Build tracker/database

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Build tracker/database

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Up until recently i've been using an excel document to track the details of my builds - good for tracking data, but cannot easily add images and gets messy now that i have a larger number of builds.

What are you guys using to track work in progress and completed builds?

I've been seriously thinking about building an online database behind a password accessible area on my website that will be smart phone friendly to track this including fields for; timbers used, and allows entry of any/all dimensions - top thicknesses, brace dimensions etc etc, including tap test results, in progress and completed photo uploads direct from my phone, and is easily sorted / searchable on all fields for both completed builds and builds in progress.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Build tracker/database

Post by Allen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:31 pm

I use FileMaker Pro. Just on my computer. Backups of the database in several locations

If you don't need to allow clients access to the data, then running something like that on a remote server is a bit much in my opinion.

If you want to go the home grown route, you can easily add a webserver to any OS platform out there along with the PHP and MySql packages. Then you don't need to worry about someone getting in and hacking your set up.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:15 pm

I have a small tablet which lives in the shed that i use for tap testing, taking photos, and its my media player.
My tap test data and photos upload directly to dropbox, it could easily be automatically uploaded to an online database instead. Hence why id rather not use something like filemakerpro. Im trying to avoid going to a pc to document this stuff. If i make it easier to update as im building i figure the more documenting i'll do.

I have an IT background (network & sys admin), and in recent times owned an IT company which i sold 2 weeks ago. I have a half rack in the global switch datacentre running my web and database servers for several hobbies and other business interests. I would run this database directly on one of these servers.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Here is a link to a software that was designed by Aussie luthier Peter White of Fish Creek Guitars. It won't run on my antique computer, so I can only vouch for Peter, who is a great guy and very generous. He has a background in software engineering.-Ross
http://www.whistlingfishsoftware.com.au ... kbench.htm
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"