How to install pre-amp to Ukelele

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

How to install pre-amp to Ukelele

Post by simso » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Attachments
HTS Install Preamp Ukelele.JPG
HTS Install Preamp Ukelele.JPG (160.6 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: How to install pre-amp to Ukelele

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Another great tute thanks Steve.
Martin

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Thats cool, thanks Steve...
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 am

Once again a great effort, Steve. However I offer the following critique of this one...
I try to avoid sticking the string holder to either the soundboard or the back, I prefer to hold the loose cables via the sides as they don't vibrate as much and that often avoids rattles.
The saddle slot in this case was obviously deep enough, but the rule is to make sure that there is an ample amount of saddle itself in the slot. Ideally about one half of the saddle height above the saddle slot and the other half within the slot.
Often with an older instrument which is just short of a neck reset the bridge has been shaved down to lower the action, and there is a pretty tight margin for error. That is why the thin piezos like the B-Band UST is a good choice in that case. I have also seen saddle slots routed so deep that there is only a thin half a soundboard thickness left for the string load!
Many piezo pickups that I have has issues with have been the result of poor contact between the saddle and the piezo or the piezo and the bottom of the saddle slot-either the bottom of the saddle slot isn't flat, the saddle slot is a different width to the saddle, eg too wide and the saddle rolls, or the bottom edges of the saddle are grabbing. A fine bevel on each side of the bottom of the saddle usually cures this, if it is an issue. This is particularly true with the B-Band UST piezos which are ultra thin. So I always check the saddle slot for width, depth and flatness, and match the width of the piezo to the width of the saddle. On one guitar I fixed recently, someone had placed matches either end of the saddle slot to raise the action, resulting in poor contact between the piezo and the bottom of the slot, along with rolling of the saddle as it was sitting too high out of the slot. The result of all these issues is uneven volume from string to string. I actually like finding this kind of shoddy workmanship, because it is an easy fix and the customer sees me as a miracle worker having complained that their piezo needs replacing! :mrgreen:
One other problem I have repaired is that the hole where the piezo goes through the soundboard is directly under either the bottom or top string, resulting in poor contact and loss of volume for that string only.
I note that throughout all your tutes, your hands are getting good at taking "selfies" of each other! :D
Kind regard, Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 am

All good, and I agree with your points, many times I have to route saddle slots deeper to achieve desired bridge to saddle ratio.

If you click the end pin link, you see I normally clip cables to the sides as well, this one was top clipped as that's what happens with the factory fitted Córdoba units.

I also had to fit a dual element L R Baggs Anthem to a lowden that had a split saddle at the same time, had to make spacers to clear the massively oversized braces internally.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:08 am

I also had to fit a dual element L R Baggs Anthem to a lowden that had a split saddle at the same time, had to make spacers to clear the massively oversized braces internally.
Did the spacers add even more mass to the bridge and braces? Did the acoustic volume drop and the bass resonances change? Lowdens I have worked on usually have fairly light bracing and a nice tone and volume acoustically...
With massively oversized braces, and plugged into an amp, it would have been a louder-en after the pickup was installed!-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:01 pm

The braces I fitted were three standoffs to lower the LR Baggs control interface, the sound hole brace was tied into the tongue and into the neck block, it had a height of approx 12mm.

It would not have added any audible change due to added mass IMO, as this area was so heavily re-inforced.

Fitting two ribbons was interesting to account for the split saddle

This morning, I am fitting a LR Baggs element system to a Martin.

I am also retro fitting monday a custom Taylor with the same LR Baggs Element system.

As you can guess, I get a lot of these

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,