First time restoration

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

theactioncobblestone
Gidgee

First time restoration

Post by theactioncobblestone » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 am

Hey guys.

First time I've posted and this is my first attack at a strip down and fix up.

Just got a few questions. Firstly I am uncertain if these bits where this guitar is string through can come out as I'm looking to sand this guy down.

Also I got given this body without a neck. I'm not sure if I should find out what guitar this is and find the appropriate neck or just get one built and drill it's own holes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attachments
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG

simso
Blackwood

Re: First time restoration

Post by simso » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 pm

They are just string ferrules, the ferrules should be able to be pressed out from behind

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Apologies if i am stating the obvious but if i were you sometime soon i'd be sourcing a bridge and taking a few measurements to see what scale length i was going to work with, amongst other things.
And welcome also but didn't catch your name?

Steve

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:22 am

The guitar is probably a standard fender scale 25.5 inches, but it needs to be checked

Draw a line between the centres of the two bridge posts
Measure from the back of the neck pocket in a line corresponding to the run of the high E string to the line you have marked. (towards the string ferule for the high E)
Post that here and I'll check whether that is appropriate

Also check the width of the neck pocket at it's widest

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 am

My guess is the ferrules should have been on the back,looks home made it's about having fun . :D
John ,of way too many things to do.

theactioncobblestone
Gidgee

Post by theactioncobblestone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:32 am

Kamusur wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:08 pm
Apologies if i am stating the obvious but if i were you sometime soon i'd be sourcing a bridge and taking a few measurements to see what scale length i was going to work with, amongst other things.
And welcome also but didn't catch your name?

Steve
Sorry, it's Aaron.

I'll figure all the measurements out soon. The ferrules are the going to be the pain at the moment haha

theactioncobblestone
Gidgee

Post by theactioncobblestone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am

routout wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 am
My guess is the ferrules should have been on the back,looks home made it's about having fun . :D
Sweet, thanks mate.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 pm

If those ferruels are glued in, a little heat by pressing a soldering iron on to the ferrule will help them come out. Don't damage the surface of the wood or the finish with the soldering iron or by carelessness. Tap them from behind with a drift. Are there corresponding ferrules on the back of the guitar? It looks like a Yamaha or an Ibanez. A Google image search might find something.I have seen a guitar with that shape before and with the offset string ferrules. If by your term " a strip down" you mean to respray the guitar, a point to remember is that you need to figure out what kids of finish is on it. It looks like Mahogany, which would have had some grain filler or sanding sealer on it. I have had instruments in the past when I first started which needed a respray and the finish totally reacted with the new stuff I tried to put on top. "But I learn, Mr Fawlty!" Good luck! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

theactioncobblestone
Gidgee

Post by theactioncobblestone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 pm
If those ferruels are glued in, a little heat by pressing a soldering iron on to the ferrule will help them come out. Don't damage the surface of the wood or the finish with the soldering iron or by carelessness. Tap them from behind with a drift. Are there corresponding ferrules on the back of the guitar? It looks like a Yamaha or an Ibanez. A Google image search might find something.I have seen a guitar with that shape before and with the offset string ferrules. If by your term " a strip down" you mean to respray the guitar, a point to remember is that you need to figure out what kids of finish is on it. It looks like Mahogany, which would have had some grain filler or sanding sealer on it. I have had instruments in the past when I first started which needed a respray and the finish totally reacted with the new stuff I tried to put on top. "But I learn, Mr Fawlty!" Good luck! Ross
Yeah mate, it's got corresponding ferrules on the back. I think it might be a Yamaha but I can't be certain.

I'm planning on sanding it all down. I'm 98% sure it's mahogany. Pretty excited about it all.

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:59 pm

I concurr with previous poster that it is a likely hand made project body. I would guess that it's been built around an ibanez neck. It also could be as you say an early Yamaha or more likely an old Ibanez but dont see anything that confirms that. Before you do anything I'd suggest finding a neck to suit that pocket is the best starting place.

Once you have a neck in the hole you'll be able to work out bridge location and what type of bridge will work. It looks like a tune-o-matic type would have originally been used. If so the pocket will be cut at somewhere between 1.5 and 3 degrees. You may have to plug and recut the bridge post holes to suit an aftermarket Nashville Style tune-o-matic [Gotoh]. I wouldn't use an ABR 1

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:52 pm

The ferrules are your bridge in essence, you need to find a saddle that fits the existing mounting locations.

What is the distance from the end of the neck socket to an imaginary centre line between the saddle posts

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html