Titebond

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Titebond

Post by 56nortondomy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Not sure where you guys get your titebond from, I used to get mine from Masters, but now they've closed that's put an end to that. I just bought a bottle off ebay with postage about $19 for the medium bottle, anyway I had a thought and sent Bunnings an email and asked them if they'd consider stocking it, I just got a reply and they're going to get the buying team to look into it. Not sure if anything will come of it, but I thought it was worth a try. Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Titebond

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:59 pm

56nortondomy wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:41 pm
Not sure where you guys get your titebond from, I used to get mine from Masters, but now they've closed that's put an end to that. I just bought a bottle off ebay with postage about $19 for the medium bottle, anyway I had a thought and sent Bunnings an email and asked them if they'd consider stocking it, I just got a reply and they're going to get the buying team to look into it. Not sure if anything will come of it, but I thought it was worth a try. Wayne
I get mine from Carbatec here in Adelaide. It might not be s cheap as Ebay but it gives me an excuse to buy other sh*t while Im down at Carbatec.
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Carbatec in perth as well.

Remember titebond has an open shelf life as well.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Hank
Myrtle

Post by Hank » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Carbatec in melb have got it, so do Nover, but both are on the East side of the city, as martin said carbatec is usually worth a look.
It's a day trip! and you swing past my place for a covefefe
Without deviation progress is not possible.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:05 pm

I buy my Titebond from Carbetec in Brisbane.
It is a little dearer and costs $18 post to get it here but I think they sell a lot of glue so there is a small chance it is reasonably fresh.
The last bottle a mate bought there for me cost $10 and saved post to Townsville.
Cheap really as I only use one bottle a year.
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:21 pm

I checked out carbatec before I bought from ebay but it was dearer. It'd be about a 3 to 4 hour round trip to drive over there from here, I'd rather pay postage and save the time. Masters was only 5 minutes from here so it was real handy and there's a Bunnings not much further, I was just hoping they might start stocking it. Wayne

hillbillybass
Sassafras

Post by hillbillybass » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:18 pm

I get mine from Carbatec in Melbourne when I go there once or twice a year to buy up other supplies I need such as hide glue or tools, blades, etc. There are probably cheaper places, but I love looking around Carbatec and I like to shop in one place. It would be fantastic if I could buy it from Bunnings, as there's one not far from me. :D

Blackstar1099
Beefwood

Post by Blackstar1099 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:34 am

56nortondomy wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:21 pm
I checked out carbatec before I bought from ebay but it was dearer. It'd be about a 3 to 4 hour round trip to drive over there from here, I'd rather pay postage and save the time. Masters was only 5 minutes from here so it was real handy and there's a Bunnings not much further, I was just hoping they might start stocking it. Wayne
Hi Wayne.

Timbecon stock it and they're in Reservoir if that makes it easier.
https://www.timbecon.com.au/

hepikohetaniwha
Kauri

Post by hepikohetaniwha » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:31 am

Whelan's Wreckers (part of Delta group) stock it, in Port Melbourne (not far from west gate bridge)

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:43 pm

The Whelan group would be the closest for me, I was going to go there last week but decided to just buy it on line so I didn't have to suffer the traffic on the Westgate. Urban salvage in Spotswood sell it but only the 11 and 111 not the original. Thanks everyone for the replies. Wayne

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi Guys ,

Here is a page full to choose from.

http://www.wilbrad.com.au/shop/shop?cid ... -Adhesives

Rob

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:54 pm

I only buy mine in store now where i can check the SN for the manufacture date. Had way too many experiences getting 3yr+ old glue from ebay. Once got a bottle that was 6yrs old. :(

Carbatec or Trend timbers depending which one im near at the time. Mostly its still a hassle getting even remotely fresh stuff from these guys as well.
Carbatec sydney its usually a case of asking to get a bottle from out the back to get anything under 18months old.

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Another supplier for Melbournites is Sandpaper Plus in Fairfield. They also stock West System products.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Have you tried fish glue, I Ike it a lot, more working time than hide glue, cleans up with water?

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:09 pm

simso wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:52 pm
Have you tried fish glue, I Ike it a lot, more working time than hide glue, cleans up with water?

Steve
Tried it but the ferkin' cat got into the workshop one night and ate three guitars... :shock:
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Dad jokes, so bad.... :D
Steve
Master of nothing,

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:50 pm

There is an exclusive distributor in Australia for Titebond.

Hence, all stock comes from them irrespective of where you buy it. It's age therefore depends on the volume kept at the store local to you, turn over of said stock and ultimately when the exclusive supplier replenishes.

The only exception to this I am aware of was Masters, who were supplied directly due to contracts in place in USA with their parent company that allowed it to occur.

Just FYI.

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:58 am

You are correct mr JF ,many years ago i used to buy it direct from Nathaniel Chittem .May have spelt name wrong :) before it was well known whoever has it now took the rites off him to sell it he used to get it in large containers ,I just keep the air gap low all good .
John ,of way too many things to do.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 am

I wish Titebond would re design the nozzle on the bottle. If it sealed better, glue wouldn't dry inside the nozzle and it wouldn't skin on the outside. Also, pull the nozzle apart enough times to clean it up or accidentally let a large bottle fall off the bench and the join with the top fails. I sometimes use one of those tomato sauce bottles with the twist seal top as a glue bottle. (The ones that you can use to inject sauce into a pie. They seem to work better without clogging as easily.) Come to think of it, the Loctite superglue nozzle can be a drama also...
Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:53 am

Does anybody know of a source of dry fish glue rather than pre made bottled stuff?-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 am
I wish Titebond would re design the nozzle on the bottle. If it sealed better, glue wouldn't dry inside the nozzle and it wouldn't skin on the outside. Also, pull the nozzle apart enough times to clean it up or accidentally let a large bottle fall off the bench and the join with the top fails. I sometimes use one of those tomato sauce bottles with the twist seal top as a glue bottle. (The ones that you can use to inject sauce into a pie. They seem to work better without clogging as easily.) Come to think of it, the Loctite superglue nozzle can be a drama also...
Ross
Agree with you on the Titebond nozzle. What I do now is have a couple of tomato sauce bottle nozzles that I screw onto the Titebond bottle when I use it. Once I'm finished doing a glue up I chuck the tomato sauce nozzle into the bowl of warm clean up water and stick the normal titebond nozzle on the bottle.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Brilliant as usual, Martin!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:41 pm
Brilliant as usual, Martin!
LOL..not that brilliant :D
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:10 pm

simso wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Steve
I use fish glue on select joints - eg glueing the sides to top (upside down solera construction), for fan braces, & also for frets.
Fish glue drys harder then titebond, but is more susceptible to high humidity causing it to let go.
I love it for the high tack and long working time.
There's mixed reviews on fish glue among various forum - with a lot saying they've had joint failure. I'm (yet) to experience any failure with it. I suspect most the failures are from guitars stored in high humidity.
blackalex1952 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 am
I wish Titebond would re design the nozzle on the bottle. If it sealed better, glue wouldn't dry inside the nozzle and it wouldn't skin on the outside.
I find that when finished using it, leave the nozzle open and bang the bottle on the bench a few times. The glue in the nozzle will either come out the top or go back down into the bottle.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:22 pm

bang the bottle on the bench a few times. The glue in the nozzle will either come out the top or go back down into the bottle.
Also brilliant!-R