I'm retiring

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

I'm retiring

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm retiring from luthiery on July 12th. Why July 12th? Well, the property on which my workshop resides has been sold and the new owners are moving in on that day. The strength in my hands has also deteriorated to the point where I feel it's dangerous to be around sharp things that rotate at 10,000 RPM and I'm going to beat a strategic retreat while I've still got 10 digits.

I'm selling all of my wood and a variety of jigs and gadgets (some never used) that I bought from Stewmac over the years so some of these will appear in Buy, Swap and Sell in the coming weeks and months as I sort things out.

We are also moving the forum software to a hosted provider so it'll no longer be running from a computer that lives next to my desk. Jeremy D has joined the team and is currently looking at some alternatives. He's a software developer and not only knows how administrate the forum software but writes code in PHP as well.

I'd like to thank all of the people who assisted with running the forum since its inception in 2007 and also all of the members who have been so generous with their knowledge and advice. It certainly has become a considerable and valuable repository of all things pertaining to luthiery.

I have started a business in Tasmania distilling whisky with a mate who I played in a band with for many years so that'll keep me occupied with something that is a little less physically demanding than building musical instruments.

I still intend to be a member of the forum and look forward to seeing what everyone is building. I'll just take a less active role in administering it.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

rocket
Blackwood

Re: I'm retiring

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Let me just say thanks Bob for your efforts over the years, a lot of people are much better off because of this forum.
Although I'm not a whisky man, you can put me down for one of the first bottling.

Cheers mate

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Awesome work to you bob , it's a great legacy you've created .
I usually just retire with a whisky , you're retiring to make the stuff !
All the best with what comes next , sounds like a mighty fine plan to me .
Pete

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:44 pm

This forum has been a big inspiration to me and would also like to say thanks.

You have done a fantastic job, there is no place on the internet that I know of that has such a genuine community of like minded people.

I wish you all the best with your new endeavors.
Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm

All the best and good luck in your new life, sounds pretty bloody good to be honest.

Col

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Hey Bob, I'm sorry to hear it.

Both because you are hanging up the tools and there'll be no more C&M Mando's in production, but also being forced to by circumstance somewhat. That said, 10 years is a very decent innings for all your work here with your team to make this place what it is. Personally, I'd just like to say thank-you :cl

I was not there from the very start, but have been around long enough to really appreciate the community you've provided here and learnt a thing or ten along the way. I'm glad to hear it is not the end of the forum, nor your participation - at least to some extent.

It also sounds like you are making the most of the decision and I wish you the best of luck with that.

Cheers Bob. :gui

Jeremy.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:44 pm

I will be forever grateful for your efforts Bob. Yes, we all get old, I myself have serious health issues, but for me luthierie is something I'll do until I physically can't. Good luck with the new venture. I'll get in first and say the obvious... just don't drink the profits!!! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Bob, I am with everyone here and offer a hearty thanks for all that you have done to create and maintain ANZLF. It is a really remarkable online community and it has enriched my life enormously. I know many other members and lurkers feel the same. I hope the whisky venture goes well, and that we still see your bonce pop up here on a regular basis. Cheers.
Mark M

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Although I am a small time contributor, I wish you all the best for your whiskey business and thank you for providing such a world class forum.
This forum and its contributors have provided untold knowledge and shared immense knowledge amongst members. Bravo!
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks for everything Bob. I hope everything turns out as good or better than you want. Sad to see you hang up the tools, take care. Many thanks Wayne

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:11 am

Bob, thanks for making this happen so well for so long. Wishing you all the best in "retirement". Don't drink the profits! (Well, not all of them!)

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 am

Happy retirement and good luck in your new endeavors. Don't drink too much of your profits. I am really happy that I found this forum so thanks for the time you put into it.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:46 am

Moving from the somewhat rare field of luthier, to the very rare one of Whiskey maker......that's so cool. Wish you all the best in the new venture Bob. And be sure to let us know when the new drop is available to purchase. I do love a good Whiskey.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 am

All the best Bob in your new venture. Sorry to hear of your troubles with your hands, but we all get old eventually. Had a recent scare myself, but that seems to be working out ok, and I intend to keep going until I can't physically do it any more. This forum has been a great help when I started making guitars, so a great thanks for hosting this forum.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks for everything Bob. As a newish member and new to luthiery I have found this forum and the knowledge base it contains invaluable and a regular part of my day
Trent

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:03 am

Bob,

Sorry to hear about the physical issues that were part of your decision to retire, but you're very intelligent and I'm sure you have thought this over carefully, and evidently it must be time.

Besides providing the platform and the forum nuts-and-bolts, you've always given freely of your expertise, and established this forum as (by far) one of the best forums going, with some of the best luthiers in the world participating. It has also been a place of friendship, friendliness, encouragement, with camaraderie and lots of laughter. Thanks for all you've given to the field of lutherie, and to all of us members. Onya, mate!

-Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:09 am

Bob

Thank you for all your time and effort in hosting this forum. The forum has been a great inspiration
and valuable source of information to me. All the best in your new venture.
Bruce Mc.

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Like everyone else already said, thanks for this little bit of the world you have helped to build, Bob! I'm a daily visitor to the site...it is essential reading and I learn something every day from the collective wisdom.

The whiskey venture sounds exciting and Tassie is a beautiful place... I've heard great things about Tas whiskey from from a friend who sold whiskey in Melbourne for a living. Looking forward to a bottle of yours someday soon!

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for all your efforts over the years Bob
It was great to meet you in person. a few years ago.
Hope your new adventure is a roaring success.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 pm

All the best with your new venture, and I am certainly up for a bottle once you get it going. Although only an occasional participant, I have appreciated your calm oversight of the forum's activities over the years.

I may well put my hand up for some mandolin sized wood when you put it on the market.

Cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Yes time catches up with us all Bob. Thanks for all you have done for everyone so, much good luck and fortune in retirement and with your new venture. :dri

Steve

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Hard decision there Bob moving on is difficult although we all need to do it some time I guess .I wish you all the best life has many more chapters for you I'm sure enjoy :D .
John ,of way too many things to do.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Thank you for you efforts over the years Bob and for providing what is the best guitar forum in the country, also best wishes with your future projects.

I spent years developing my own whiskey sour mash process, experimenting with various grains and mixtures so that I got the right ratio of corn, malt and rye, old school pot distilling and char barrelling, it certainly is involved and rewarding.

Even a simple corn mash when stored for about twelve months is a beautiful thing with such a sweet flavour, liquid candy!

Is your "brand" focused on corn mash or malt or a mixture?

As others have mentioned, when your product hits market please do let us all know, I believe you have a captive audience!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone .

I have absolutely no regrets about my decision to call it a day and I'm sure the forum will continue in much the same vein as it has over previous years.

If you want to keep up with what's happening with the whisky you can check in to:

https://www.sandygraywhisky.com.au

The web site isn't totally finished yet but it's not far off.

For all of you suggesting that we'll drink the profits there won't be any product for sale until around the end of 2019. (so the whisky is safe until then)

The whisky is being made from malted barley and matured in French Oak barrels which have previously held fortified wine. So it's made in the Scottish style of single malt

So if you blokes want to help out start drinking port!!! There's a shortage of port barrels in Australia.

Cheers
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:12 pm

So Scotch?

I have a weakness for Honey Bourbon (American Whiskey)

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html