needing templates cut and inlay work CNC

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

needing templates cut and inlay work CNC

Post by old_picker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 am

Morning all. My usual operator is not responding to emails or texts so I assume he is too busy to do this job for me. I have generated EPS files which I believe should be readable by most CNC software. There are 3 body templates, a headstock plate and a couple of access covers.
Any recommendations?

demonx
Blackwood

Re: needing templates cut and inlay work CNC

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 pm

I do this type of work by an hourly rate. I am located near Ballarat.

Are you supplying material? Probably best to PM me. EPS is useless to me, I can sometime import DXF and similar, however as my software uses its own format there could be extensive re drawing needed to make it useful. It's usually after for me to draw things from scratch than to make other formats workable.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Yep dxf is the go to file extension for cnc work
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Don't know of any CNC software that will use EPS files. DXF is the standard one to import into every program I use.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Allen wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:10 pm
Don't know of any CNC software that will use EPS files. DXF is the standard one to import into every program I use.
He is drawing in art software, not modelling software, so they're not compatible file types and cannot be converted. I just spent half an hour trying to convert one file heaps of different ways, importing into one program and trying to export in other types to reimport and convert. I did get it to open in CAD software, but then it views as a blank sketch with no drawing to reference.

However, I do know some businesses use illustrator for their drawing and use AI files, basically the same as EPS, but they only cut 2d, like plotter cutters etc, not 2.5d or 3d like a CNC. Maybe the guy he has used in the past uses these type machines/software.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Actually my vinyl plotter accepts dxf or eps

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:00 pm

I forget what software my bloke used but it imported EPS ok. I should have learned autocad when I was younger but never really had the need for it until last couple of years. At my age I dont think i'll bother now.

Thanks for the help

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 pm

I use a free eps converter AI eps stick em in a folder ,open the program select the folder output format and bingo you got the ,bmp ,jpeg giff ,tiff, and png .From that you can convert into dxf or open with a modelling program Vectric i believe does it and off you go .There is also a version of cad free if you want to learn :D
John ,of way too many things to do.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 pm

old_picker wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:00 pm

. I should have learned autocad when I was younger but never really had the need for it until last couple of years. At my age I dont think i'll bother now.

Thanks for the help
Autocad I used for a long time, years, however it has no place in the modern world. Software evolves at such a fast rate and autocad didn't keep up. Even though they introduced a 3d version of their software they kept it like their older 2d version and its decades behind in usability. Messing about with UCS and all that crap just makes it rediculously unusable.

If we were having this conversation in the late 90's, autocad was at the head of the pack! It's so backwards now though that what would take me a week to model in Autocad takes me a day in modelling software. As I had used autocad for so many years I resisted the change, but once I did I can't even look at autocad again. I installed it last year to do work on a couple of old files and decided it was easier to delete them and draw from scratch in a program that works!