Basic body dimensions for a Selmer?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

slowlearner
Blackwood

Basic body dimensions for a Selmer?

Post by slowlearner » Sat May 21, 2016 9:10 am

Hi guys, looking for the basic body dimensions for a Maccaferri Selmer. Basic width and length of the top is what I need specifically. Everything else is going to be scaled up and adjusted, so not much point in buying plans. Cheers.
Pete

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Re: Basic body dimensions for a Selmer?

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:50 pm

There are several variations among the Selmer Maccaferri style of guitars. The big three as far as afficionados go are the Selmer, the Favino and the Busato. The Busato and the Favino had larger soundboards and produced, usually, a richer bass. The Favinos are often characteristically described as more "nasal" or "honky' in the mid range, and the Busatos described as having a less complex sound in the higher registers- more flute like. Busatos have the reputation of being some of the loudest Gypsy Jazz guitars ever made. Selmer tone is described as richer in harmonic content. From the net somewhere
The Busato has three tonal elements which really make it cut in acoustic settings. 1) It is extremely dry. It has little or no natural wetness (reverb.) This makes the guitar much more focused and is therefore much easier to hear in a loud jam setting. 2) The tone is very pure with very simple overtones. The fundamental pitch of single notes are very strong while the overtones are extremely clean and even. Very flute like in character. A Selmer sounds more complex, but is also somewhat "messier" sounding which dampens projection. 3) It responds to the slightest touch. Just barely strike the strings and you get a lightening fast bolt of sound. I really like this because you don't have to play these guitars hard to be loud.Busatos yield an exceedingly wide frequency response. They have a crisp, bright high end which gives your leads some sparkle and adds ambiance and clarity to rhythm work. There's not much mids, except for a slight upper midrange nasalness. But nothing like a Favino in that regard. Like a Favino, there is far more low end then a Selmer, and it's an incredibly tight, clear low end. Not mushy or ill defined in anyway. The tight low end of a Busato mixed with it's dry character really make it excel for rhythm playing.
Selmer: Length 18 3/8" Upper Bout Lower Bout 11 3/8" 15 3/4" Waist 10 1/8"
Busato: Lower bout width 16 1/4" I don't have any other Busato dimensions.
Favino: Length 18 1/2" Lower Bout 16 1/2" Upper Bout 11 3/4" Waist 101/2" cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Sat May 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Cheers. :)
Pete

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat May 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi Pete
I have plans for two different Selmer Maccaferri models - the Petit Bouche (small oval hole) and the Modele Orchestre (bigger body, large D-shaped soundhole). The plans are published by RF Charle and I got them at his shop in Paris. Anyway - I am not using them at the moment so you are welcome to borrow. We are both in Sydney - PM me a contact number and we can meet up.
cheers
Mark

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Sat May 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi Mark, that would be great. I'll PM you.
Pete

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun May 22, 2016 1:14 pm

If you end up making a Selmer Petite Bouche from the Charle plans,you will find that the neck angle and arching of the first and second braces is not correct and results in a 5mm action at the 12th fret if you want to keep the bridge height and break angle where they should be. If the bridge height is lowered, the guitar's performance is compromised, so the way to correct this is to get the 2 braces radii and the neck angle sorted out before you close the box and glue these braces to the soundboard. I have seen people build these guitars from the plan and end up changing the neck angle and placing a wedge between the fingerboard and the table to keep the fingerboard straight. Far better to sort the neck angle and soundboard out earlier in the build.-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

dsgoen
Gidgee

Post by dsgoen » Tue May 24, 2016 1:36 am

I like the book Building a Selmer Maccaferri Guitar by Michael Collins. It seems fairly complete although I haven't built anything from it.

David

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue May 24, 2016 6:19 am

Ross
Thanks for the tip about the neck angle problem with the Charle plans. I haven't built anything from them yet, but I am glad that I didn't find that out the hard way.
cheers
Mark

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 24, 2016 6:20 am

removed double post :oops:
Last edited by Nick on Tue May 24, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 24, 2016 6:27 am

dsgoen wrote:I like the book Building a Selmer Maccaferri Guitar by Michael Collins. It seems fairly complete although I haven't built anything from it.

David
It's missing a couple of 'lesser' dimensions (soundhole centre is one I can think of) but other than that and with a bit of working out those dimensions, it's a great reference for building a Selmer Mac, couldn't have built my first one without it. The DVD set is well worth it too if you plan on building more than one. The book is great and you can build a good copy of the original from it but being very much a 3D shaped guitar, it's a little hard to visualize some of the steps in the text unless you've actually had a Selmer or Maccaferri in your hands before. The DVD's fill in the blanks and make it easy if your an idiot like me basically :wink: .
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Further to the info I provided on Selmer type guitars, here are some Busato dimensions
Attachments
Untitled 1.doc
(11 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
REFERENCE Busato.doc
(47.5 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
REFERENCE Busato Favino De Mauro.doc
(82.5 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
CIMG3576-copie.jpg
busato-pour-canada.jpg

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Thu May 26, 2016 2:26 pm

Ah ya champion blackalex. Thanks heaps. Mark, I'll text you soon and borrow those plans. I've won't be building a strict copy, so those neck issues won't effect me in the slightest. :)
Pete

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Just to clarify your reason for posting this topic, is this information for your idea of an acoustic bass?

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Fri May 27, 2016 10:41 am

Yes, not strictly acoustic, but yes.
Pete

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:14 pm

I thought that was where you were heading. So are you wanting to try to build an electric bass with an acoustic flavour to its sound? Airy without the initial long sustain and attack on the notes?

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 pm

Yeah, that's the idea. I've built a number of highly chambered electrics thus far. I'm just taking that to it's logical conclusion I guess.
Pete