Sprayers in Australia and NZ

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

Sprayers in Australia and NZ

Post by nkforster » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm

In the UK there are a few small firms who spray the work of lots of makers, and it works well, we get a professional job done, less hassle, and get to make more instruments, and someone else gets to make a living. I'm not sure if this is the case in Germany, where I am now, but it is the case just a couple of hours away in the Czech Republic - same thing, a couple of fellers who spray for everyone. So, my question is, are there any firms doing something similar in Australia or New Zealand?

nigel

Ormsby Guitars

Re: Sprayers in Australia and NZ

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:06 pm

I don't know of any that spray for luthiers. We are looking into it as a service to offset the investment and time savings for our uv setup that is coming later this year.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:16 pm

I have been asked and declined.

Perry - Did you go the automated cabinet system.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Not yet but I've used one in our Korean factory. It's great. 25 minutes from raw wood, to sealer X 2, to 2x clear, to buffed.

Obviously a guitar would take longer, but...

$60-80k is a big investment but figure it will pay for itself over two years at our current handmade rate, plus we can increase production as finishing is a huge bottleneck for us.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Have been using UV for a while now.

Definitely a great finishing product

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:50 am

The number of people building guitars in New Zealand isn't enough for somebody to rely on offering this service as a full time income (remember the total population of NZ is only 4 million, about the same as Scotland but over a land area bigger than the UK). And the way the majority of Kiwi's drive, even if they were good enough, automotive sprayers are too busy fixing cars to offer this as a sideline service.
So each instrument has to be finished by it's builder basically.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:26 am

It sounds like Perry is in the same thought as I am although a few steps ahead as he's already spraying UV with the hobby setup

Now that my CNC is ticked off the "to do" list (apart from sorting out vacuum) I've been considering looking into UV paint setup again, however it appears my latest investment, the new workshop is going to blow way out of budget.

I'd originally allocated 60k, which fattened out to 70 pretty quick and it's already blowing out well over 80k with additional expenses, so by the time I'm in there and add extra power points and a few other things I'll probably be up close or over 90k, so the UV is on the back burner once again. Costs have grown exponentially since the last time it's a shed built.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 am

Nah we aren't using uv yet. Trialled it on one custom and it was ok. Used it on three course guitars and was a disaster. Used it again on a custom and ended up stripping it (We refinished it later with our usual stuff). But yeah it was the hobby stuff people are raving about. Which apparently, according to the Internet, we are ordering by the pallet load :/

The pro stuff is good though. Supply is an issue at the moment as no one brings it into Australia commercially.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:18 am

Spot on the money perry.

Mine is all ordered in ex America and shipped hazardous. Not nice price wise.

Its like every other paint medium, there is a learning process involved.

The finish results are exceptional, but you cannot cut any steps otherwise it just dont stick.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:19 am

Is the UV grounded with a saline solution not taken too much notice I see Maton went to Taylor to get some hints a while back on the UV.
John ,of way too many things to do.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:Nah we aren't using uv yet. Trialled it on one custom and it was ok. Used it on three course guitars and was a disaster.
I was just going off what you said when I ran into you in Melbourne, however that must've been a short moment in time that you were using it, then moved on from it.

These things happen. I change things often, if you ask one day you'll get that day's answer, ask the next ...

RobDyball
Myrtle

Post by RobDyball » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:35 pm

I've also been wondering about sprayers - Martin Taylor knows someone up the Central Coast who does ridiculously beautiful nitro jobs.
I need a black neck done on a Stauffer copy.. was thinking of taking it to an auto spray place.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:59 pm

demonx wrote:
Ormsby Guitars wrote:Nah we aren't using uv yet. Trialled it on one custom and it was ok. Used it on three course guitars and was a disaster.
I was just going off what you said when I ran into you in Melbourne, however that must've been a short moment in time that you were using it, then moved on from it.

These things happen. I change things often, if you ask one day you'll get that day's answer, ask the next ...
Yep, that would have been exactly when we had awesome results from the first full actual real trial. That was one of the guitars that made it on to Shark Tank (that's how long ago they filmed). We needed a gloss clear in a day, and it provided that. As soon as we had way more time, and no rush, it didnt work :evil:

An issue we had was tiny air bubbles. Ok, so heating the clear made it more viscous, and solved that. But it dries in the gun too quickly now. The biggest issue is not curing it FAST enough. There is a window of time where things are safe, then oxygen reacts with the top layer, and it never dries hard. Underneath that layer is fine, but you have to get to it. Its like hard rubber. Instant sandpaper killer.

The new stuff we were introduced to by the Korean factory is the same stuff PRS uses. Amazing. Much easier to use. Much more difficult to get here. Im sure within 12 months it will be commercially available easily, hopefully. But, we need that damn booth first.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Perry,,

I use the same product PRS uses and it's good stuff.

Taylor, who in my opinion are the leaders in the field of this stuff, have moved on a little while back to another supplier and apparently the advantage of there new stuff is that any not quite cured paint from the UV process will apparently catalyse or cure at low uv exposure, not to sure on the exacts.

When you get the new booth in, will come down for a beer if that's right by you to check t out

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,