Suppliers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

benldwyer
Sassafras

Suppliers

Post by benldwyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi All,
I'm setting up a workshop and about to spend about 4-5K on bandsaw, drill press etc.. From my research I have found Carbatec and Machinery House. MH seem good, Carbatec don't have much in stock with 2-3 month wait on most goods....Are there any other suppliers people could recommend? Just thought I'd check all of my options before diving in. I am on the Gold Coast so Brisbane is not a problem for pick up.
Thanks in advance,
Ben

Fisherman
Blackwood

Re: Suppliers

Post by Fisherman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:46 am

In QLD there is also Gregory's machinery. I found their service when buying is great, but really terrible when i had a warranty issue (with my Laguna).

In NSW there is Trend Timbers- they also stock band saws etc.

IMO get what you can from Machinery House - i've always had wonderful service from them, good equipment, and good deals on freight. Also, I can highly recommend their twin drum sander if u have the space...

I haven't bought from Carbatec so cant comment about them. Dont forget about gumtree - some great second hand deals if u are patient - but make sure you can inspect etc first...

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:52 am

MC house here are pretty good they did a while ago source ty machinery that was of better quality some times i buy a better bearing here and there but they are cheep and a great upgrade :D .I have a BP 430 band saw that I use to cut backs and sides it's a great saw ,the small spiral thickenesser which loves figured wood ,as above a big drum sander would have been great but I got the little one along with the L 80 belt sander ,I have had them a fer years now things were cheaper back then .So I do use Carbatec foe special tools on rare occasions most things I make myself .
John ,of way too many things to do.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 am

Gregory's machinery, got myLaguna there, also Hare and Forbes

Rod
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 am

For bandsaws, the Laguna is a pretty fine unit.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

benldwyer
Sassafras

Post by benldwyer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks Gents, I will have a look at these places as well.
Ben

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:47 pm

I've got a mixture of Carbatec and Jet equipment. The Carbatec 14" bandsaw has never caused me any trouble. The Jet Performax drum sander is a disappointment, The Jet 10" table saw is ok as is the Jet dust extraction system. I bought the Jet stuff off a mob here in Adelaide who have since gone out of business.....the service from the latter and also Jet's head office was very bad. Carbatec are now handling Jet here in Adelaide.
Martin

quartpopt
Gidgee

Post by quartpopt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 pm

I got the Swisstec drum sander from Gregory in Brisbane. Very happy with it for three years. I nearly bought the Jet, no comparison. The Swisstec comes with a second drum that is a nylon brush, but was able to knock off the price of that as I had no use for it. This one has a variable drum speed, but I have never used it. Rugged little machine, and good service. The model may have changed... mine has an enclosed stand. I'd buy the same machine again. Good dust exraction essential.
When the machine is not being used cover up the electronics, I know of two people who destroyed speed controls on Jets with dust. Make up carrier boards for thin stock or bevels (e.g.lining strips). Abrasives can be soaked overnight and cleaned up with water blaster. Good sections can be glued on counter offcuts for sanding boards.
On another note, the Resawking bandsaw blade is good on the Laguna 18". Doing it again I'd stick with 14"...at the time I had just cut down a northern silky oak and wanted to resaw it. Keep a cheaper second blade for cutting stock with unknown surprises in side!