Just a thought... to the moderators

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Deems Davis
Sassafras

Just a thought... to the moderators

Post by Deems Davis » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 am

I thoroughly enjoy Steve's effort to record and document his "how-to's". I may be a bit presumptuous, as it would have to be done with Steve's permission, but if Steve were willing, what about creating a 'central' location for all of Steve's tutorials, perhaps in the Tutorials section? It seems that the value of this forum would be enhanced, and it might make it easier for folks to find and locate this very valuable information. Just a thought...

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Just a thought... to the moderators

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Bob, Jeremy and myself will give the matter due attention. Im just home from two days of karate training with one of my Japanese Sensei's so it might have to wait until I'm able to walk again :?
Martin

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Whilst I thank the OP for the kind comments, my tutorials are no more important than anyone elses, robbies videos tutorials are always great, and everyone elses contributions are awesome as well.

I remember one of Matts repairs on a dbl bass edge and I was very impressed, things like this would be great links.

Maybe if I was so bold, you could have a general repair sticky in the tutorials section that links worth while process's, this sticky is not editable by us the general public..... that way some one could click on the sticky and if they want to see a video of how to uv, then they could click the link and it would take you to robbies tutorial, or someone wants to know how to do spherical frets and it could have links to three that I know of here.

If a sticky was made, people can search high and low for ones they liked and then send the link to a moderator to include it into the locked sticky.

That would be my thoughts, but I am casual, the tutorials I made are just to help others, so do with them what you wish, I have not copyrighted them or make money from them in any way.

More talented people out there exist than I, but most people struggle to find the time or energy.

I would love to see a tutorial from Perry, on finishing, I kid you not, Perrys finishes are flawless, and that is coming from someone who is very proud of his paintwork scrutinizing anothers work.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm

simso wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I would love to see a tutorial from Perry, on finishing, I kid you not, Perrys finishes are flawless, and that is coming from someone who is very proud of his paintwork scrutinizing anothers work.

Steve
I remember everyone losing their minds over someone wanting to sand timber to 400 grit, including comments of 'polishing turds', so my finishing tutorial wouldn't go down well here. Plus, I'm not a real luthier. I make electrics. 😂

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm
Plus, I'm not a real luthier. I make electrics. 😂
I'm not a real luthier either :)

I'd quite like to see your finishing process..
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm
Plus, I'm not a real luthier. I make electrics. 😂
Bwahahaha - :)

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,