Latest Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

dpo
Beefwood

Latest Build

Post by dpo » Tue May 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Southern Cross open back banjo Uke Tenor scale.
The neck is Heart Rimu with a Kahikatea and Purple Heart stripe.
The body is a block construction using Kahikatea with a feature ring of Purple Heart, ninety-six blocks in all.
Fretboard Purple Heart with Kahikatea position markers, Gotoh planetary geared tuners.
Attachments
TB5.jpg
TB4.jpg
TB3.jpg
TB2.jpg
TB1.jpg
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.

Kind Regards
Dennis

Southern Cross banjo Ukes
New Zealand

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Latest Build

Post by Mark McLean » Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 am

That looks great Dennis. I have never been too fond of Purple Heart before, but there is something about the "out there" brassiness of a banjo that makes purple wood seem appropriate. The whole design comes together very well. And your building is obviously very good.

I have never heard of kahikatea. What can you tell us about it?
Cheers
Mark

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Wed May 10, 2017 9:05 am

Kahikatea
also called New Zealamd white pine

New Zealands tallest tree at 60 meters and around 2.5meters at the base. A straight even grained softwood with a white sapwood and pale yellow heartwood. Prone to borer after milling. Easy to work and bend. It used in boat building. Also good for cutting boards and general kitchenware as it has very little smell and won't taint food.
Quite common and a realitively cheap timher.
Not recommended for instrument building because of its suseptibility to borer attack.

I've used it as a violin soundboard with quite pleasing tone and looks. While not up there with sika i'd use it again. Helps to keep costs down while I learn the trade!
and as long as you keep playing it the borer won't settle in it :D

dpo
Beefwood

Post by dpo » Thu May 11, 2017 6:57 am

Mark McLean wrote:That looks great Dennis. I have never been too fond of Purple Heart before, but there is something about the "out there" brassiness of a banjo that makes purple wood seem appropriate. The whole design comes together very well. And your building is obviously very good.

Hi Mark,
Yes I think the solid body build of banjos, banjo ukes suits woods that may suit guitars, ukes etc. I love Purple heart as you can see :D . Makes great fretboards.

I have never heard of kahikatea. What can you tell us about it?
Cheers
Mark
Someone has quoted Wikipedia on the Kaihikatea so no need to eleborate other than borer likes all NZ timber, Rimu, Kauri etc, so I don't concern myself with it, I just don't allow borer on the property. :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.

Kind Regards
Dennis

Southern Cross banjo Ukes
New Zealand