Posting photos and the Photobucket scam

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Posting photos and the Photobucket scam

Post by Dave Higham » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Hello everyone,
Apologies in advance if I’m posting this in the wrong place.
Although I’ve been a member and lurked from time to time, I’ve never posted very much on this forum. But I’m now making a guitar using some Australian woods I got from Bob a few years ago, so I thought it only fair that I should post a thread here.
However, I have now been hit by the Photobucket scam and I refuse to pay for what they told me was free, which means I can no longer use their service to post photos here.
So, although I’ve searched, I haven’t been able to find anything on how to upload photos to this forum. On some forums (fora?) one can upload photos directly, on others one has to use a photo hosting site. What’s the case here? And if I have to use a hosting service, which one is easy to use, reliable and free? (Ever the optimist!). What would you recommend?
Fortunately, I do have all my photos on my computer. I didn’t trust them that far.
Cheers,
Dave.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Posting photos and the Photobucket scam

Post by johnparchem » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:17 am

In this forum go to the attachment tab and .jpg it is recognised as a photo:
Add the file and chose place inlline. If you do not place in line the pictures appear in the reverse order they are added.

upoad.JPG
upload2.JPG
upload3.JPG

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Post by Dave Higham » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:38 am

Testing
12.JPG
Thanks John

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:23 am

The picture looks good.

I personally use a website hoster, they have unbelievable initial rates but after a year end up at around $150 a year for a basic site. I use both godaddy and mydomain as hosters. I have my website on mydomain and I manage a bunch of wordpress sites on godaddy. To host a site get a domain name (this generally is part of the plan from the hoster, but domain management and host ing are really two different functions). Once you have a domain with a hosted website, you can use an FTP client or even windows explorer to manage the file system on the hosted server. From my PC I create folders for each project and upload my photos to those folders. A website is just something you have on your hosted server and is not even necessary to host your photos on your site. It is easy to change hosters as you can just copy your site to the new hoster when it is set the way you like you just point your domain at the new server. The domain name abstracts the name and location of the hoster and server as you will see in the path to the photo below. Once the photos are on your hosted site you display them as follows

Code: Select all

[img]http://harvestmoonguitars.com/falcateclassical/bracingpattern.jpg[/img]

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:46 am

I'm sure I am missing something here but why are we talking about photo hosting sites?

If you have photos that you have taken surely you have them on your device, be it a PC or whatever. If so you can simply upload to the forum. Why does one need to involve a web based storage site?

Puzzled of the old world!
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:43 am

The quickest way to post a pic is to find it on your device using Windows Explorer (or whatever), select your pic and drag it to the text entry window on the forum. Drop it in the text entry window and it will automatically upload. Below the text entry window, the tab switches to "Attachments". Select your insertion point and hit "Place in line". Done.
DSCF7773s.jpg
DSCF7773s.jpg (290.98 KiB) Viewed 13577 times

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Post by Dave Higham » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:53 am

Apparently that's fine here, and on the MIMF and on the Luthier Community. But on some forums, like the AGF for instance, you have to use a hosting service. I was in the habit of using Photobucket but, since they decided to practise extorsion on everyone who used their free service, I posed the question as to how it works here.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:43 am
What I am now curious about is whether that is a picture from your workshop or of your workshop Trevor! :D

Either way I'm jealous. :wink:

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Definitely from the workshop.... of the rich boys and their toys.

Just to make you more jealous ( :D ), here's another shot taken around the same time. Motor yacht, helicopter and 5 tenders astern. And the sailing yacht in the background is about 40 metres long. Some, at least, appear to be getting by OK. Apparently one of these guys is rumoured to have founded an outfit called "Photobucket"...
DSCF7725s.jpg
DSCF7725s.jpg (305.61 KiB) Viewed 13465 times

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:53 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 pm
Definitely from the workshop.... of the rich boys and their toys.
Yeah but if he doesn't own at least one Gore guitar then he's just a knob like the rest of us.... :mrgreen:
Martin