router bit for neck shaping

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Fisherman
Blackwood

router bit for neck shaping

Post by Fisherman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi guys - Which router bit do you use for routing your necks into a c or d profile? I'm keen to avoid buying the wrong one!

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: router bit for neck shaping

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Fisherman wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:00 pm
Hi guys - Which router bit do you use for routing your necks into a c or d profile? I'm keen to avoid buying the wrong one!
This mob make them...https://sje-tools.com/13-neck-profile-router-bits

One of these bits would make the job a bit quicker but to be really honest neck shaping by hand is one of my favourite parts of a build.....I put some music on...get the whole Zen thing going and I'm at peace with myself.........until I break through into the truss rod channel :?
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:44 pm

I just do it by hand,, [ i build guitars and mando's by hand] using rasps, files, scrapers, spokeshaves, and sandpaper, this way i can shape the neck to the contour that i want, a neck changes in shape from nut to heel so i don't see how one router bit can do the job?

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks guys. I'm still trying to work out what works best for me. I used to use only hand tools, now I'm becoming a fan of power tools and machines. I was thinking the repeatability of the router bit would be a good thing. I'll give it a go anyway.

Although now that you both mention you still do your necks with hand tools, maybe i'd enjoy the job more if i updated my cheapo $10 spokeshave for a good one...

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:23 pm

I have a large radius roundover bit for classical guitars with a wooden jig, that lets the operator ride the router on the jig while the guitar neck is firmly clamped to it. These days I prefer to hand shape the uke necks I am building.I have more control over the final shape. The monotony of the same boring repeatable resulting shapes from machines does not appeal to me . Something is lost when carving with machines. Furthermore our hands are not symmetrical and a perfectly shaped neck blank is not always appropriate or desirable,. I am using multiple simple tools . There is a seller sexy boutique selling wonderful rasps for $ 10 us on evil bay , also another one selling crude but useful wood spokeshaves for 4$ us . It/s large about 10 in . long and needs honing and sharpening. But with careful use can hog off a lot of wood or thin shavings. he(seller) is also on e bay. These prices include shipping to the usa. G/day from ernie in the usa. PS I am also using a sharp kitchen type grater for initial neck shaping. purchased on amazon or e bay

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:53 am

I use the Dragon rasps from StewMac. Both the coarse and fine, and occasionally a card scraper. Great rasps for the money and gives you far more control of the job than a one size fits all router bit.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:31 am

Allen wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:53 am
I use the Dragon rasps from StewMac. Both the coarse and fine, and occasionally a card scraper. Great rasps for the money and gives you far more control of the job than a one size fits all router bit.
+1 for the Dragon rasps. Auriou also make some nice hand made rasps.
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:53 am

Yep - Dragon rasps, Veritas spokeshave and a fine round Microplane (got the last two from Carba-tec) and it is just a pleasure to do it by hand

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:15 pm

I enjoy doing mine by hand.

A note however, when I use my cnc machine to make neck profiles, the profile at the nut never matches the profile at the heel, it would be interesting to feel a neck that has been made with a single router profile over its entire length.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Ok - I'm going to skip the router bit for now and invest in upgrading my hand tools. Thanks for the dragon rasps advice... I didnt know about them but will give stewmac some business ;)

Mark - is it just the flat veritas spokeshave / do you ever use the round bottom one?