Stiffening spruce with UVA

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Stiffening spruce with UVA

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:55 pm

In NK Forstners's "the luthiers blog ebook" there is mention of spruce being stiffed with exposure to ultra violet light:

"Years ago I read an article in The Strad that said UVA stiffens spruce (the samples were around 2mm thick) by 10%. If they are 10% stiffer, you can make 'em thinner. Spanish makers hang their work in the sun to get a tan."

I haven't been able to find the Strad article referred to and my googling hasn't found any other reference to this idea.

Anyone have any ideas about the veracity or any other info about this at all?
Trent

simso
Blackwood

Re: Stiffening spruce with UVA

Post by simso » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:06 pm

If I get a chance I can test it out for you, I have high intensity uv lights here, suntan on your skin in around 6 seconds, red skin in around 30 seconds.

I also have low UV lights and specific spectrum uv lights, like 365nm.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 pm

I've heard that propping your top wood in front of a copy of Penthouse open at the centrefold page gets the wood really stiff :mrgreen:
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I have high intensity uv lights here, suntan on your skin in around 6 seconds, red skin in around 30 seconds.
I also have low UV lights and specific spectrum uv lights, like 365nm.
...like, what are you smokin' man? :mrgreen:
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Actually, all jokes aside, I'm very interested in UV tests if you want to and have time. I am also interested in any comments from people who have tried torrefied wood. There is a respectable Aussie supplier investigating the possibility of setting up a torrefaction kiln here. An expensive process using inert gasses and serious control of the humidity and temperature, along with the expense of "cracking the code" without cracking too much material, I believe.-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:26 pm

There was a TV program many years ago on Australian violin makers, on ABC or SBS, and I seem to recall Harry Vatillioso hanging either the top or back plates on his washing line.
I think the program was called "The Box That Sings", about 15 years go. I think?
I don't recall the purpose of the hanging but perhaps its related to stiffening?
Ken

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:..like, what are you smokin' man? :mrgreen:
Many years ago, I use to inspect and certify aircraft for defects, non destructive testing.

One of the methods of inspection was the use of fluorescent dyes for finding cracks that fluores under specific lighting conditions. Still have all my equipment from those days.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:13 am

Many years ago, I use to inspect and certify aircraft for defects, non destructive testing.
One of the methods of inspection was the use of fluorescent dyes for finding cracks that fluores under specific lighting conditions. Still have all my equipment from those days.
I know you are a busy man, but as I said, it might be a great experiment. Perhaps if it actually showed some tangible results, it would be akin to torrefaction at a fraction of the cost. There are probably some test results of this kind of treatment somewhere, an interesting question.

Bachiano
Gidgee

Post by Bachiano » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:32 am

Here is a pic of Marcelino Lopez Nieto's workshop with tops hanging under a skylight.

Last year I saw one of his guitars ( spruce top ) it was brand new and I could not believe it.
The patina on the top looked like it was at least 50 years old.

Now whether this stiffens the top is a different question.

Credit for photo goes to Orfeo Magazine #3 Pg.55
https://issuu.com/orfeomagazine/docs/orfeo_3_en
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 8.02.15 AM copy.png

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 am

Violin maple back.JPG
Violin spruce top.JPG
Violin back tanned untanned contrast.JPG
A couple of pictures of a violin I made a some years ago. I hung it out in the Hobart sun for a few days, purely to get some colour. The last picture shows the contrast between the tanned back and an untanned offcut from the same piece of maple. Quite a difference after only a few hours in the sun. This is commonly done by violin makers, largely to provide a more golden ground for the varnish. Whether it improves the sound of the violin is debateable, but it certainly appears to do it no harm.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"