African Mahogany

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

African Mahogany

Post by rocket » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Just asking for opinions here,, i had an email contact me to say a plantation of African mahogany grown in northern Aust, was being put on the market and offering to furniture and instrument builders, really the only mahogany i've dealt with is the Fijian, is it the same stuff, similar? is it sought after by luthiers? how is it priced compared to Fijian? Should i chase it up and see what comes out of it?
Opinions would be a great help here..

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: African Mahogany

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:22 pm

https://dpir.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... 07-107.pdf

According to the above document Gerard Gilet was sent some samples for assessment for use in instrument making.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:29 am

I got some boards from AFT before they shut a few years ago, I've used it on a couple of necks so far and found it quite good.
Wayne

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 am

African mahogany is of the genus Khaya , the species are likely K senagalensis or K sylvestris .
It's of the family Meliaceae which includes the true Swietenia mahoganies , that is to say , they are fairly closely related .
As I recall they can be differentiated by Khaya generally lacking storied cells and terminal parenchyma .
I've processed a fair bit of northern plantation grown material which was of good character and colour though quarters wide enough for backs were hard to find in the stock I was running through .
Thanks
Pete

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:03 am

I've used a lot of African Mahogany in electrics. I like it.

I find it is closer to true Brazilian Mahogany than what Fiji Mahogany is, which sounds insane since Fiji is the same species as Brazilian and African is completely different

The Fiji Mahogany that I've worked with I have found to be much different to true Brazilian, way lighter in weight, softer, doesn't machine as nicely as it seems to get stringy. Very bright sounding. I'm guessing it's something to do with the way it's grown.

This is based on my experiences with the three timbers.

I'd be interested to know how the Australian grown compares and where it'd be available for sale. I might be interested in a cube if the price and dimensions are right for me.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:33 am

In 2 builds currently on the bench i've used what was sold to me as: "Australian Plantation Mahogany" for the necks. Seems pretty good, stiff, light (i didnt weigh it, but lighter then my QLD maple or honduras neck blanks), straight, carves and works easy.

I bought it from Trend Timbers in sydney in a large post ~ 150 x 150 x 1.8m. Cut it up into neck blanks - got 18 quartered necks from it and heaps of heel blocks, tail blocks, and linnings, left the necks sitting in my shed for ~12months to see if they would move, they didnt move the slightest.

As to price, one of the pieces still has the price of the post on it, $130, so works out at $7/neck (with heaps of free tail blocks and kerfing). :lol:

Cant comment on how close to Fijian - never used it.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm

I thought I would follow up on this thread as I looked into these plantations and have placed my first order.

The genus is Khaya Senegalensis.

Minimum order is 2 cubic meters, which will make it unrealistic to most people on the forum.

The Mahogany is available in quarter or back sawn and is air dried to 12-15%. So even if you buy the minimum two cubes you will have to still store it for quite some time before it is usable, or have access to a kiln.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Is that a 6k purchase
The guy won't return my emails possibly because I said I only wanted less than a quarter of a cube.

www.octiganguitars.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:53 pm

rocket wrote:Is that a 6k purchase
The guy won't return my emails as I said I only wanted less than a quarter of a cube, rude prick.
The minimum two cube purchase is actually closer to (or exactly) $6490.00, as you have to include tax.

If you're only wanting small amounts that would be why he's not responding, I'm sure though he must have redirected you to a retailer instead of him the wholesaler? I have found the communication to be pretty good.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 pm

He contacted me to see if I was interested in his product, was all keen when I showed interest but when I indicated the quantity he simply stopped answering my mail , no explanation at all . He never mentioned any minimum purchase, just as he 3k a cube as a rate

www.octiganguitars.com

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 pm

i've used both and they are similar. in the boards ive had the fiji tends to have more swirly grain and the african a bit denser with ribbon patterning.. I have used the African for a few necks with excellent results

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Anyone interested in a group buy?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Steve.T wrote:Anyone interested in a group buy?
Yes, but some lucky sod has to put their hand up to buy the 2 cubes, gather payments from members and then pack and distribute the orders. :mrgreen:
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Yes, but some lucky sod has to put their hand up to buy the 2 cubes, gather payments from members and then pack and distribute the orders. :mrgreen:
Are people (forum members) interested in paying a fee for this sort of distribution to make this worth someone's worthwhile?
Trent

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 pm

I might owe somebody an apology in their absence from here!!
I had an email today apologising for the delay due to Xmas break can i send my delivery address for a sample of the product for my perusal, WIBFed,,

Cheerfully
Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:29 pm

lamanoditrento wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:
Are people (forum members) interested in paying a fee for this sort of distribution to make this worth someone's worthwhile?
Probably worth paying a bit extra to one of our suppliers to move some of the wood. Tim might be interested...
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Surprise surprise, the free sample turned up today, although I haven't established the moisture content it seems pretty dry, much heavier than Figian.
Fairly quartered and clean, no blemishes so think I'll go ahead and order a few billets it will make some nice back and side sets and necks.
Check out the pics.

Cheers

Rod.
Attachments
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG

www.octiganguitars.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 pm

rocket wrote: I haven't established the moisture content it seems pretty dry
I was told 12-15% moisture is what they deliver at, so even though it may feel dry, it probably isn't usable for guitar purposes.

I wonder if it's cut from the same trees as mine, as I received an email today that my order is ready and should be trucked next week.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:54 pm

demonx wrote:
rocket wrote: I haven't established the moisture content it seems pretty dry
I was told 12-15% moisture is what they deliver at, so even though it may feel dry, it probably isn't usable for guitar purposes.

I wonder if it's cut from the same trees as mine, as I received an email today that my order is ready and should be trucked next week.
???? if its not suitable for guitar purposes then why are we buying truck loads of the stuff??

www.octiganguitars.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 pm

I buy a lot of green or partially dried timber and then store until it is ready to use.

At 15% and without "handling" it, I'd say one or two years of slow steady drying in storage and it'll be right to use.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Yep that's normal if you're buying ex mill timber, this stuff isn't being promoted as ready to use guitar sets but as recently milled timber that may be suitable for instrument making, the customer, and in this case luthier will need to assess moisture content, resaw billets to desired sizes and sticker for whatever period necessary prior to putting to use.

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 pm

This has me intrigued as I phoned the Douglas Daly plantation (about a year ago) and they reckon they are about ten years off harvest. Apparently they got all there stock from the trials that were done here at Fog Dam and I have been to the trial plot (Primary Industries funded) and ten years sounds about right. So I am wondering where this wood you have been buying comes from, I wonder if it is from the original mixed species experimental plantations up here. If anyone can tell me the source that would that would help solve my mystery.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:26 am

I have bought single boards of this from Brittons in Dandenong. Found it be excellent for necks.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Just ordered four billets, due in about six weeks..

Cheers

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:13 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:This has me intrigued as I phoned the Douglas Daly plantation (about a year ago) and they reckon they are about ten years off harvest. Apparently they got all there stock from the trials that were done here at Fog Dam and I have been to the trial plot (Primary Industries funded) and ten years sounds about right. So I am wondering where this wood you have been buying comes from, I wonder if it is from the original mixed species experimental plantations up here. If anyone can tell me the source that would that would help solve my mystery.
I know it's milled in Darwin!!

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com