep in mind when doing this is that the intonation distance changes, and you might run into trouble with your bridge...
you dont need the fretmarkers on a fretless but there's nothing worse than having them in the "wrong place"
even if its just for others seeing you miss the fret... :D

and in my experience dead spots (and maybe lifespots) will get way stronger
at least on 3 of the 4 conversions I did that was the case, with one beeing unuseable in the high register (but not much a problem with frets...)

and with any conversion you will see where the frettang was pushed in to the board next to the veneers...

besides that, I prefer frettless and play mine in any situation (including grunge/metal jams)
and I play roundwounds, no problems (though no stainless steels yet) with non treated rosewood
you can lower the action drastically without getting annoing overtone noise/ fretbuzz
and you shouldn't fret hard for (that typical) sound and techniques sake

best
j

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:00 pm

One day I'm making a fretless classical.....Linda Manzer made one for Pat Methany. It can be heard on 'Imaginery Day"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIGlolM9G4
Martin

klooker
Beefwood

Post by klooker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:34 am

These are my pullers. A pair of inexpensive end cutting pliers - less than $10 here in the US from the hardware store.
FretPullers.jpg
FretPullers.jpg (80.05 KiB) Viewed 20419 times
The tops have been ground down flat.

Use plenty of heat when pulling, I use an old soldering gun. After heating try to gently squeeze the cutter jaws under the crown. Don't squeeze too hard, when they are ready they should go under without too much force. The angle of the underside of the cutters will work as a wedge. Once they go under, don't pull up and don't rock, move the pullers along the fret and nibble it up with small bites, you may have to add more heat.

I hope that makes sense.

Kevin Looker

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:13 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0
Ebay has heaps of fret pullers. Wayne

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:26 am

0.6mm veneer works well. set it in place and then flood with thin CA.
Putty or filler will be weak and may leave the neck a bit floppy as well as tending to wear.
CA also works well as a finish for the board.

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:31 am

All of the above will work. If you do a lot of fret work, I can attest Summit fret tools are worth every penny.

https://www.jescar.com/shop/summit-ergo ... et-puller/
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks for the link Craig. I like their bridge clamp!
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:27 pm

seeaxe wrote:Mickey, a tip i got from Irving Sloane's book is to buy some old nail pullers/pincers at a garage sale or op shop and then grind the top level to form a flat top and get a single bevel where the jaws meet. This helps get the jaws under the edge of the frets and minimises chipping of the fret board. I keep a old pair in my fretting kit.
I can't envision the exact angles, also don't have a grinder.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:45 pm

jeffhigh wrote:0.6mm veneer works well. set it in place and then flood with thin CA.
Putty or filler will be weak and may leave the neck a bit floppy as well as tending to wear.
CA also works well as a finish for the board.
Ok what is CA?

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Thanks for the excellent advice so far.
So from what you have said I have some more questions.
1. Find some 0.5mm or 0.6mm vaneer or binding. I would prefer dark to black colored wood to hide the frets from a distance.
1a. Can I pick this up in Bunnings here in Aucklan, Or is there a better place?
1b.do I need to glue the vaneer in? If so what glue do I need.
2. Should I use varnish, or other finish, or leave as is.
2a.what would be the best ginish to use? I have some homemade wipe on true-oil. (This is made of 1 part gloss estapol/polyurethane. 1 part boiled linseed oil. 1 part mineral turps. I used several coats to finish a ukulele after I did a custom finish on it, And used it to finish stompbox foot drums etc). Would this be ok to use?

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:59 pm

CA is cyanoacrylate or superglue
It is the best in this situation since you can install a strip of veneer(may need to be cut curved) protruding slightly above the surface and then wick in the CA from both sides.
after trimming down and sanding flush you can also wipe on the CA to give a fairly hard surface.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Firstly it would help to know the type of wood the fretboard is made of
CA glue is superglue
veneer can be found from a veneer manufacturer or importer. A slab of beer to the storeman or a small donation to the office Christmas party fund might get you the kind of quantity you need
If the fingerboard is ebony, wood can be ebonised by soaking steel wool in vinegar, strain thru a stocking after a few days of dissolving the steel wool then soak the wood in the solution...allow to dry and cut with a sharp blade into strips. But first, measure the width of the fret tang when you pull the frets out. It is worth heating each fret with a soldering iron first in case they are glued in. Fret pullers are all over ebay.
Most modern veneers are 0.6mm, so multiple veneers might be appropriate. Make sure the veneer is a neat fit or the fingerboard might be forced into a bow.
Fingerboards should not be oiled, and a finish is un necessary, particularly on a fretless as the strings will wear the finish away.
If the neck has side dots they will need to be removed and replaced with dots that line up with the "new invisible frets"
Given that the fingerboard in the photo has position dots on it, it might be a lot easier to replace the whole board with a new one.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Mickey
I have some veneer, depending on your colour needs, it might work for you. You are welcome to come and use my fret puller. Pm me if you are interested and we can get together.
Cheers
Richard
Richard

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:25 pm

jeffhigh wrote:CA is cyanoacrylate or superglue
It is the best in this situation since you can install a strip of veneer(may need to be cut curved) protruding slightly above the surface and then wick in the CA from both sides.
after trimming down and sanding flush you can also wipe on the CA to give a fairly hard surface.
What does one wick in glue?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 pm

mickeyj4j wrote: What does one wick in glue?
Use a low viscosity CA glue (eg Hot Stuff in the red bottle).
HS-4.jpg
The tip that comes with the bottle is thin enough to use as is but you can also buy micropipettes that plug onto the normal bottle nozzle. Gently squeeze the bottle so the glue fills the nozzle and then touch it to the fret slot...capilliary action will wick the glue into the slot. Make sure to suck the glue back into the bottle to clear the nozzle after use otherwise the glue will set and plug the nozzle.
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:56 am

kiwigeo wrote:
mickeyj4j wrote: What does one wick in glue?
Use a low viscosity CA glue (eg Hot Stuff in the red bottle).
HS-4.jpg
The tip that comes with the bottle is thin enough to use as is but you can also buy micropipettes that plug onto the normal bottle nozzle. Gently squeeze the bottle so the glue fills the nozzle and then touch it to the fret slot...capilliary action will wick the glue into the slot. Make sure to suck the glue back into the bottle to clear the nozzle after use otherwise the glue will set and plug the nozzle.
Ok is Hot Stuff available in NZ.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:20 am

Loctite 406 is also a good low viscosity glue, that,s what I use.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 am

Carbatec normally stock it. I got mine here but they wont post out the accelerator because it's in an aerosol. They also have the spare tips and micropipettes. http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoods ... tuff01.htm
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:45 am

I'll just add that doing it this way with CA and veneer, and a CA finish wiped on the board is really fast, I did a customers Bass in 24hrs easily. (with about 4 hours total work time)

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:13 am

Also stocked in carbatec nz, they are on Harris road east tamaki. They have a good website.
Cheers
Richard