Acoustic Electric Amplifier Resources

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

stunami
Wandoo

Acoustic Electric Amplifier Resources

Post by stunami » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi All : )

I'm building my first Acoustic Electric guitar but only have experience playing unamplified Classical/Flamenco guitars..

Does anyone know of one or two good online resources where I can bring myself up to speed with Acoustic Amplifiers? (Looking to get a basic understanding of the technology & features to look for before I go out and purchase my first amp...)

Cheers :)

stu

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Acoustic Electric Amplifier Resources

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Stu. There will be a few members with answers to your questions. Kym Bell I know plays alot with acoustics through amp systems so He'll no doubt chime in.
Martin

stunami
Wandoo

Post by stunami » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Cheers Martin :)

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 pm

My opinion of acoustic amplifiers: The best sounding acoustic amplifier is the AER Domino. Costs but you get what you pay for. Go to a shop and try the different ones in your price range. I use a Schertler Jam 150, due to the price I could afford at the time. But the AER eats it alive for tone versatility and build quality. Noise free and excellent effects, lots of inputs, mic phantom power and DI output. The smaller AER amps are not so good, but still a cut above the rest. They even make a battery powered one which I have also used. But the Domino has the headroom and the tone! If you are playing solo guitar gigs or small acoustic style gigs, one of the smaller AER's would be good for public transport. Choose your pickups wisely, do your research and also look into acoustic pre amps and tone shaping devices which have DI output for sending to a PA or amp.
The Domino is like a small PA- You can run a whole gig on one, vocals, bass and all.
Good luck, Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi Stu,
Welcome to the forum mate.
I have a Marshall AS 50D acoustic amp and love it.
You can purchase them for around the $500 mark and I run a weissenborn and acoustic guitar fitted with k&k mini western pickups and they sound great.
The AER is certainly in a different class and are very good but if you are on a budget the I recommend the Marshall.
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

stunami
Wandoo

Post by stunami » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 am

Cheers Guys - Appreciate the suggestions :)

I'm more a play at home kinda guy so while the AER is tempting, the Marshall sounds more my speed - I suspect the neighbours will also be happier...

scripsit
Myrtle

Post by scripsit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 am

I play solo acoustic fingerstyle. I got one of the Roland 30 watt acoustic amps to play through at home, with the aim of getting used to amplified sound. This is the model that can be loaded up with batteries to play out where there is no mains power.

It's fine in the average lounge room, and would probably be OK in a very small public space with 30 or so people. Definitely not loud enough for pub gigs or anything bigger.

I also found that it was very hard to get a 'realistic' tone that stayed consistent as the volume was wound up. The problem (and it was the same in many of the acoustic amps I've tried in music shops) seems to be in the mid-range, where it's easy for the sound to get 'farty'.

The only real fix was to get a decent preamp, and run the guitar signal into this before the amplifier itself. I use a Radial PZ-pre, and this made it much easier to dial in a consistent sound.

When I went shopping for a 'real' amp I tried most of the usual suspects. I thought the AER models shaded the Fishmans, although AER is very expensive. None of the amps I could try in music shops worked for me relying just on their own tone controls, and the 60-110W ones were all heavy and clumsy to move around.

I ended up with one of these:
http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=376
which I use with the Radial preamp. So far I've been able to get the tone I want out of all of my guitars through this setup, with the added advantage of a bigger bass and more throw than with the cabinet style amps I tried.

I bought the Nano online for cheaper than I could find it locally, even with delivery fees.

I should note that my guitars have Fishman ellipse blend pickups, UST combined with internal microphones, so this (at least the microphone) probably influences the mid-range sensitivities I notice.

So, short answer, you need to take the guitar you are using to the different amps and try them out.

Kym

stunami
Wandoo

Post by stunami » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Awesome - Cheers Kym :)

I had planned to take the guitar with me when testing Amps - your comments re. Pre-Amps are much appreciated and give me a bit more to consider/think about...

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:43 pm

A few references I've used in the past when looking at guitar amplification etc. are:

Inside Tube Amps (Dan Torres)
Guitar Gadgets (Craig Anderton)
Guitar Electronics for Musicians (Donald Brosnac)

To be honest, I don't think I'd be rushing out to buy any of these, but collectively they give a view of what is important in guitar electronics and amplification.

I haven't tested any recent products (last 5 years or so) but prior to that anything remotely affordable sounded, well, just like a guitar amp, whether it was supposed to be for an acoustic guitar or not.

There seem to be a few things that let the usual combo systems down - impedance matching to your pick-ups on the input, which if it is not "in the zone" (for whatever your guitar/pick-up needs) gives you an EQ effect whether you want it or not, which you then have to try to EQ out; then there's the frequency response of the (pre)amp itself, which never seems to be anything like flat or full range on the instrument inputs (I plug into a mic input for a better sound) and then there are the speakers themselves. To sound like a real guitar you need a speaker that has a wide, flat response with good dynamics, which you won't general find in a combo system. So I tend to agree with Kym (above); you're likely better off with a good pre-amp and a PA if you want to play out. If you just want to play in, a good preamp plugged into a good hifi will sound a lot better than most so-called acoustic guitar amps out there.

My guitars sound best (i.e. like a real acoustic guitar) when plugged into my good old (1980s) NAD amp driving my Dallas II rear loaded horn full range speakers. But each speaker weighs 45kg, so hardly portable!

stunami
Wandoo

Post by stunami » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Brilliant - Cheers Trevor :)

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 am

In my experience playing live accoustic guitars always sound best using a DI into the PA. Ive played them through top quality valve amps and it is a poor solution. If you need to use a stand alone amp, solid state is favoured by many players. Most of the big brand names have acoustic amps available and as has been suggested a tour of guitar shops is in order.

Many year ago I used to rehearse an acoustic trio at a mates house and the other guitarist had rigged up a DI unit direct to his hi fi system. As I remember it the tone he had was amazing. Not sure whether it was the quality of his impressive looking hifi or the quality of the green stuff that was ingested during our sessions :)

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:34 am

Not sure whether it was the quality of his impressive looking hifi or the quality of the green stuff that was ingested during our sessions
Vegetarians do tend to play with more clarity!
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"