Musicians For Forests

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alaska Splty Woods

Musicians For Forests

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 am

As I watch and listen, I have to ask; Does anyone even care?
http://clearcutfreemusic.com/the-issue/
Here is a link to download the brochure in .pdf https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVY ... NVg0WjlVag
Page1.jpg
My statement in support....
Alaska Specialty Woods Inc., has long been concerned with conservation, which to us means wise utilization and management and being the best steward one can be.
The once vast seemingly endless old growth forests of SE Alaska, broken up only by the waterways that separate the the many islands is now a patchwork of dark green, light green and brown, that from a distance looks like a kindergartner's first quilt. In just 70 yrs, The vast stretches of massive old growth Sitka are now replaced with young growth that is managed to be nothing more than framing lumber and wood pulp fiber. Not one sellable soundboard can be produced from a Sitka tree in the Tongass that is under 200 yrs old. Yet the forest is managed on a 95 yr rotation.
We at Alaska Specialty Woods support the efforts of Musicians For Forests, to help bring awareness to this diminishing treasure and extremely under appreciated resource.
Attachments
Page10.jpg
Page9.jpg
Page8.jpg
Page6.jpg
Page4.jpg
Page2.jpg

Alaska Splty Woods

Re: Musicians For Forests

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 am

I converted the pdf pages of the brochure to jpg. for your viewing. But I see I don't know how to load them so they are in the proper numeric page order. Sorry guys.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Thank you for that post. This is a global problem. Australia suffers from this as well. We have lost so much valuable timber in such a short time. The rainforests of the world have been decimated. An current example is the free for all attitude to New Guinea Rosewood at the moment, which will soon become a limited resource as well. -Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:57 am

And also Interesting to note that Yamaha have their own massive slice of Spruce forest all to them selves a hopefully sustainable ,when you look at the amount of instruments of questionable quality with exotic wood on them just going to trash ,their are factories churning out hundreds of thousand each year but the focus is usually directed at the small guy for they are an easy target .
John ,of way too many things to do.