Skill sets.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Skill sets.

Post by simso » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:36 pm

I will throw up a question

I have had a few discussions of recent as to what is the best skill set to focus on when building guitars with some past customers that I taught Guitar building with.

Me first, for me, I am an average guitar builder, I build IMO nice guitars but I am far from an expert in the field, I average maybe 3-4 personal Guitar builds a year.

In my specialty field which is repairing, the most important skill set to me is finishing / colour matching, for an up and coming repairer, I would always say spend every spare moment improving finishing skills, practice practice and practice some more. I find you can be average as hell in doing the woodwork or in general anything associated with repairing an instrument, but having a good skill set in finishing is what it all come s down to.

As a builder, my opinion is different, the skill set I would focus on more is the fit and finish, spend more hrs using a chisel or plane, I would be of the opinion contract any finish work out to someone else until the fit and finish is spot on.

Two entirely different things to focus on IMO, subject to what you want to do in the field

Thoughts / opinions... what would be your recommendation as a point of focus for a person wanting to be a guitar builder.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Skill sets.

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 am

I'm too green to add much, but I can say that I think finish is my weakest point and what I like least. I love building, loath finishing.
Trent

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 am

lamanoditrento wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 am
I'm too green to add much, but I can say that I think finish is my weakest point and what I like least. I love building, loath finishing.
Yep same here......as a Frenchman would say..."Your French eez sheet and so eez your French Polishing!!".
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 am

Geometry,
Too many guitars from individual builders and established factories come with neck angles that prevent proper setup.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 pm

CONSCIOUSNESS!
Every accident/disaster I have had has been due to unconsciousness. I bought a spindle moulder some years back off a cabinet maker. I visited him some years later to look at his new machine and as we hadn't seen one another for a while, we shook hands. He had fingers missing. I hadn't bought any cutters for that unit and sold it straight away. So many cabinet makers I have met have had the same accident.
The further we get into a luthier build the more care has to be taken. When using tools the last cut has to be done with the sharpest blade. Taking the extra time to be conscious and sharpen that last time!
The foundations have to be in the right place for any building. I recently modified a body mold to accommodate a repair, then un-modified it. In the process I left a pencil mark where I shouldn't have and didn't check the alignment of the mold. The result...the centre line is way off and the guitar is now only good enough to be a four sting tenor!!! Damn! Should be more conscious.
Skills can be learned-what you practice you will become, so to cut to the chase, I feel that practicing consciousness is where it all begins. For any process in life. In aviation there is a saying: "The outcome of any manoeuvre shall never be in doubt!"
Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Good reply Ross, all good comments from everyone so far, I am merely passing this information on, helps to have some perspective.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Finish

If doesn't look good no one is going to pick it up to try it.

But the skill set I have to improve - apart from everything - is patience. To many set backs frpm taking the clamps off to soon!

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Yep all relevant ,me just enjoy your work all the instruments and related gear on here are as good as it gets .I read an old fiddle maker said I have not made my best Instrument yet and he may never that's it rite :)
John ,of way too many things to do.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Yes consciousness, concentration, focus, call it what you will, you simply can't just coast along.

I would add that working to specific dimensions is also crucial. I have made a fair bit of furniture but although you need to be in the right area of overall size it generally doesn't matter about a few mm here or there. One makes each component to fit each other rather than to a specific size. Not so with the musical instrument. If a fretboard should be 52 mm at the nut then that is what it has to be, not some approximation.
------------------
Dave

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Patience. 8)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Dave M wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 pm
Yes consciousness, concentration, focus, call it what you will, you simply can't just coast along.

I would add that working to specific dimensions is also crucial. I have made a fair bit of furniture but although you need to be in the right area of overall size it generally doesn't matter about a few mm here or there. One makes each component to fit each other rather than to a specific size. Not so with the musical instrument. If a fretboard should be 52 mm at the nut then that is what it has to be, not some approximation.
One has to be flexible and have a plan in place if a dimension doesn't end up exactly the same as on the drawing. I often find that exact neck width at the nut will depend on other body and neck dimensions after the body has come out of the mold. I try and build looking ahead and pre-empting anything that doesn't quite go to plan.
Martin

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 am

If you want to do it for a living, I'd suggest doing a marketing course.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 pm

If you want to sell your creations, I am with Nigel, marketing. Marketing is something most of us are not good at, and don't spend enough time on.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 am

Agreed with Nigel, marketing, might even buy his book as it’s the one thing I’m simply not motivated to consider, hence clients come thin and slow.

Other than that, meditation, being mindful of the whole experience, relaxing into every cut as if it was the finishing touch, being connected and conscious of every fibre of wood in the guitar.

And if I ever get close to it I’ll write a bloody book!
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Mmm, whilst I agree with marketing, its not really a skill a person should focus on when they are starting out.

Example joe 1, has done a guitar building course, he has now built one guitar at home, decides he would like to do some more but really does not know what skill would be the best to concentrate on, you tell him marketing.

Marketing for me is a necessary tool if you struggle after being a builder, but, you have to crawl before you can run, so you have to be able to make something before you can market it.

Just my opinion

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Some key skills such as finishing or sharpening can develop quite quickly if u have access to the right learning resources. For those of us who start with minimal skills, we have access to so much info these days yet , for me, many categories of skills have developed slowly because i relied so much on rhe written word. At the end of the day there's no substitute for a skilled person showing u how to do things and then watching/coaching u try and do them. 16 guitars over 12 years and only now am i starting to feel more confident with SOME finishing processes. I think i could have avoided a lot of frustration by speding a few hours with an expert at the right time.
However there are other types of valuable skills which u can't fast track in this way. I think very differently about how i might approach certain steps in the building process these days than i did 10 years ago. The gradual improvement in the quality of jigs and approaches leaving me confident that what i am about to do will be spot on involve skills and awareness that has developed gradually. I have found this aspect very rewarding & satisfying.
Perhaps Simso's initial question was directed more at 'hard' skillsets such as finishing. 'Soft' skills such as patience, a drive to learn/improve, explore, reflect etc are also vital and contribute to the mix of strengths or weaknesses we bring to the task. If patience is not a strength, u can do something about it but it will probably take longer than improving yr sharpening skills.
...a bit of a rave folks but all of that went thru my mind as i read people's responses.
Frank.