Moving workshop contents to New Zealand

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Fidlab
Gidgee

Moving workshop contents to New Zealand

Post by Fidlab » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi all, my name is Richard and I'm a Violin making kiwi that's been in Ireland/UK the last 15 years.... Moving back to NZ in December and need to get wood, tools, wooden jigs, varnish/glue etc (whole workshop basically) into New Zealand and I'm freaking out about both the costs, gst, duties, stuff getting seized/destroyed.... Any advice HUGELY appreciated, can't wait to get home!
Regards
Rich

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Moving workshop contents to New Zealand

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Rich, I'm pretty sure if you're moving house back to NZ then all your workshop tools etc would be classed as personal chattels. I don't think GST and duties would apply. All you'd be up for is the usual MAF inspection with associated fees and additional fees if any wood etc needs fumigation. Hide glue might be an issue being an animal product.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-recr ... l-effects/
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 pm

When we moved to Australia all we had to pay was a $300 fee for fumigation of our container once landed, and a brokerage fee to get everything through the port. Wasn't much from memory.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Paying to have it fumigated at the destination end is the best and cheapest option.

I have payed and had things shipped and fumigated at the departure ports only to have to have it done again on arrival.

Could not imagine any issues that would arise, but that would be best left to someone that lives in New Zealand to actually advise on.

Good luck with the move

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Does anybody know what is used to fumigate? Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 pm
Does anybody know what is used to fumigate? Ross
All explained here:

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/forest ... uirements/
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:54 am

All explained here:
http://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/forest ... uirements/
Well, having googled those substances mentioned in the NZ import health standards, I see that they are extremely dangerous. I would be airing the load for quite some time, personally, if I had no option but to go through the customs requirements. Also, sulphuryl fluoride is classified as a greenhouse gas. Both substances have been banned in many countries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfuryl_fluoride
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromomethane

Apparently there are alternatives.
From my brief reading, out of curiosity, if the risky imports are wood that has been "processed" and clean, (sawn luthier timbers might qualify) and are deemed for personal use ie non commercial, there may be a case for non fumigation...a customs inspection is all that is needed, particularly when the import is from a European country. It might also carry some weight to mention that the timbers have been stored for a long time at their previous address.
So worth investigating. These two fumigants are now only used for imported goods fumigation and it is the recommendation of the Montreal Protocol that they be phased out.
Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Just adding to my last post. Ireland has not so many biohazards that can travel within a load of wood and personal effects, other than the usual English wood borers that are already around in NZ and quite easily detected and dealt with. It would be a shame to unwittingly knock off any stowaway Leprachauns! Your luck may run out!!!-Ross

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:18 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 pm
Just adding to my last post. Ireland has not so many biohazards that can travel within a load of wood and personal effects, other than the usual English wood borers that are already around in NZ and quite easily detected and dealt with. It would be a shame to unwittingly knock off any stowaway Leprachauns! Your luck may run out!!!-Ross
The New Zealand Ministry of Ag and Fish (MAF) have always taken a hard approach to any potential biohazards entering New Zealand. They don't have foot an mouth and a bunch of other diseases that Australia has. I recall many years ago when I was returning to Australia via New Zealand from an offshore job in Trinidad. I had my safety boots with me and they were soiled with synthetic based drilling mud. SBM mud is a brew of chemicals that no living thing would last 30 seconds if it came into contact with the stuff. Never the less the MAF boys took my boots way saying they'd clean them. Half an hour later they returned with my boots having failed to remove any of the SBM mud.....theyd given up.

If youre taking wood into NZ then one important way to avoid alot of attention from MAF then make sure theres no bark on your wood.
Martin

Fidlab
Gidgee

Post by Fidlab » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:15 am

Thanks all for your input, I'm in a shared container so I think I'll ring someone in customs and find out exactly where I'll stand.... The wood will almost definitely be fumigated, then there's the problem of varnish (home-made and commercial) and chemicals, glue, horse hair, ebony without certs, etc.... Look forward to meeting some of you folk over the years to come