Neck screws

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

eddydenton
Gidgee

Neck screws

Post by eddydenton » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 am

I'm building a Tele style guitar and I want to bolt on the neck without a plate. I want to use screws that are similar to that of vintage Harmony/Silvertone/Kay guitars that have a wide, flat, countersunk phillips head and in a nice finish either polished chrome or black, and around 2" in length. Also with some ferrules. See the link for an example. Anyone know where I could find these, preferably in Melbourne?

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/121884549895

Just as a general question, where can you find decorative screws of various sizes for pickguard and other visible parts of the guitar? Again preferably in Melbourne?

routout
Blackwood

Re: Neck screws

Post by routout » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:34 pm

I have 4 that are about 38mm to the top of the pan and the countersunk is a hard plastic insert by the time it's flush with the body you will be just under your fret board depending on the heal and body thickness of course. The washer is about 14.5 dia x 4mm deep I have in the past taken the diameter down with a file a little depending on your counter bore dia .
Attachments
screws.jpg
screws.jpg (173.29 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
John ,of way too many things to do.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:04 am

eddydenton wrote:Just as a general question, where can you find decorative screws of various sizes for pickguard and other visible parts of the guitar? Again preferably in Melbourne?
These guys do screws and all sorts of bits you may need for guitarin if you want to order online, don't know about Aussie but in NZ the 'proper' screws (i.e. small mushroom headed Phillips screws) just aren't available from fastener suppliers, standard countersunk or pan heads are available by the bucket load if you want galvanized or stainless but these "exotic" little buggers in black or gold as well as chrome, you can just forget it!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

eddydenton
Gidgee

Post by eddydenton » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks for the replies however both those options I've explored but they're not quite what I'm after. Actually I've got a few parts for my guitar build from realparts including a electronics upgrade kit. The problem with these neck screws which can be easily found on eBay is that they are domed mushroom heads. I'm looking for flat countersunk heads so they sit flush with the back of the guitar. Bellow is a pic of some vintage ones on eBay that is exactly what I'm after.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Easy they are just a flat countersunk ,not a pan or dome or the likes and the washer is easy to make just make a large countersink in some aluminium and a sacrificial cut screw to press in there on the vice bingo cupped washer . :)
John ,of way too many things to do.