best glue for nut?¿?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

best glue for nut?¿?

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi all I have an electric bass guitar the nut is loose and I am wanting to know what would be some good glue to use. Assume it's a plastic one as cheap bass.
I have some thin superglue, pva, Selleys All Fix (multipurpose glue). The nut looks a bit munched so not sure if I should get a new one fitted.
This is an old samick Baby bass nothing flash.
ImageImage
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: best glue for nut?¿?

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:35 pm

I don't generally glue my nuts in as they are always a tight fit. If you do need to glue a nut then just a tiny dab of CA (super) glue is all you need.

If it was my axe I'd make up a new better fitting bone nut. Not a hard job with basic tools....
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:46 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I don't generally glue my nuts in as they are always a tight fit. If you do need to glue a nut then just a tiny dab of CA (super) glue is all you need.

If it was my axe I'd make up a new better fitting bone nut. Not a hard job with basic tools....
Thanks but this nut will need gluing as there is no other way it will stay in place. It's an open ended slot not a fixed slot. So needs a way to secure it in place.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Double post can't delete this.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:56 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:I don't generally glue my nuts in as they are always a tight fit. If you do need to glue a nut then just a tiny dab of CA (super) glue is all you need.

Thanks but this nut will need gluing as there is no other way it will stay in place. It's an open ended slot not a fixed slot. So needs a way to secure it in place.
Is the nut loose even when strings are tensioned up? Is it butting up against the end of the fretboard? If glue is needed to keep the thing in place under string tension then it's not a great design. Can you put up a close up pic of the nut?
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:07 pm

As said above, just a dab of superglue, but only use the tiniest amount as it'll squeeze out if you put too much in.

I usually put two tiny drops, one either side of the truss rod and about the size of a pin head is all you need

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:49 pm

And in most cases it is preferable to just glue the nut to the end of the fretboard. That way it is easy to remove with a tap, without pulling up fibres from the underside,