The responsive guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

TallDad71
Blackwood

The responsive guitar

Post by TallDad71 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:41 pm

The bought Ervin Somogyi's book $200, A4 sized, 360 pages and nearly all text.

I will post reviews as I go through it. First impressions is that my head is going to explode with all that expertise and information.
IMG_8367.JPG
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: The responsive guitar

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Once your head has exploded reading Ervin's book.....you can put your head back together again reading Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet's books http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... rview.html :mrgreen:
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 am

Most of us luthiers use tough hide glue to put our heads back together after reading these kind of books. Thoroughly recommend the Gore/Gilet books, having spent a lot of money on different luthier books over the years...after all the expense concrete is good for cementing the credit card into a large block and dropping it into the ocean...the only books that have seriously helped me with understanding the science are the Gore/Gilet ones. Most of the others have something to offer but those Aussie books and some great mentoring from others and, of course, THIS FORUM are the best. Cheers Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Once I have finished with Somogyi, which is looking great by the way, I will most likely try out your recommendations.

I can't easily find a copy of the book in the UK at the moment.

The loonies have taken over the asylum here so our money is as useful as ballast as it is for importing from abroad. May wait six months to see if it improves.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Francis
Myrtle

Post by Francis » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Gore/Gilet for me too - Trevor will send to the UK from Aus without any trouble. Had mine a couple of months now, my other books will soon be for the car boot sales...

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:53 am

My recommendation having bought most books I could get my hands on is to immediately put your copy of "The Response Guitar" on ebay and buy "Contemporary Acoustic Guitar Design"
Trent

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:20 pm

So wonderful for Trevor and Gerard to have their book held in such high regard by luthiers! :cl -Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"